[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice on how to make good album covers? Would love some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: grid small.jpg (771 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
grid small.jpg
771 KB, 1500x1500
Any advice on how to make good album covers?
Would love some examples.

These are just some loose ideas im working on.
>>
>>2543503
Bumping for interest. How do you get into the market for this? Are there forums for bands requesting work? Do you have to be friends with a bunch of awesome bands?
>>
There's no "album cover" formula.

Work with the theme and mood of the album, and make something that looks cool. That's it.

Look at say the cover for veckatimest, and look at the cover for purple rain. Both great covers, nothing in common. There aren't even compositional rules.

What you've done so far is cool though.
>>
IMO an album cover should be a visual parallel to the "feel" of the music, it doesn't need to be exact but you want colors and shapes that match the sound and rhythm. I'd prioritize being able to express different feelings over the image itself really. Also, I'd try to match technique to technique, if the music is super weird go for mixed mediums and try to keep up.
>>
>>2543530
Wait you mean art is work and someone can't just give me the answers? I have to do a lot of sketches and figure out what works....on my own?

I'm not going to make it anon.
>>
>>2543572
Yeah I gave up when I figured that out.

Now I just give people vague useless answers to dumb questions on /ic/ all day
>>
>>2543503
Those look great OP. Im likin the top right and bottom left the best.
>>
>>2543521
I guess you promote the same way other artists do so through social media, blogs, your own site, local commissions etc. And you may attract a certain audience into this stuff, which are either melodic/ industrial/death metal bands or, which I've noticed lately, dubstep musicians.
>>
>>2543530
>>2543577
This reply is in nearly every thread on /ic/. How are we supposed to have a discussion about anything if the answer to everything is "there are no rules, there is no formula, and therefore giving advice on this is impossible and stupid"?

>>2543533
>>2543588
This is exactly the kind of reply that i was looking for, and the advice here is solid and helpfull. Thanks anons.
>>
>>2543503
It really depends on the music, but i personally think the best album covers are the ones that are very easy to read and sort of "pops" out at you. Top right and bottom left are good examples of what i mean.

The most important thing tho, is that it visually reflects the band and/or music.
>>
File: 6645354.png (276 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
6645354.png
276 KB, 400x400
>>2543503
>>
>>2543620
Honestly there isn't a formula for art. There might be something close to a formula when you look at a very narrow aspect of art with a narrow end goal, but if you just look at it broadly then there are no rules, and even implying there are will limit you.
>>
I have a couple of years of experience in album art commissions. My best advice is to find a music genre that you really like, doesn't matter if popular or not, and find all the groups, websites and forums related to it. Then, before spamming, show to the other artists your genuine interest in their music and dig inside their music imaginary. Only after that, open the commission (with a special discount for that kind of music composers ). Also OP, nice art!
>>
>>2543669
I BELIEVE OP'S QUESTION WOULD FIT BETTER WITH >>>/gd/ BUT HE WOULD HAVE TO PARAPHRASE IT, BECAUSE DESIGN AND ART ARE NOT THE SAME KIND OF ANIMAL.

SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT ARE HELPFUL GUIDELINES FOR CREATING A DESIGNWISE SOUND ALBUM COVER ARTWORK, LIKE COMPOSITION, MOOD AND SO ON?".
>>
>>2543588
So basically hope they come to you through catering your stuff?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.