[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Material Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 51Bqcjy192L._SY300_.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51Bqcjy192L._SY300_.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
I'm going to be working at a job over the summer that gives me two hour breaks and weekends off but otherwise I've got no time online and no time on a tablet.

I wanted to know what type of materials do ya'll use so I could purchase some before I leave on my job.

Pic related, gonna buy some Prang's for color sketching.
>>
File: red.gif (576 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
red.gif
576 KB, 500x306
it kind of depends on what you prefer and what art you make honestly.

I personally would take a multi-media sketchbook, micron pens, a white gel pen, something to color with. I guess colored pencils in your case, for me, those take too long to color in large spaces, so I use markers. Prismacolor markers blur your ink for sure though. it can have a nice affect if intended.

Or you could use good ol' pencil and eraser. I dislike anything lighter than 2B. A kneaded eraser is really fucking helpful too.
>>
Buy all the things. A few sketchbooks and a pencil wrap with some graphite/color pencils, brush pens, markers, and a technical pen/rollerball/fountain pen/whatever the fuck you like. Maybe a small box with some watercolors or gouache and a waterbrush. If you're carrying stuff to work every day a big box of color pencils is probably going to be clunky.
>>
Colored pencils are extremely time consuming. I prefer sketching with a pencil then doing line work with a pen and finishing it with markers and details on top with colored pencil.

Your lines wont run if you use the right kind of ink with it. Most microns and Fiber Castell inks are not dissolved by the alcohol. The markers give you a very quick way to lay down brilliant colors and then you can do detail work with the pencils.

The biggest down side to this is the cost. Markers, pencils, and paper with a smooth finish are expensive.
>>
Aside from a good quality sketchbook with a hardcover (softcover is annoying if you don't have a hard surface to draw on and a hardcover will also protect your drawings better while in a backpack/pocket or the like) and pencil(s) + eraser I'd suggest some waterproof fineliners or brushpens and a small (=12 half-pans) watercolor travel set and a waterbrush.
Advantages:
Even comperatively cheap student grade watercolors like W&N Cotman, Royal Talens Van Gogh, Lukas Studio, etc. are fairly decent. A travel set isn't going to break your bank (=not a tragedy if you lose it or if it gets damaged) and you can mix most if not all colors you need with it.
Also nowhere near as time consuming as colored pencils to work with.

Downside: Watercolor can have a bit of a learning curve to it, especially if you don't know how to mix colors yet.

Alcohol markers like copics are easier to use, but they're also expensive and you can't really mix colors or get a large range of values from a single marker, so you'd have to lug around quite a few of them to do color work.
If you want to try markers, I recommend starting with a set of grey tones for value studies. Make sure to get ones that have a brush nib.
>>
>>2548199
just take graphite pencils and a sketchbook
it takes forever to do something nice with colored pencils
>>
Unless you really like color, get a set of warm or cool grey markers in a few values and use those instead. Easy to carry and good utility.
>>
>>2548369
I usually sketch with pen, and I can't find a lot of markers that aren't ridiculously expensive.

>>2548420
I'm working as a camp counselor so getting all of those will be too bulky and I can use the colored pencils for coloring stuff too, hence why I'm getting Prang before Prisma.

>>2548436
I'm not really looking to do big art, just sketches and trying to keep up to get the habit of working every day while I'm working.

>>2548497
A nice watercolor set would be nice but I don't think I'd really use it with how busy I'll be. Markers would be nice, and I've done work before in school/personal projects but maybe some greys would be good to work on things.

>>2548559
I'm not looking to do anything nice though, just some sketching.

>>2548602
Thanks.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.