[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you work faster without sacrificing quality?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1280x853
How can you work faster without sacrificing quality?
>>
By gaining experience so you can automate a lot of tasks or do them more naturally.

It's a process you'll have observed if you ever had to do a bunch of the same stuff (five forest paintings, or five shots of a character's face), chances are the first piece you did took a lot more time to do than the last ones. This also applies to your art in general.

tl;dr: practice more.
>>
>>2542633
That's called practice my friend.
>>
>>2542633

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. Whatever we do regularly becomes engrained in our brain and then our brain will automatize it to make it more efficient. Think of driving: you're not always thinking about every little things, you just drive. It's ingrained in you.

This is how some people are able to draw things on the fly. It may look good but for them it's still in their comfort zone. They've done hundreds of similar or harder drawings before so it's like a second nature to them.

I've noticed that artists will often have a greater economy of stroke when they get older, like if they instinctively knew the "minimum" necessary to make it, while a younger artist will polish it for hours until he gets it right. Maybe after so many trials and guesses their brains have been rewired to automatically sort out the best choice. This one is just a wild guess on my part though.
>>
>>2542639
>>2542642
>>2542681
Cool thanks for giving real answers instead of memeing on me
>>
>>2542633
Think more, paint less. Ever notice how when you are doing a study and copying a reference it comes together really quickly, but when you are doing a personal illustration it takes much longer? That's because you need to solve more problems and think more, and if you don't plan it out well you may need to redo large areas or do trial and error till you find something that works. Spending a few minutes before you paint just thinking about how you will approach it (or doing thumbnails or whatever) and how you will address certain problems will make the process much smoother and save a lot of time.
>>
>>2542681
>>2542639
>>2542851

How do you get to that point with your work that it looks good, though? I understand it's muscle memory but what if you're doing it wrong to begin with? I have seen those cringe threads where artists never get better for nine years or so, doing the same "style" over that period of time. What do you practice to get comfortable? Do you copy figure drawing reference and break it down for stronger anatomy? Do you copy art from the old masters and analyze it to understand their process? What do you practice?
>>
Dont let the cat on the table
>>
>>2542944
I always keep improvement in mind as a goal. This goes a lot better once you get decent at art, because that's when you'll be able to understand your own mistakes and weaknesses (rather than going "ugh, everything I do is shit").

When you're decent, (and I do mean anything better than a beginner, a few months of serious practice will do it), pick an area you wanna get better at, and work on it. Look up guides or videos, ask for feedback, experiment, do work that helps you specifically practice that area. There's no absolute recipe to improvement because everybody improves differently (some people need help with consistency and should just draw a lot, others need help with the actual techniques they're using and should look for feedback).

If you're brand new, don't worry about it too much yet. Get yourself used to the routine of drawing regularly, then pick one of the starting skills (lines, 2d forms/relationships, 3d shapes, gesture/anatomy/construction for figures, etc.)

The people that stagnate basically don't give a damn about fundamentals. As long as you work on your fundamentals and identify your weaknesses you'll do fine.
>>
>>2542842
well yeah. its that and more loomis
>>
>>2542957

is copying pixellovely good for figure drawing?
>>
Make better observations, not faster ones.
>>
>>2542947
but then how will it reach the blini?
>>
>>2542944
You have to realize that there's a reason people laugh at the people who fail to improve at all. Those people tend to draw irregularly and from imagination without even trying (or even being aware of) to improve their fundamentals. They go at it like children, just drawing whatever they like that comes to mind, and since most of those examples come from deviantart, a lot of them probably are actual children.

Keep up with your fundamentals, study and practice away at your weak points, step out of your comfort zone and sketch constantly. Stick to this long and often, and you'll consistently improve.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.