[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi guys, I'm looking to get into art - I'm always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: the-melting-watch.jpg (128 KB, 1000x787) Image search: [Google]
the-melting-watch.jpg
128 KB, 1000x787
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get into art - I'm always in awe of what my arty friends show me, and know I could spend all day admiring paintings and possibly learning to draw myself, but I have no idea how to begin. I'm literally at what you guys would probably call the basic, Mona Lisa, Salvador Dali kind of stage.

How do you find artists who you admire? What are some fundamentals about art? Am i correct in thinking that in terms of psychedelia, painters got there before musicians by a few centuries?

How do you consume art, is it improper to simply look at an artist's work on Google Images? Do you go for a coffee-table book instead?

Is it better to buy unique paintings, rather than mass-produced reproductions of the classics? Any particular blogs to follow?
>>
>>2543673
>How do you find artists who you admire?
Once you have a general idea of your tastes it is easy to find more similar artists since no one exists in a vacuum.

If I were you I would spend a few evenings just casually skimming through wikipedia's pages on art history and familiarizing yourself with general movements and what they looked like. From there you can decide what you like and delve deeper into more specific things. If you just want to browse a lot of art,then wikiart or the-athenaeum or google art project are all good.

>What are some fundamentals about art?
There will be different answers to this, and to do it properly you would need a book or two to cover it all. If you just want to know how to look at or appreciate art you just need to know your taste, the context of the image, the subject matter, and some idea of the techniques used.

>How do you consume art, is it improper to simply look at an artist's work on Google Images? Do you go for a coffee-table book instead?
Both are fine. Going to galleries is the best because you see the original and not a reproduction. With the internet though you can find incredibly high resolution images which are almost as good as the real thing.

>Is it better to buy unique paintings, rather than mass-produced reproductions of the classics?
Depends on what you want out of it. Nether is better than the other, they are just different.
>>
This Anon >>2543689 said it all very well. If you want to go drawing/painting yourself, check out new sticky that is being currently made, you have link to it in /beg/inner thread in OP. Also art book thread and first post is worth checking out.

Besides stuff you would often find on /ic/ which is usually for realist/classical art education, I would advise you finding some stuff about composition, narrative aspect of art and design.

Myself would recommend EveryFrameAPainting channel, while usually dealing with films, stuff from it carries to other branches of art/creative industries.
>>
>>2543673
Read 'The Art of Art History' by Preziosi to get a good overview of art as a whole.
>>
>>2543673
a list i've made.
http://pastebin.com/5Fxhd7dA
>>
>>2543722
Where is this new sticky?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.