[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What inspires you to paint and what is it that you paint? Since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 1459175695802.jpg (157 KB, 640x488) Image search: [Google]
1459175695802.jpg
157 KB, 640x488
What inspires you to paint and what is it that you paint?

Since finishing Uni a few years ago I've had no inspiration whatsoever.
Where I live there is nothing to do, no galleries to visit, no remarkable scenery or people. Just wasting time in my room or going to the shops every now and then to kill time.

How do you inspire yourself when there's nothing around you to get inspired by?
>>
>>2543432
get high :^)
>>
>>2543432
>no remarkable scenery or people

I call that bullshit, you lack curiosity. Why should it be remarkable? Life isn't remarkable by any means.
I dont know where you live, but even the smallest and dullest places have interesting things happening. Go outside and leave your car behind. Forget mountains or monumental buildings, go talk to that old butcher or something.
>>
>>2543494

This.
I must admit that i used to be like OP.
And sooner or later you find what stands behind the word "curiosity".

And that curiosity implies in EVERY aspect of live, every field, not just art.
>>
>>2543432
You have the fucking internet man. You can see hi-def videos of all sorts of events from history, rare events, isolated parts of the world, amazing films. Billions of images are at you fingertips. Almost any artists from art history will have good images of their work online that you can zoom in on and study. You have access to almost all music ever recorded. You can talk to or contact almost any person you admire. You have no excuses.
>>
>>2543432
>no remarkable scenery
I'm assuming you have some sort of forest (or other natural area) access, even if you're in a large urban/suburban area and it's rather far, and it's small. Go there. It doesn't have to be a national park to be remarkable, especially if you're there at sunrise or sunset. Look for a cool little mushroom or plant, watch the songbirds, observe the way light filters through the trees and perhaps hits a seedling just right.

You could also go peoplewatching. Just wait around to catch some interesting dramatic or touching interaction and let it inspire you. Or sneak a photo of a beautiful or intriguing stranger and draw them.

Or just paint some cool little knick-knack from a shop. Seriously, inspiration is everywhere, you're just not open to it. Try to recall how it feels to be inspired, to get those creative juices flowing again. You can't just sit around waiting for inspiration to happen, you need to make it happen.
>>
>>2543432
I love that painting, who made it?

And me? I am just chasing a feeling. It's something I am deeply obsessed with, and it can summarized shortly with the word 'personal nostalgia.' It's the same kind of feeling created by japanese filmmakers who show fleeting scenes of the beach, bikes, shinjuku crowd, the clouds, etc, all set to melancholy piano music. Who knows, it could already be commodified. But it's quite ruinous. I haven't had a job nor have garnered any interest in taking one at all because I feel like it would kill the trace of this 'feeling.' I also can't sit at home being melancholy if I have to go to work.

I wonder how stupid and/or crazy I sound.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160601-233210_1.jpg (106 KB, 864x1208) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160601-233210_1.jpg
106 KB, 864x1208
Mathematics
(Pic related)
>>
for inspiration I get drunk and watch movies

for motivation i look at other artists and realize how shit i am
>>
see far away
>>
File: IMG_4128.jpg (906 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4128.jpg
906 KB, 1984x1488
>>2543432
This is a piece I painted. I am studying this style. I am like OP experimentation with something new.. Even it doesn't come out looking like a great master's work, well they started somewhere. I paint as a release of stress. I work on pieces I want to see on my own wall.
>>
>>2545386
every kid using mspaint ever
>>
File: leonid-afremov.jpg (349 KB, 1300x981) Image search: [Google]
leonid-afremov.jpg
349 KB, 1300x981
>>2549406
that subject is so cliché
>>
>>2543494
>>2549993
I agree. Try creating your own style
>>
>>2549994
Oops posted on wrong post as well. Directed towards person with cliche style.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160605-193443.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160605-193443.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
>>2549986
I don't find realistic art interesting. I would much rather make something that could be made in MS Paint than something which could be photographed.
>>
>>2550554
(Not trashing people who do like/make realistic art, it just doesn't do anything for me)
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.