[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
I have 12 hours a day to draw. what should i do to fill up that time?
>>
>>2538406
Whatever you're weak at.
>>
>>2538406
Do a variety of things. Do studies from books (anatomy, perspective etc), masters, life, photos. Do creative work as well and practice drawing form imagination. What proportion of what you do is up to you and your interests and goals.
>>
>>2538406

Make it 8h, fill the rest with preparing your own meals, fitness & exercise, gathering visual aids/being "creative", socializing in local art circles/with friends/family/gf. Also 1h nap if yo will feel tired.

You will do x10 more if you will have healthy life.
>>
>>2538406
>step 1- get bored
>step 2- fill your time with drawing
>step 3- there is no step 3
>>
Play games for 9 hours and feel bad about it for the remaining 1.
>>
>>2538413

This.

You'd probably be just as productive with 8 hours as you would with 12. Hours spent drawing aren't all equal, you'll get diminishing returns when you're bored/tired/lazy/hungry/not feeling sharp. By that rationale I recommend you fit the most important things into the first hour or two, IE the things you're weakest at. Maybe a 20-30 minute warmup with a familiar subject though.

Also, if you're not already used to extended drawing times, even starting with less than 8 would be wise. If you're a beginner you'll burn out in days on that schedule.
>>
>>2538494

I don't think diminishing returns is nearly as big as a thing as people think it is. But 12 hrs a day isnt really sustainable unless your super disciplined or ina school/group like fzd whee you can socialize and practice at the same time. You'd also have to be working on a tablet, doing it on paper would kill your back/arm.
>>
>>2538406
A resumé
>>
Similar to this OP, I have a bit over 90 days to make a portfolio of work for an course. I have a ton of great material to study from and learn thanks to /ic/ and torrent dumps. But I am really inexperienced with structuring my own study.

Maybe it's out of the scope of this board but would anyone have any advice for creating my own lesson plan?

Just from spending a few days organizing and reviewing books/videos I waste a ton of time trying to create my own curriculum for a course I have never taken.
>>
>>2538973
Why tablet? Wouldn't that just kill your wrist?
>>
>>2538973
>I don't think diminishing returns is nearly as big as a thing as people think it is.
You sound like a moron who actually believes the 'work 24h, no sleep, no eating' meme that people like FZD propagate. It's total bullshit.

You might be able to paint something you've already thought up and laid out, doing mindless rendering that you've done a thousand times before but you're not going to be doing studies for 12 hours. lol. Even if you could stay productive and focused for 10+ hours a day, which you can't, eventually a schedule like that will force you to neglect all other aspects of your life. Eating right, exercise, human interaction. You might be able to keep that up for awhile but assuming you don't burn out long before then by the time you're a few years in all the stuff you neglected will start catching up.

If you want art to just be another soul crushing grind you might as well go get an office job. You can work hard and be productive with out the 12 hour workday meme.

>>2538406
Do what others in this thread told you save the headache. It's going to take several years of constant work to get "good" and start getting regular work. If you go into thinking you're going to get there asap that's just a recipe for burnout. Save the constant cramming for when you eventually have tight deadlines for clients. Working ultra long hours is fine to test yourself once and awhile but you also need to have some sort of life, if only a basic one
>>
>>2539082
Have you actually tried FZD's schedule? Do you know for sure it won't work? Or are you just jealous they're more successful than you in such a quick amount of time?
>>
>>2539082

>You sound like a moron who actually believes the 'work 24h, no sleep, no eating' meme that people like FZD propagate. It's total bullshit.

I've actually criticized the fzd meme before I think going over 10 hours a day is possible like I said unless your in an extremely narrow set of circumstances..

>you're not going to be doing studies for 12 hours

You absolutely can, I've done it. I don't enjoy it but it's certainly possible.

> which you can't, eventually a schedule like that will force you to neglect all other aspects of your life

It depends, if your doing 12 hours a day, getting 7 hours sleep that still leaves 5 hours for exercise , socializing and fun which completely doable. But again only possible if your doing it with a hardcore study group/school.

>If you want art to just be another soul crushing grind you might as well go get an office job. You can work hard and be productive with out the 12 hour workday meme.

the 12 hour days would only be temporary which is the large difference.But honestly I'm mostly against the meme on ic going around that after 4 -5 hours any more studying isn't worth which in my experience at least just isn't true.

If you just wanna say that it isn't healthy to do 10 hour+ days I agree , I don't think humans were made to do more than 6-7 hours of work a day in general, but I still think someone who does 10 hrs a day instead of 5 is going to learn a lot faster.
>>
>>2539113

Yep and at the very least you should try doing as much as possible and then change it to suit your needs. Exhausted after doing 10 hours a day for a week? Cut down, rearrange your schedule, study something you enjoy that reminds you of why you started drawing in the first place.

The most important thing is that you start yesterday and do it everyday. Anything else is just excuses for wasting time on bullshit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.