[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trouble Making Finished Pieces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1460996477347.png (460 KB, 588x598) Image search: [Google]
1460996477347.png
460 KB, 588x598
Does anyone else have trouble making "pieces"?
i have no problem with sketching in my notebook all damn day, but i never want to make a finished
piece because i hate the way it looks usually, want to start over, and do this all damn day til the sun is gone.

Anyone else experience this? Any ways i can combat it more?
>>
>>2545881
I hate my sketches.
That's why I first sketch out a few ideas and then choose which one I want to finish.
The other sketches won't see the light of day ever again.

How about you write down you idea for your picture first.
Let's say you want to draw a knight fighting a dragon.
Limit yourself to 8 thumbnails / rough sketches.
Choose the one you like most and then just finish it. Don't do more thumbs and don't switch to a new one until you're done.
>>
>>2545881
realistically it's because you fucking suck. there's no point polishing a turd so don't worry about your "pieces". Just get good, and you'll notice your work becomes more complete. Gogo draw.
>>
>>2545881
Top Jake Parker tip if its not working from the first minute of sketching don't force it. Abandon it and sketch something else. The same goes with rendering a sketch if its not working go with your instinct and abandon it try again.
>>
>>2545887
I like this advice
>>2545891
This one is kinda iffy, i get what you mean, but i want to abandon a sketch almost all the tiime. Its a bit of a slippery slope.
>>2545889
This is gargabe advice, i hate this "gid gud" mentality this website offers.
>>
>>2545910

Get out.
>>
>>2545910
>gargabe
>website
>creates own thread
Normies get out
>>
>>2545918
but he's right
this place is so rotten, it's barely helpful to anyone.
>>
>>2545912
By git gud, i don't mean don't strive to improve, i mean this meanality that artistic progress is an absolute straight line no matter what.
Yes in the beginning progress is linear, but eventually an artists has to start making decisions on what they want their art to show.
>>2545918
1. 4chan kinda has this mentality anyway, about life
also
>normies
Good meme
>>2545949
exactly, its way too fucking toxic now.

>>2545918
>>
>>2545949
le ic is so le bad yet i still le browse xD
>>
>>2545881
I've been struggling with this a lot too. Finally I started breaking the finishing process down and practicing different steps from it. I did some pictures where I practiced doing finished lineart, some where I practiced doing flat colors or cell shading, and some where I practiced rendering, etc. Through some trial and error I think I've finally come across a finishing process that both gets the results I want without feeling tedious, in fact I have a lot of fun with it. I still need to do repetition with it to fully ingrain the act of completing things using that process and I'm looking forward to it. Another thing is every once in a while, make yourself finish something even if you don't want to. That doesn't mean it has to be a fully painted cityscape or anything, it can be just a simple standalone figure even without color. Pick some level of 'finished' as a goal and meet it. Small victories can go a long way to energize you. Good luck OP.
>>
>>2545960
I'm still here to actually help other artists.
>>
>>2545975
thanks bro, don't let the shitters get 2 u
>>
>>2545975
real mvp
>>
Yeah I definitely have the same problem- will sketch for hours and hours, not like working on one idea and just sketching it endlessly. I mean I will shit out something and once it's done I will move on to something else, try a different pose or emotion (angles are really hard and it's something I need to work on) and just keep filling up pages with no focus. I'm going back to school to have more discipline but it's going to take a long time before I can afford an art class ;_;

I need ritalin or something.
>>
>>2545887
>>2545969
these two help me alot
Thanks anons!
>>
>>2545910
If you're roughing in a silohuete or a thumbnail, or a dynamic pose and it feels off from the 3-4 minute stage there's no point in continuing with it
>>
>>2545881
find someone to pay you for it. Money is literally money only motivation to finish anything.
>>
File: ed564g.jpg (40 KB, 634x471) Image search: [Google]
ed564g.jpg
40 KB, 634x471
>>2545881
i have this problem too.
send help
>>
i used to have this issue but the thing is if you don't at least start trying to make fully realised pieces then you're just going to stick to sketches. yes, sketching is important, but the whole point of refining your skills is that you can incorporate what you've learned in to one great image

yeah, the first ones will suck. fuck, i look back on paintings i did a few months ago and the improvements are really noticable. it's just a matter of broadening your horizons and pushing your comfort zones further and further.
>>
I think there is a point where it's helpful just to study and sketch and its a waste to make finished pieces, but at a certain point you just have to sit down and tell yourself I cant work on anything else until I finish something to the best of my ability,.

I think the mentality of your just going to study until your perfect is really flawed, no one just goes into a hobbit holes studies for 15 years and comes out craig Mullens. You gotta start working at some point but you don't want to start when your pure garbage tier.

It's also hard to tell your level from just sketches If all you do is sketches you could be at professional level and not even know. You don't wanna be polishing turds but its okay to start polishing bronze , or iron if you can't make steel just yet.
>>
>>2545889

This is bad advice that probably stems from good intentions. Yes, if you're not all that good, yet, finished work can be discouraging and all that time could have gone to lower-level practice. They part people forget is that if you never practice finished work or train yourself in the disciplines needed for it, you'll never improve at them either.

If you're starting out, maybe don't make everything a finished piece -- there's a lot to learn, but do one every so often. They're a good way to break up a boring area off study and gauge your growth.
>>
>>2545881
>i have no problem with sketching in my notebook all damn day, but i never want to make a finished
make your sketches you finished works, go kjg
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.