[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Oh never saw there was an art board all these years >Check
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: FrenchfryDonut.png (928 KB, 1296x870) Image search: [Google]
FrenchfryDonut.png
928 KB, 1296x870
>Oh never saw there was an art board all these years
>Check it out
>No sculptors
>No ceramics
>No printmakers
>No collage
>No talk of art history and all the different types and ways of creating art
>Not even a whole lot of irl painters
>Pretty much all drawings and digital paintings that are either traditional study focused or illustration focused.

Why is this place so narrow focused? I don't necessarily think what is posted here is bad. But I am curious as to why this place feels limited in what is posted.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>2544409
It's not like there's a lack of them per se. They are there; they're just not as prominent as other mediums here.

Still, the reason everything here is weighted towards illustration and painting boils down to accessibility and the website's userbase which is mostly comprised of cartoon/video game fanatics.
>>
>wanting to talk about that other gay crap
lmao, get off my board scum
>>
>>2544409
>>No sculptors
first git gud at drawing nigga
>>No ceramics
we don't have enough such anons to keep threads up all the time, there is one from time to time tho
>>No printmakers
what now? drawing got yo ass covered bro
>>No collage
NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>No talk of art history and all the different types and ways of creating art
stop procrastinating and get drawing
>>Not even a whole lot of irl painters
first git gud at drawing nigga
>>
>>2544432
This is why op calls the place narrow-focused

Some people including you are too convinced that all you need to do is draw.
>>
>>2544418
first post best post

Yeah sculptors get ignored as if they are deviants. This place is tablet general.
>>
>>2544432
I have nothing against drawing.

And I don't think the mentality should be that drawing is all you need. Different mediums and approaches to making art are used because they can all achieve unique visuals respectively.
>>
>>2544409
>art history
>>>/his/
>>
>>2544440
/his/ is a terrible place to talk about art.

They wank on "muh realism all modern art is trash" more than we do.
>>
>>2544441
>all modern art is trash" more than we do.
Are you sure? I don't lurk /his/ often but that is hard to believe.
>>
>>2544447
It's easy to believe when you're reminded that no one on that board is an artist.
>>
>>2544435
>>2544438
sorry for my shitposting

no matter how I try to justifie it it's just wrong, I'll stop posting for a while
>>
>>2544409
Anyway, you got a source on that pic?
>>
>>2544441
or they just want to talk about communism and christianity instead.
/his/ is pretty trash for art discussions.
>>
>>2544457
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGdCTy-Vm7o
>>
>>2544460
thanks bruv
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (374 KB, 703x1227) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
374 KB, 703x1227
>sculptors

More than welcome here, there just aren't many. Besides, a lot of overlap with drawing.

>ceramics

Who cares?

>No printmakers
>No collage

>>>/gd/

>No talk of art history

Art history amounts to the kind of trivia you might pore over throughout a couple afternoons on wikipedia and then abandon shortly thereafter. Not a subject of much general interest outside of the art college syllabus where it's just used as yet more filler to guarantee the student an expensive and commercially unviable degree.
>>
File: hb_29.107.31.jpg (989 KB, 1900x1462) Image search: [Google]
hb_29.107.31.jpg
989 KB, 1900x1462
>>2544468
Relief and intaglio print is not relegated to /gd/ alone.
>>
>>2544468

I learned quite a lot through art history, both classes I took were intriguing. I took them not necessarily to better my art, but to understand what it means being an artist; specifically successful and unsuccessful. Or even in demand because of their own personal style or the drive in the era.

But I did learn differences in styles that ultimately led to different ideas. Literally anything can be art, but I was interested in having my own painting style.

Yeah, I could have poured over wikipedia, but I liked the encompassment of the history in the clas, rather than general details. My younger brother is a history major, so he filled me in with important events happening around certain times. Like Francisco de goya for example, I prefer his romanticism work, but I can value and see merit in his work against the invasion of spain.

I'm probably being an art fag, but whatever.
>>
>>2544481

You aren't. People here (hell, on the internet as a whole) generally bash on art schools. I also think that most people on the internet don't see the value of attending IRL schools of any kind, because "you can just download everything you need and learn on your own". Which isn't true of course, and not only while learning about group cohomology but even for high-school stuff.
>>
>hurrdurr why is there no analog 3d art on a digital 2d forum
thats you.
>>
>>2544435
>>2544438

It just so happens that the vast majority of people on this board are interested in drawing and commercial / representational art as opposed to those other things listed. If there are people interested in ceramics, printmaking, collages etc, they are free to make threads and talk about it. /ic/ is slow enough that you can keep threads going for several weeks with very little participation, so there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so.

Be the change you want to see and stop whining that the majority doesn't share your interests.
>>
>>2544409
there just aren't enough of you to get threads consistently apparently.
you should make your own generals or something.

some of the things you mentioned do get threads every now and then though
>>
>>2544577

Sculptors are generally directed to >>>/3/ though, same with other guys who are told to go /gd/.
>>
Any chance of Other Art styles thread?
>>
>>2544453
you don't need to be an actual artist to discuss art history, it is history.
>>
>>2544441
sounds pretty good
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam.jpg (336 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam.jpg
336 KB, 1000x750
>>2544489
Art schools deserve to be bashed on. They deserve to be bashed until the plurality of them shutter their doors for good leaving only those that are willing and able to function as something more than a playpen, and even those should be scrutinized closely for their entrance requirements. These schools are, with few exceptions, little short of criminal institutions that have enriched their faculty to the point of absurdity at the expense of their ignorant and the naïve students whom in saner times were kept well away. Even those schools that stress artistic fundamentals and commercial viability leave in their wake 90 financially and spiritually broken young adults for every 10 whose post-graduate success they disingenuously take credit for.
>>
>>2544409
Because a lot of that stuff is more talked about on /diy/ or just more craft-based, the sort of shit public education teaches in "art-class" people come here to get away from, and /ic/ focuses more on drawing / painting because it's cheap and the economy ain't too great and we're all a bunch of cheap bastards who don't like paying for things to begin with.

>art history
Nothing worse than people who can't draw talking about people who can

>never saw an art board all these years
Occasionally visiting 4chan a few times a month between your trips to reddit does not make you a long time user, just a little PSA there.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.