[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
broken hand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
I broke my dominant hand /ic/, and i'll have a cast for 2 more weeks. What can I expect in terms of drawing skill loss? Is there something I can do to reduce it?
>>
Nothing that you can't recover from. Don't break it again in the future. Now make a cast that can hold a pencil and start using that shoulder you've been honing for a moment like this.
>>
Just tape your drawing implement on.
>>
Drawing skill loss? From two weeks? If you stop riding a bike for two weeks do you suddenly lose the ability to ride? No. It might take you a minute to get back to it but you don't lose anything permanent.
>>
Drawing is all in the brain, you could begin drawing with your non-dominant hand now and end up close to your original skill level when the cast is off in 2 weeks.
>>
>>2548154
from somebody who had his hand parallelized for 2 months:

>you might lose some muscle mass so try to easy yourself into drawing again, draw fewer hours and try to use tools with high opacity when needed to to limit pressure
>do exercises and stretches, start with handweight (get it? bodywieght) then 0.5 kg, then 1 kg and so on. I\ll assume you know a little of forearm anatomy to know what motions affect what muscles
>you'll get bored a lot until you'll take off the cast, so watch some movies, try to expand your visual library
>draw with your off hand. Again, less than you used with your main hand, since your off hand isn't used as much with the stress.
and remember to build some muscle mass for the future, it's easier to recover from potential accidents and also your muscle can act as pillow for your bones and nerves. If you lose a muscle is no biggy, you can work around that by doing a muscle transfer from somewhere else from your own body or by changing your movements relying on a complementary muscle, but if you lose a nerve you might lose control over half your hand muscles and I haven't heard anything about nerve transfers

>>2548280
>Drawing is all in the brain, you could begin drawing with your non-dominant hand now and end up close to your original skill level when the cast is off in 2 weeks.

so, so wrong. Some artist which rely on visualization and know already what they want to draw, see kjg, who might be able to pull that off. But there are artist which rely more on searching the form thew their hand movement, see sycra (his style is not molding on what he has in mind, but he\s molding his style based on what kind of strokes he likes to do with his hand)

also this>>2548188
you should put a picture of your hand OP, not stoke picture, so that we can see what movements you can still do.This is also a good opportunity to learn to draw from you arm
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
op here.
I gave drawing a shot today, and it turned out just slightly worse than my usual
>>2548444
Turns out all you need is 3 fingers and a shoulder. I guess I have no excuse now.
Thanks to all anon's who replied!
>pic related, its me.
>tfw still can't play vidya thou
>>
just be glad ur not in LAS
>>
>>2551395
i bet he's this >>2551048 guy
>>
>>2551408
cruel
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.