[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with loneliness as an artist? It feels like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: limbo game.jpg (136 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
limbo game.jpg
136 KB, 1920x1080
How do you deal with loneliness as an artist?

It feels like the past few years, I've been outgrowing some of my old friends who just want to play video games and go out to parties.

I have a couple of art friends, but they only draw fanart or cute things and get pretty bored with their work. They're also not super interested in critiquing or discussing techniques, they just like to draw fanart because it's fun. Which is fine, but it's not very engaging for me.
>>
>>2538711

Drawing 8h/day and then "recovering" surely will make you lonely. It's better to have healthy life and do art than be "misunderstood", suffering artist, the only one who "takes it seriously" and"is going to make it".
>>
I spent all my time either eating, sleeping or drawing. There is no room for social contacts in my schedule anyway.
>>
kek you think I have friends.
>>
I have work so I'm around people there but I also go to bars, usually alone and just chitchat there and listen to music. I just moved to a new town though so I'm still pretty much alone. Plus I pretty much destroyed a couple close friendships from my old town.
>>
Never felt compelled to be around people. General consensus of what a "fun time" is just seems stupid and boring to me. Small talk feels like a power drill to my temple. Being alone is enjoyable.

Misanthrope master race.
>>
>>2538754
sad
>>
>>2538754
>Small talk feels like a power drill to my temple.
Holy shit this. I graduated college years ago and whenever I have to go to family events and their friends are there, they always fucking ask me how is school. It's sad because I've told them many times I've already graduated, they just don't give a shit because small talk is there just to make noise in a room, not to actually learn about a person.
>>
>>2538762
It's about connecting with people and enjoying yourself
>>
>>2538764
I don't enjoy connecting with people.
>>
>>2538768
everybody enjoy connecting to ppl, you just haven't found the right ppl to connect with
>>
Going to try to answer the first question OP posted.

This might sound a little creepy/headspacey, but when I'm lonely I tend to turn to my own original characters for social interaction that isn't a temple power drill. I work on their relationships with each other and the world they inhabit, or spend time working out how a self-insert character would interact with them. I guess I just try to make them more... human? More real?

It helps with my actual art by aiding my imagination and also passes the time and keeps my mood up. Build little clusters of characters and befriend them, OP. You might go a little crazy in the process, but it's better than connecting with an outside world you don't want anything to do with. With luck, your characters become your world... if that's what you're looking for.
>>
On the one hand I don't actually feel loneliness so no problem there, but on the other since being isolated is literally bad for your physical and mental health I'm hoping that some day-to-day interactions with random strangers is enough to stave off the worst of it.
>>
Is it possible to have a girlfriend as an artist?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455795530193.jpg (34 KB, 599x800) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455795530193.jpg
34 KB, 599x800
I know this feel to well OP, I just meditate and take shrooms sometimes and become super crazy every time I feel the sadness kick in, like I'll start shouting Death Grips lyrics for 10 minutes until my brain is too stunned to know what sadness is, sound edgy as fuck but it works
>>
>>2538809

It's either a girlfriend or weed. This is true, don't ask for explanations, just look at Mike Azevedo or Zedig, they have gfs, then we have Dan Luvisi with no gf but loves partying and drugs.
>>
File: youonlylivetwice.jpg (111 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
youonlylivetwice.jpg
111 KB, 1024x768
>>2538809
The best artists has several girlfriends
>>
>>2538815
Damn, I really want a weed now. I should lay off the girlfriend, I guess.
>>
File: 1399402847175.png (53 KB, 201x216) Image search: [Google]
1399402847175.png
53 KB, 201x216
>>2538810

> just meditate and take shrooms sometimes and become super crazy every time I feel the sadness kick in, like I'll start shouting Death Grips lyrics for 10 minutes until my brain is too stunned to know what sadness is

Have you tried, I don't know, making new friends?
>>
>>2538823
Make friends? Oh, just make friends, huh? Why don't I strap on my friend helmet and squeeze down into a friend cannon and and fire off into friend land, where friends grow on friendies!
>>
>>2538809
I have a girlfriend as an artist. It's important to avoid girls who are clingy and needs too much attention. I can say from experience, it took me several months for my girlfriend to realize that I need my time alone. Even then she still would distract me but it's far less than at first.
>>
im trying to do this and it might help: try making drawing just a part of who you are when it comes to social aspects. i dont mean always strain the conversation by forcing topics on drawing or to autistically carry a sketchbook everywhere (honestly a good idea but you know what i mean). just know who you are and what you can offer. dont try to adapt and fool strangers into thinking they found a kindred spirit when youre just trying to be polite. make it clear youre an artist and people will accept your uniqueness and probably introduce you to their art friends if they have any.

also, you have the internet. and the internet offers lots of local meetups for artists, depending on where you live.
>>
>>2538828
nice play on a charlie quote haha.
>>
>>2538784
Literally autism.
>>
>>2538873
I have a girlfriend who is an artist. We just throw tunes on and get into our zones while at the easels.

Fucking fixes most art block lmao.
>>
File: 1459067510344.jpg (371 KB, 650x908) Image search: [Google]
1459067510344.jpg
371 KB, 650x908
>>2538784
Yo, are you me? I've literally been doing this since I was 7 years old (because I was a friendless loser) and I'll be damn ed if imaginary characters aren't some of the best company ever.
I honestly thought I was the only one.
>>
>>2538784
>tfw trying to draw waifu so she can be actualized
>>
Does anyone have a link for sai?
>>
>>2538754
Right there with ya sometimes. But weirdly at other times I'm all about meeting and talking to people.
>>
First I'd need to overcome my loneliness as a socially retarded misfit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.