[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many hours do you spend on art a day? Feng Zhu said you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 0117-010.jpg (619 KB, 2133x1573) Image search: [Google]
0117-010.jpg
619 KB, 2133x1573
How many hours do you spend on art a day?

Feng Zhu said you should do 6-8 hours everyday for at least a year. Is there anyone here who does that?

After 3 hours of art I cannot do anymore. How do you increase this?
>>
Everyone has different work habits. I'd think if you don't have any projects you're passionate about or aren't getting paid for your work, 3 hrs a day is plenty. Artists setting how many hours to work is just a sneaky way of bragging about how much they worked themselves.
>>
>>2548543
Bumping this.
I'm similar except that I spend around 5 hours, yet I easily get overwelmed when I learn new things and techniques. All I can say is as long as you're healthy and exercise regularly you'll be able to improve. So far, I found that doing studies on something specific a day like e.g. landscapes, armor, and animals/chimera combos helps.
>>
>>2548543
I need a break after a 1h-1h30 session. I tend to focus very strongly on art, much more than on my job, so I need some time to come out of that before I can dive back into it. Minding breaks I can to 6-7h on a weekend day. Without good breaks I tend to go for 3h at max.
>>
>>2548557

I don't think anything is wrong with doing 3 hours a day, the point is that Feng Zhu says is that someone putting in 6-8 hours a day is going to be improving double the rate of someone putting in 3-4. that and if your planing to do this for a job, chances are your going to need to put in a least 8 hours day to make a living, maybe 6 if your working 7 days a week.

That said, inb4 we start a debate about how magically 4 hours a day of study is better than 8+
>>
>>2548543
>How do you increase this?

Take a break when you begin to lose concentration, then come back and work on a new "chunk" of work.
There's no point in "forcing" yourself as there will be diminishing returns once your mind is going astray. No way you can just decide to go from 3 to 8 hours without burning out.
Every week try to add an extra time, no matter how small. After a while, you'll be so used to it that you'll be able to take less breaks and work for longer times.

Check this if you're interested on the subject: don't let the title fools you, he actually talks about studying on your own 6 hours per day, not about any "magical tricks":
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0
>>
>>2548654

>No way you can just decide to go from 3 to 8 hours without burning out.

Many have done it, me included, only way to see is to test it yourself.

>talks about studying on your own 6 hours per day, not about any "magical tricks":

6 hours a day is infinitely better than 3 hours a day, but you can follow his tips and even do 12 hrs a day.

The idea of significant diminishing returns is just silly, If you take breaks every 30 mins to 1hr you'll be fine no matter if you do 12 hrs instead of 3.

Most pros I've read who explain their study habits did so at around the 8-13 hrs a day mark. It's a time proven method which has worked over and over. Doing less hours will not be comparable or even better, but you can believe it if you want.
>>
i'm having hard time concentrating and being "fully there" when i do studies, i was one of those people who didn't study the whole semester at uni, then before finals i would find myself being able to make myself intensely concentrated on studies with little to no sleep. always wished i could do that on daily routine instead of having head in the clouds.
>>
File: 1454489894793.png (470 KB, 1115x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454489894793.png
470 KB, 1115x1600
>>2548543
>>
>>2549865
>>2549838
>>2548654
>>2548654
>>2548585
>>2548577
>>2548562
>>2548557
>>2548543

Well, how about we all put our brains together and write out a schedule for a 24 hour period?
>>
>>2548543
I'm currently at 4-8 hours a day. Really depends on my stamina each day.
But there are some days when I just can't draw a single straight line. I take those off.

My motivation comes from my online followers. They make me happy when they like a new picture from me.
>>
I would say change it up and have many different pieces you are working on so you don't completely get bored. Even then its gonna be pretty difficult though. Maybe try working 1-2hours in one sitting and then doing something relaxing and fun to get your mind off and then doing other 1-2hours and repeat untill you have something like 6hours done for the day.
Also its not really the time you put in if you are not focused on what you are doing. Intense 1hour of work is way better than 3hours of somewhat okay work where you check some posts on 4chan here and there and don't really focus on what you are doing.
>>
i was, and have tried and failed repeatedly to the point where 6 hours consecutively seems too lax for me, but in the end i cant ever escape the feeling of putting up a false front. like the ss telling the jews that all they needed to do was work hard in the factory line and theyll be set free soon enough. i feel like one of those kikes. and a side of me that i dont know the origins of continuously mocks me and laughs maniacally. "LOOK AT HIM GO! AIN'T HE PRECIOUS??? WHAT A FOKKEN RIOT!!!" And I just stop. This is what happened last time, only a couple days ago. I havent touched the pencil since.

i think it reaches back to when my mom once saw me drawing and got angry. She saw it as killing time. Pretending.

I don't know what to do senpai. I wish I didn't laugh at myself!!!
>>
>>2550266

you might be retarded.
>>
>>2550177
Hmm
>>
>>2550290
i honestly wonder that a lot. but ive always gotten 141 on iq tests. not the online ones, but the one they forced me to take as a child at the center away from school.
>>
I aim to do 8h a day, 6 days a week. I fall short most days but I still manage around 7h average. Right now I am trying to get myself to that solid 8h average.

It wasn't always the case. I used to have a huge problem with working consistently. Being able to draw day in day out is something I needed to work towards. One thing that helped is keeping close track of how much I drew every day and always pushing myself a little bit further. You're not gonna be able to just start drawing 40h a week out of nowhere. But you might add a couple of hours every week untill you are where you want to be.

Keeping detailed stats for each day is good to. For example this is today:

10:55 to 13:35 2:40
14:10 to 15:55 4:25
17:00 to 19:00 6:25
20:05 to 21:40 8:00

The act of writting down how much I worked throughout the day somehow gives me a feeling of accomplishment. If I managed to do 2h of something hard, writting it down feels like a reward.

Having things to actually work on also helped since art is my only source of income. I don't think I could just do studies and purely fun projects this consistently. For the last year I always took a bit more work than I could handle. Since I am lazy by nature I have to rely on outside structures for discipline.

Also switching things up helps. If after 3 hours of inking I feel sick of drawing I might work on some other project. Do some coloring, or sketching. Today I started inking after I could not handle sketching anymore.
>>
>>2550307
Also one more thing I rememberd. Every day, before I start drawing I write out a list of things I need to do. Every day is all about getting every position on that list marked out.

I think it helps having clear goals every day.
>>
>>2550307
>mfw i thought i was drawing at least 3-4 h
>mfw i timed myself today and only got to 1.5h
thats dissapointing...i was actually sit for 4 h but procastination beat me
what a reality check but i guess i needed it, thanks incase
>>
>>2549838
>6 hours a day is infinitely better than 3 hours a day

pretty sure it's just 2 times better
>>
>>2551808
No because each power level barrier is 10 times harder to break through than the last
>>
>>2550177
Only for NEETs. Since fuck wasting time for a job. Go for rich or die.
This is for beginners as well.
16ish hours will be spent on drawing. 8 hours is for everything else and sleep.
The schedule will have to be adjusted depending on your best drawing mood. Whether it's at morning, noon, afternoon or midnight.

Wake up at 6:00
Spend the next hour on a warm up. This might be drawabox or whatever. Even doodling to get your arm ready. 7:00
Now begin to do your most important skill that is essential to you and needs the most polish. It should be something like perspective, figures, or such. Do that for 2 hours. 9:00
Now if you're a breakfast person, go eat or something. If not, go to your second most important skill and work on that for 2 hours. 11:00
Go eat lunch, if not do the third most important skill. 13:00
Still haven't ate? Go do it. Then move on to your fourth most important skill. 15:00
Now pick one of the four skills for the next part. 17:00
Hungry already? If not, go back and choose another one of the four, it can even be the same one as before. 19:00.
At this point, you should have drawn enough to be able to shitpost on /ic/. So go do that for however long you want up to an hour. 20:00
Spend the next 4 hours doing what you need to for the next day, preparations such as studying or finding new material. Even just relaxing a bit. At 0:00, you'll be sleeping anyways. So make sure to set that alarm.
>>
>>2548543
I spend 8-12 hours per day on drawing since I can do it at work, but I have no idea where to go from here. Never had any structure to it other than sketch things for several hours.
>>
>>2550295
>caring about iq tests
Not. Gonna. Make. It.
>>
>>2551910
When do you cook?
When do you pee/shit/ shower/general hygiene?
When do you stretch/work out? Cause that schedule is back killing
>>
>>2553729
Just adjust it for that. It's a flexible schedule.
>>
If you train less you give your brain more time to recover and rebuild and reshape itself to learn the concept inbetween the studies

With constant studying you're hitting it with new stuff over and over and over again and its not going to stick
>>
>>2553748
>implying you understand how the brain works
>>
>>2553748
ok
>>
>>2553752

Nor is Feng Zhu a neurologist.

He isn't entirely wrong. A lot of the time throwing yourself at work for 8 hours a day will get the ball rolling, what do you expect when your every spare moment is spent on art? You're basically immersing yourself in your work until something sticks.

Though, this, in itself does not seem like a healthy activity at all. I don't think that mileage is a good analogue for how learning happens. Life isn't an RPG where you just grind away at exp and reach the next level. In the case of art learning is often times sporadic and unpredictable with periods of maximal reception, as well as those of stagnation.

This not to say that Feng Zhu's method is wrong, but keep in mind that you need to be healthy both mentally and physically to maintain the diligence that your work deserves. Don't become a noodling drone, if you're 4 hours in and you feel like you're coasting, that's probably a good sign that you should put the pen down for awhile.
>>
File: 20160605_180838.jpg (51 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
20160605_180838.jpg
51 KB, 640x360
I work full time 40 hrs and I get 6-8 in on weekdays and pull on average another 12-14 on the weekends. I've been at it for a year. I have improved a bit but I'm still total shit. I think that this is because It wasn't untill the end of year one that I started to figure out how to learn. now I get more out of my sessions even if life makes them short because I am more focused. pic is value study from last week.
>>
>>2553910
How did you manage to learn how to learn?
>>
File: 20160605_180928.jpg (47 KB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
20160605_180928.jpg
47 KB, 360x640
>>2550266
I get this. A lot of people do when you feel like you are a fraud as an artist and no matter how hard you try you'll never get good. Try this, forget about outcome for a second. Seriously, just tell yourself that this is how it is going to be forever. Stop worrying about getting good and rating your own skills for a while and just have fun drawing. If you are working from a book the really try to not focus on what the study looks like. remember that ALL OF THIS STUDENT WORK ARE BASICALLY THROW AWAYS. it's the process your after. hope this helps.
>>
>>2553932
>>2553932
Being in a classsroom environment around other students and some really good, patient teachers showed me that I was essentially spinning my wheels And I really had to focus more on less to get better. although I'm hope in a year I'll say the same thing again.
>>
>>2549865
don't worry about it. just do the studies is my opinion. You have to convince you brain that no matter what it says you won't stop so it may as well help.
>>
>>2548543
>work at a multi-billion cancer corp
>hours usually 9-5 but flux on the bullshit samples given
>outside of work, social life and exercising
>drawing is getting harder to focus
I honestly need adderall
>>
l>>2551919
oh fuck off, i only wanted to check if i was retarded.
>>
>>2553910
would you be willing to share a rough lesson plan?
>>
>>2548543
>How do you increase this?
Don't count your hours, just draw. Draw anything you like with study on the side. The people that make it are the people who have gone way past the 8 hour mark and go, "Fuck me, I forgot to prepare dinner." If it doesn't interest you that much maybe it isn't for you and you're better off being a hobbyist.
>>
>>2548543
I've been having trouble drawing for more than a half hour for like the past year. I feel like I'm losing my passion for it so I keep drawing less and less and it just screws me in the end.
>>
>>2554314
50% percent of /ic/ is probably depressed and doesn't have a passion for anything. If I'd just give up everything I wasn't enjoying so much that I'd do it for 10 hours a day, I would have killed myself long ago.
inb4 kill yourself
>>
File: gerul0rt.jpg (67 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
gerul0rt.jpg
67 KB, 500x484
Instead of forcing yourself to have a fixed shedule maybe try building a simple habit.
I sometimes do 8 hours, sometimes only 3 hours and some days have no real studies and I only scribble around and have fun.
There are also days where I don't draw at all but watched a few hours of tutorials/workshops.

This worked pretty good for me, I don't like to be forced, just drains the fun.
>>
File: Questions.gif (1 MB, 428x660) Image search: [Google]
Questions.gif
1 MB, 428x660
>>2553955
>some really good, patient teachers
Honestly wish I could find some but, in my city nobody takes representational art seriously. College classes are simply there for easy As and the ones offered outside manage to be nothing more than the hug boxes people on deviantart would love.

How exactly does one hire a professional for private lessons anyway and whats the price range?
>>
>>2554621
maybe look around for ateliers, they tend to have skilled teachers
>>
>>2548543
lol FZ makes his students do 18h/day
>>
>>2554314
>>2554580
These two guys get it. If you don't like it enough to lose count of hours, you're not going to like it more when you get better and you'll be even more of a depressed wreck.
>>
>>2550266
>like the jew bankers telling the germans that all they needed to do was work hard in the factory line and theyll soon be successful as they are
There, fixed it for you.
>>
File: slap.gif (706 KB, 303x270) Image search: [Google]
slap.gif
706 KB, 303x270
>>2550177
many have tried. they usually end up writing something no human could possibly follow without getting burnout and cripple fingers. such as >>2551910 lol.

or becoming really boring as a person.. there's never a section where you study art history, or study contemporary work, or watch media relevant to your studies, or go out and do things with those neglected friends you have

>>2554023
well if you have to ask...
>>
>>2551910
>8 hours is for everything else and sleep.

This is the stupidest shit and it boggles my mind why people still do this (who am I kidding, nobody adheres to these retarded schedules).

You should have 8 hours for sleep PERIOD. Other time for several good meals, as well as hygiene.

Skipping sleep immediately kneecaps the work you're putting in. If you're tired you'll be a fraction as effective at studying as if you're rested, and you'll internalize less of it for the next day if you continuously cut sleep.

Sleep should never be the thing you cut out of any schedule where the goal is to learn. People who barely sleep are not, despite any stereotype of people burning the midnight oil, more productive. Working while exhausted is basically wasted effort.
>>
>>2555096
Not everyone can sleep 8 hours you fuck muffin. Sometimes people lay in bed for hours just thinking about shit and can't go to bed. Some people wake up early and can't fall back asleep and end up laying in bed for 2 hours. Everyone is different, faggot.
>>
>>2555738
no matter how different you are, your body still needs at least 6 hours of sleep to function correctly
if you lay in bed for hours without falling asleep, either exercise more or go to a doctor
>>
>>2555738
he said "should"

just because you can't doesn't mean you shouldn't
>>
>>2555741
>>2555738

wake up at the same time every day no matter what and only go to bed when tired. You'll get how much sleep you need that way and won't be laying in bed for 2 hours a night.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.