[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: dan chavezs.jpg (47 KB, 500x602) Image search: [Google]
dan chavezs.jpg
47 KB, 500x602
If you could go to any art school you like for free, then which school would you choose?

Are there any art schools that are objectively the best at teaching illustration, concept art or 3d?

Bonus points for schools that are from Europe.
>>
File: 1464890599379.jpg (3 MB, 3262x4982) Image search: [Google]
1464890599379.jpg
3 MB, 3262x4982
Just because your parents are paying doesn't mean it's free. Save it until you're 22 at the earliest.
>>
>let me teach you how to make "art"

Never understood the people that can't learn to draw by themselves, it's fucking trial and error
>I want my drawing to look lake "this"
>try
>Well it doesn't look good, it looks like shit
>why?
>Oh my lines are shit

>I will draw a human
>draw
>wow my human looks like shit
>why?
>looks at a real person
>oh eyes are not a perfect circle
>draw again

>I want to make this color
>mix shit up
>wow it looks nothing like I wanted
>mix again
>>
>>2548515
i dunno about european schools but in the US the school in rhode island is apparently really good for under grad...
in NYC the school of visual arts is supposed to be pretty good too.
on the west, you cant beat calarts.
>>
>>2548515
asking /ic/ about art schools is like asking a hipster about iphones
>>
>>2548520
if you find yourself in an art school you better way making fucking sure that you're one of the absolute best there at what you want to do. Like, be so fucking prolific that it hurts you and everyone else.
>>
>>2548522
>Never understood the people that can't learn to draw by themselves,
Post your art.
>>
ACCD and RISD are the finest schools for illustration in the states, to answer one of your questions.
>>
>>2548515

art center, for the name, prestige, and connections to the entertainment and animation industries.
>>
>>2548522
certainly the majority of the learning is done by yourself but people don't even know what questions to ask. Why waste time with trial and error when someone can tell you in 30 secs one of the best ways to construct a head, or see basic shapes in things, etc... it helps to have someone point you in the right direction
>>
>>2548523
>>2548571
>>2548573
Great! Thanks for your recommendations, I'll check them out.

>>2548520
What if I'm already 24?
Sure, I could git gud on my own, but I'm running out of time. I assumed that having a guidance will make this process faster.
>>
>>2548520
To be fair, the study that your picture is quoting defines "working artists" as writers, authors, artists, actors, photographers, musicians, singers, producers, directors, performers, choreographers, dancers, and entertainers.

In other words: that article is talking about all sorts of "artists" rather than 2d and 3d artists. That's why you shouldn't assume that having a degree is completely useless in this industry.
>>
>>2548515
>dan chavez.jpg
>signature is clearly Sparth
Triggered
>>
>>2548515
come to Florence
>>
>>2548515
FZD
>>
>>2549104
Good choice anon
>>
>>2549044
I have the career-specific data split at home and it's pretty consistent unfortunately. I can't remember where I found it on their website
>>
>>2548522
Well you could say this about all subjects, as all subjects are obviously discoverable without supervised learning. But it does seem to be more difficult to pass on artistic knowledge compared to other subjects.
>>
>>2548522
good luck learning how to do encaustic painting or how to cast bronze by yourself
>>
Figure I'll ask this here but right now I'm finishing up my contract in the military and am saving as much money as I can (Hopefully I'll leave with $70k). When I get out in two years I'll be able to go to Art Center for free or such a low cost that I can pay for it out of pocket, as well as living expenses. I'm also planning to spend a year after the military building a portfolio and going to Watts before Art Center. Does this sound like a good plan or are there ways I can better use my money?
>>
>>2549203
What's your current work look like? How much experience do you have?

Art Center can be a great school, but keep in mind that their ED program is pretty tough to get into, and even if you are accepted if you just scrape in then you won't learn as much as someone who is a bit more advanced. Watts also won't really teach you the same skills so isn't the best prep exactly (though it can't hurt). Probably it would do you much much better to go to something like Concept Design Academy instead of Watts if your end goal is to do Art Center.
>>
>>2549104
this desu
>>
>>2549206
Thanks, that actually makes sense. I'm taking the Dynamic Sketching class now through CGMA and was going to work through the rest of the fundamental block over the next two years but going to CDA seems like a good path to continue with. I was intending for Watts to give a good figure/portrait drawing base but yeah I guess spending only one year there isn't worth it.

My current work is /beg/-tier, here's some quick sketches I made to apply concepts from a portrait class. Hopefully with a couple years beforehand I'll be able to get good enough that I'll get a lot out of the school.
>>
File: IMG_1095.jpg (373 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1095.jpg
373 KB, 900x1200
>>2549216
Forgot image.
>>
>>2549217
I see. In my opinion the fundamentals are best learned on your own since it's largely a matter of doing a large volume of work over the course of a year or two, and the things you are learning are covered very well in books and such. It's when you are more intermediate that classes can really pay off because they will teach more personalized or important things that can be harder to unlock on your own.

Looking at your drawings you can slow down more and try to observe the shapes and forms more accurately. Construction is great but you need to be able to have solid 2d observation as well.

If you are focusing on construction then copying every diagram out of various anatomy/figure books will do you good, don't just use one, use as many as you can (Hampton, Bridgman, Vilppu, Bammes, Hogarth, and something more scientific like Peck or Goldfinger). Kevin Chen is also great:
http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

So yeah, seems like a decent plan to just draw like a madman for the next couple years, maybe start learning some digital painting too on the side at the same time. Then take some CDA courses and gun for Art Center afterwards.
>>
>>2549227
Thanks, I don't post here often but it's always nice when this place gives good advice.
>>
>>2549227
>>2549206

>tfw you're a paid shill giving up Saturday night to shill
>>
>>2549262
Ha, I wish I was getting paid for posting on /ic/
>>
>>2548515
>If you could go to any art school you like for free, then which school would you choose?

An atelier, probably Watts.

Or the Kubert School.
>>
>>2549203
>Does this sound like a good plan

Tbqh fampai, with the Chapter 33 bennies you have nothing to lose going to art school. You get 100% tuition plus E5 BAH. If you don't plan to also work you'll probably have to take a small student loan for living expenses even with BAH.
>>
>>2548515
Art center, don't even consider anything else. There are no good art school specializing in what you're interested in in Europe.

90% of the most respected concept artists cam from Art Center.
>>
>>2549203
Sounds like a great plan, mate. Are you from Cali?
>>
>>2548694
>What if I'm already 24?

Average ACCD age is 25-26
>>
>>2548694
Also

>I'm running out of time
Do you plan to die soon or find wife or smth? How do you run out of time? Especially in such thing as art?
>>
>>2548515
Is Watts Atelier good enough?

I'm starting to worry about art schools now
>>
Either Watts atelier or the Repin academy on St. Petersburg
>>
>>2549844
really wtf? for undergrad?
>>
>>2550256
It used to be that the average age of first year students was like early or mid 20's. I don't think that's true anymore though as the last decade or so they have been shifting towards picking up kids at 18 or 19 who show the most potential.
>>
>>2550261
And using crippling debt to cull that potential lmao.
>>
Calarts/SCAD for animation, and Concept Design Academy for knowing how to draw in general.

Art Center is like the grad school for the arts. The average age is 25 but they've been picking up younger artists with less skill (but backed up by the bank of Mom&Dad) recently because they gotta make that $$ somehow.

Tell me more about Watts.
>>
why does art school cost so much
>>
>>2550395
A. Rich parents are willing to pay for it
B. Artists are not good with money and let them get away with it
C. All tuition in the states have ballooned to an untenable rate, which we're seeing affect the more recent generations now. It's definitely a bubble, but when it's going to pop and who'll be in the blast radius can only be guessed at.
>>
>>2550395
>>2550404
>>2550367
>>2550317

The right art schools for people that put in the work are undoubtedly valuable, but the price just makes it stupid to do it. The general rule of thumb is to take on as much debt as you can make as one year starting salary. What do professional artists make starting out assuming they are even able to find full-time work when they graduate? Certainly less than 4 years or so of art school. It's just ridiculous in America.
>>
File: ASK.jpg (4 MB, 1752x6197) Image search: [Google]
ASK.jpg
4 MB, 1752x6197
>>2550404
There are not enough rich parents in the world to fill these schools halls. Make no mistake, they make their money by filling their prospective, often middle-class students heads full of bullshit. Even schools that have something to teach (which are the exception rather than the rule) are guilty of encouraging hopeless cases of the sort they've seen come through thousands of times before to apply and have their financial futures ruined.
>>
>>2550431

Art schools are valuable, but not for 100k+. A good school is the exception not the norm. It's a crime to make art students pay as much as med students, for example, especially knowing that most artists won't make as much as doctors do.

I think encouraging young students to go for ateliers and cheaper academies is a solution. Hell, even community college is better option for the level of most art students who come into freshman year. Art schools get away with high prices because people let them.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.