[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /ic/ ever had work or ideas stolen from them? Has /ic/ stolen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 20
File: 1459711332383.png (629 KB, 600x590) Image search: [Google]
1459711332383.png
629 KB, 600x590
Has /ic/ ever had work or ideas stolen from them?

Has /ic/ stolen any ideas before?

I'm not talking "inspiration"

A year ago I had a minor idea stolen from me, and it was really frustrating, and annoying, and now I'm going through the same thing except someone actually thought my work was worth tracing

I had some artists agree that this bitch traced me, but some actually tried implying it was "inspired" by my work. I don't call tracings of other peoples work "inspiration", but I wanted to know how /ic/ felt about what is "inspiration", versus flat out stealing?

Will post my artwork once topic gains traction
>>
Never come up with anything worth stealing.
>>
>>2538180
I would feel honored, but act annoyed cause is the propper reaction
>>
>>2538180

dunno. if it's happened i won't feel too bad about it because all of my ideas are stolen from others. LOL.

circle of art-life.
>>
Never happened to me. I often read that is something that frequently happens on DA
>>
File: SUP.jpg (2 MB, 2103x1836) Image search: [Google]
SUP.jpg
2 MB, 2103x1836
>>2538186

I do feel honored.. everyone here will think the picture is shit tho, and I'm a beginner so I dont mind. I just find it odd that someone who is supposedly better than me, copied my work

>>2538202

My ideas may not be original, but they are not stolen, and especially not from people who are in my circle, or area.

>>2538203
>happens on DA

surprisingly, this person is a DA user, and only makes fan art, so it makes sense for her to steal, since these types of people have no ideas, or imagination.

pic related is my work
>>
File: OBVedit.jpg (586 KB, 1071x819) Image search: [Google]
OBVedit.jpg
586 KB, 1071x819
>>2538222

pic related is hers
>>
File: duhedit.jpg (638 KB, 1071x819) Image search: [Google]
duhedit.jpg
638 KB, 1071x819
>>2538222
>>2538226
>>
>>2538227
I'm going to sound like a total asshole, but i feel like she did a better job than you did. Her painting is much more clear then your.
Also, come on man! That's a really common subject everybody have drawn at least once in his life (pointy mountains with moon or sun at the horizon).
>>
>>2538247

can you really say that hers is better when her picture has virtually nothing but the layout of mine in it? With less color to boot? Since you know what is in the pictures, can you really argue about clarity? Mine is clearly trying to be imaginative, while hers is pretty bland.

And if its a common subject, how come she had to copy mine specifically, especially if shes better than me?
>>
>>2538250
>her picture has virtually nothing but the layout of mine in it?

It literally has more. Better control of colors strokes and composition. You have some lumpy sad-sack of shit excuses for mountains. Having more color is not necessarily a good thing.

>hers is pretty bland

The lighting makes it a lot more interesting than yours.

>how come she had to copy mine specifically

Who knows? Pity?
>>
File: jgfdhtr.jpg (881 KB, 1080x1110) Image search: [Google]
jgfdhtr.jpg
881 KB, 1080x1110
>>2538253

>It literally has more.

It's missing lots of stuff, no brainer.

>The lighting makes it a lot more interesting than yours

Its literally teal, white and black. Not even trying

>Who knows? Pity?

More like jealousy? Much like what you are expressing?

she got upset when i sent her a better dark souls picture than what she was making lol, and asked what have i made lately
>>
File: thechosendad.jpg (113 KB, 735x631) Image search: [Google]
thechosendad.jpg
113 KB, 735x631
If only she'd painted directly over yours.
>>
>>2538261
>y-you're just jealous

Forget it, you're beyond all hope.
>>
>>2538250
woah there skipper, not the guy you're replying to but let me give you a bit of a run down on what i think

the subject matter is common, hell i've done something similar, i don't think she outright "stole" you're idea, maybe she saw it, thought she wanted to do something similar her way, aka was inspired

as for the color, having more color doesn't make it any better, her painting shows that she has somewhat a grasp on controller her brush and her strokes, especially in the mountains and clouds, her mountains actually look like mountains, yours look like hills

her small selection of colors actually makes it more interesting than yours, i feel that her choice of colors accomplished what she set out to portray, a nice landscape in the moonlight, while i feel you were attempting some type of surrealism scene but got side tracked by colors and making something "trippy" and "cool looking" instead and lost the "realism" part and went full blown "sur" (hopefully that shitty attempt to be witty made sense to you)

also, i feel that you believe you are <more talented, more creative, more skilled, etc> than your peers and other artist, and if thats the case i think you should get off your high horse and feel humbled that she "stole" "your" idea that has been done a million times
>>
>>2538265
and you know what else, fuck you op you pretentious little dickbag
>>
File: lou.jpg (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
lou.jpg
1 MB, 1080x1920
>>2538264
>someone clearly copies you
>you're the one who sucks, and if you dont listen to me you will never get better

kys

>>2538265
>someone copies you
>you aren't as good as you think you are
>"i understand what you are trying to do, but I'm giving her more points anyway cuz she tried the same thing, and you tried something different, and tried to learn"
>you can only paint in realistic colors and brush strokes

I get what you are saying my man, but if you gotta take from artists you personally know, and then not even mention them, and DENY that you took it, makes you a shitty person, and you are a bad artist

She thought she was being a bully, because I held her in esteem but turns out shes just a shitter afterall

I learned my lesson needless to say
>>
>>2538227

is this a joke?
>>
File: 1457276152588.png (87 KB, 320x233) Image search: [Google]
1457276152588.png
87 KB, 320x233
>>2538275
>he says while snugly set into his neet cum covered blanket while posting no work
>>
OP you're making problems where there are none.

Looks to me you're just salty because a peer made a similar painting thats beter received than yours.

How about you just move on and keep on practicing?
>>
>>2538222
>>2538226
>>2538250

>he actually thinks his is better

Ahahahaha holy shit nigga are you for real?
>>
File: 1457352629308.png (117 KB, 360x489) Image search: [Google]
1457352629308.png
117 KB, 360x489
>>2538279
>Looks to me you're just salty because a peer made a similar painting thats beter received than yours

You didnt read the topic at all.

I'm a beginner, and a much more skilled artist I know stole from me, simply because I showed her a better dark souls art piece than hers cuz I thought we were friends.

How does that make me salty?

>notice no one is posting stories or evidence of people jocking -their- art
>only people coming in to tell me how im not good and she did better
>>>2538281
>his art is so shit, but I wish someone would steal my shitty artwork

I get it guys
>>
>>2538277
Not that guy, but you have to be 18+ to post here. Her painting is much, much better than yours regardless of where the composition came from.
>>
fucking kek, are you serious OP?
>>
I think he's just young and has a lot to learn about how pointless it is to chase after shadows. I would guess he has a crush on this girl and she makes him feel very small. I imagine she did take a little inspiration from his painting and it's disproportionally inflated his ego.
>>
>>2538271
>you aren't as good as you think you are
this is true, i did say that, thats true for many people, its hard not to assume this, especially on here

>"i understand what you are trying to do, but I'm giving her more points anyway cuz she tried the same thing, and you tried something different, and tried to learn"
i'm not condemning you for trying something different, i just feel you executed it poorly (in my opinion of course), but yes you should be proud that you attempted to learn and try something different and finished it at that, but i dont think you should think too highly of that piece itself

>you can only paint in realistic colors and brush strokes
this isn't what i tried to say, and im sorry if thats how it came off, i meant that having a strong base in terms of (techniques, colors, etc) will help when you want to break the base and do new/experimental/crazy shit. its like when people say "learn the rules, and than break them"

all in all what i really wanted to get at is, fuck it dude, don't let it bother you, just keep getting better at what you do and let the work speak for itself
>>
>>2538292
also, her piece isn't anything amazing itself, but because we're comparing yours and hers, hers looks better

i know this isn't what you intended the thread to be, but thats the nature of chinese tapestry boards
>>
File: 1455013597200.jpg (17 KB, 272x153) Image search: [Google]
1455013597200.jpg
17 KB, 272x153
>>2538291

Man, all these attacks on my person, and yet not a single one actually addressing any question I asked

I smell samefag. Don't worry, someone will steal your art soon.

>>2538292

Thing is, I never said i was good. People are assuming I said this because a artist copied me, and i thought sharing our experiences on it was the idea of the thread

I'm new to painting physical, and my canvas is only 12x12, where as hers is much bigger, so she could only use the three colors cuz shes broke as fuck, and I'm smart enough to get shit for free

My point is, if you never start anywhere, you will never get better. The canvas wasn't a big deal, but her copying it was, and I'mma leave it at that.

Thanks for the civil discussion brah
>>
>>2538285

>You didnt read the topic at all.

I did and all you're doing is defending your shitty painting with ''muh idea''

The other artist didn't steal shit, your whining over nothing.

>notice no one is posting stories or evidence of people jocking -their- art

Because we don't fucking care if they do
>>
File: 1450823230661.jpg (49 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
1450823230661.jpg
49 KB, 672x492
>>2538298
>Because we don't fucking care if they do

tell the truth, its because they dont copy YOUR shit, regardless of the idea

kys
>>
>>2538297
>I never said i was good.

You said your painting was better than hers. You denied criticism like a five-year old and as such everyone here is treating you like one.
>>
File: 1429649140073.png (56 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1429649140073.png
56 KB, 401x372
>>2538301

First you cry about people copying your work and now you're bragging about the fact that someone did?
>>
>>2538297
>she could only use the three colors cuz shes broke as fuck, and I'm smart enough to get shit for free

confirmed for not gonna make it

>here's a tip: get into fine art, you will find ppl like you
>>
OP is clearly a youngster, maybe trolling. Everybody abandon thread and save your chromosomes.
>>
>>2538297
>more colours = better painting
this fucking guy seriously.
>>
>>2538297

>she's poor so that's why she uses less colors

This fucking guy. Never heard of limited palette, did you? Do you even know color theory? Heard of monochromatic colors? Do you know about plein air and palettes used there? Jesus fuck, why do you create retards.
>>
>>2538291
>>2538297
I answered both questions in the first sentence. The rest was an attempt to have you think about why you care about it at all. Why didn't you just talk to her about the idea rather than accuse her of stealing. If you do respect her then share your fucking toys you toddler.
>>
>>2538250
Her execution is a lot more successful than yours. It's more focused. Sorry, that she might have taken your composition and idea, but in this case she vastly improved upon it.

It's kinda like Dolly Parton's I'll Always Love You v. Whitney Houston's I'll Always Love You.
>>
>Has /ic/ ever had work or ideas stolen from them?
My first thought was that this thread was going to be about physically stealing art.

I've had my art physically stolen from me before. Many paintings, pencil and ink works. Only students had access to the room, so someone either really liked my work, or really wanted to sabotage me. I wonder if they took my art and sent it straight into a dumpster or not.

As for "idea stealing", OP, if people are in the same room, looking at the same things, and are students, together, at the same time, they can actually inadvertently end up with the same ideas. This is basic human psychology. Ideas are not unique, they're very common and people come up with similar ideas without even trying. You can actually even manipulate an artist into coming up with a specific idea, just by feeding them the right subconscious influences. Don't take this kind of thing too hard while you're in school, alright? At least no one played houdini with all your pieces.
>>
>>2538227
How the fuck do you conclude that this composition is in any way unique or uncommon?
>>
cmon man aint nobody stealing nothing here
just keep painting
>>
File: house.jpg (98 KB, 743x615) Image search: [Google]
house.jpg
98 KB, 743x615
This is like saying everyone who draws a house like this is copying each other.
>>
File: Albert Simon.jpg (33 KB, 519x487) Image search: [Google]
Albert Simon.jpg
33 KB, 519x487
Some of the best artists are paranoid and delusional so maybe OP will make it?
>>
>having ideas stolen from you

If you said "you know what'd be a cool drawing? a sloth on a motorcycle shooting fireballs out his ass" then someone else drew it, that's your problem. People who bitch about this level of 'idea theft' are worthless.

If you had some sort of in-depth plan, shared with them a good composition, etc then they went and did it you might have an argument.

I probably wouldn't care if someone traced my work, unless they were selling it or people started accusing me of art theft because that person traced my stuff. Then again at my current level anyone tracing my work wouldn't be doing themselves any favors.
>>
>he shared dark souls fan art with someone
>literally copying intellectual property, utilizing someone else's design
>has the audacity to then complain about someone using a vaguely similar piece to them utilizing one of the most standard sci-fi landscape compositions
>gets defensive when everyone calls him on his shit

Do we have the next Illastrat here? How long until OP starts making his own threads with a trashy painting of his in the OP? I hope they're really, really archetypical so that he can claim ownership of any remotely similar paintings in /ic/ afterwards.

At most, AT MOST OP, your friend was inspired by your work. Inspired, in fact, to do a vastly superior piece. There was no "theft" involved and your reaction is maximum autism.
>>
File: SecretsOfTheCircleAndTriangle.gif (500 KB, 1132x915) Image search: [Google]
SecretsOfTheCircleAndTriangle.gif
500 KB, 1132x915
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
>>
File: aaaaa.jpg (92 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.jpg
92 KB, 500x374
>>2538480
>>
File: 3.jpg (466 KB, 796x520) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
466 KB, 796x520
>>2538180
OP, I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're kind of an idiot... This is the most generic space/moon environment composition in existence! Just Google "space art", or better yet "space spray paint art" and you'll find tons with the same composition. It's as generic as a character pointing a bow and arrow at a 3/4 angle at the viewer, it's as generic as a bust of a wolf howling at the mood, an eagle in the distance flying over a waterfall... you get the idea!

And to even use the word "traced" about this! Are you friggin' blind or do you just not know the definition of the word?
>>
>>2538271
Holy shit, you're an idiot AND an asshole!
>>
>>2538180
I have had so many people straight up shittily paint over my work and then leave other parts completely unchanged. Also have had dozens of people get tattoos of my paintings. I don't know how I feel about that one. Like it's cool they like it so much but... the tattoo artist didn't give me a dime. Most of them are incredibly bad as well.

I have never stolen from another artist but I have made paintings that look way too close to the "inspiration." I will upload them and then start to feel really bad about it and delete it. I'll look at it and be "Ok yeah this is too close".

actually wait there was one time I used a picture of a doll as a painting once. It didn't have a watermark on it or anything so I thought it was stock photo used as advertising them. The original photographer contacted me and said it was there and I apologized saying it was posted on a pinterest with no source and would take it down if they wanted. They were cool with it and I put up their site along with the painting.

The painting itself was completely different from the photo but the face was close enough to tell.
>>
>>2538222
>>2538226
is this fucking bait? Those aren't even REMOTELY the fucking same. What the fuck is wrong with you faggot.

Hers is even better.
>>
>>2538497
This guy knows what's up^
Good shit, man.
>>
File: New Canvas111.png (167 KB, 743x615) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas111.png
167 KB, 743x615
>>2538443

op is either bait or an autistic 12 year old
>>
>>2538502
that's 90% of /ic/
>>
>>2538451
kek
>>
If you'd said did this one >>2538226 as opposed to this >>2538222 nonsensical abstraction, I'd have sympathized with you. But this >>2538227 is just pathetic. This bitch did not rip off your composition. And you are not the only one to come up with a landscape image like that, you deluded fuck.
>>
>>2538578
Well apparently he showed her it and then she made the painting sometime soon after, supposedly according to texts he posted in the thread. OP has more of a point than I gave him credit for initially. That said, it's one of those things where you should leave 'well enough' alone, OP. Just move on and focus on improving your own work (which desperately needs it). The images are not even remotely similar in anything other than the arrangement of a few shapes and saying things like "YOU STOLE MY COMPLETELY ORIGINAL IDEA OF A MOON, MOUNTAINS AND RIVER" makes you come off as a fuckin' goof.
>>
File: image.png (89 KB, 313x325) Image search: [Google]
image.png
89 KB, 313x325
>>2538297
>could only use the three colors cuz she broke as fuck

Senpai...
>>
This thread is fucking hilarious. I can only imagine some random, lonely loser seeking 4chan for sympathy, probably hoping we would beg for her dA account so we can spam her or some shit as some elaborate "revenge" plan, only to have us shit all over him as he spends hours literally seething with hate trying to respond to every single poster here and defend himself because he has nothing going on with him in the real world. He's probably going to be in a bad mood the rest of the week because of this thread.

It's sad and hilarious at the same time.
>>
>>2538226
they're both cliche landscapes, beyond that they look nothing alike. whine moar
>>
someone took a comic i'd done on my blog, purposefully cropped my small, unobtrusive blog signature at the bottom of it out, posted that version on reddit, and got gold and i think a top billing on the funny subforum for a day. they said i was a friend of theirs, and had given them permission to post it.

funnily enough, i started adding my signature to it because of an incident on tumblr when someone took the unsigned comic i'd done from my own tumblr post and reposted the images on their own post with no credit to me, where it went on to get upwards of 100k notes. gosh, i thought, but that's partly my fault for not signing my work in the first place. what a valuable lesson i have learned that will serve me in the future, for surely no one would be such an asshole to take a signed piece and remove the signature for i don't even know, maximum internet kudos.

yeah.
>>
>>2538701
That sucks, but as someone who has had their art made Imgur front page like, five times in the past year, "the front page of the internet" really does jack shit for you.

Even if you were the one who posted it and got 100k upvotes or whatever, you still would have only gained a dozen or so new followers.

It's kind of like how very few people know that KC Green made Dickbutt despite it showing up all over the fucking place.
>>
>make super rare pepe
>it got popular as fuck, everyone uses it
>finally claim ownership of said pepe
>nobody belieb me even when i show pdf as proof
iktf
>>
>>2538745
what pepe bruh
>>
Oh OP. Thanks for the laughs
>>
>>2538701
>>2538713

This thread reminded me of when I was in elementary school and someone asked me to draw them a ninja. Basically the character he would be if he was in Mortal Kombat. A character like Sub Zero and Scorpion but with the spiked plates from the Shredder from TMNT. With a sword and some ninja stars. I said ok I'll draw your character for you. I went home and drew the character. Twice. So I could have my own copy. Gave the dude the better of the two copies. Shortly after, another kid comes up to me with the ninja drawing in hand, saying "whatshisface said he drew this ninja but YOU drew it, didn't you?!" Whatshisface was standing there with the other kid, looking at me, waiting for me to bust him. I said "Nah man, he drew it, not me. I saw him draw it." Whatshisface still had an expression of horror on his face haha. It was satisfying somehow. Like haha, you little shit, you wish you could draw like me so bad you lie to people about it and claim my work as your own, and I don't even care! The drawing is worthless to me! I shit out this stuff at will!

I just looked through my stash of drawings from when I was a little kid... and I still have my copy of that drawing. Wow. It's shit but I love it so much now!

Thanks for reactivating that memory dudes.
>>
>>2538713
that's kind of comforting. thanks.

i will never understand WHY that guy removed my sig, though. like he wasn't even pretending he had drawn it. he was pretending his FRIEND had drawn it. what's the possible benefit from that?
>>
>>2538830
"It's not enough that I succeed; others must fail."
>>
>>2538830
Probably not to get caught. Sorta like >>2538787 's story, people would get angry and no longer trust the person's content. With saying "lol my friend did it" they still get a level of coolness by being associated with this friendship and are less likely to be called out for stealing content since they''re claiming to be a "friend" as opposed to the creator.
>>
>>2539171

Just seems a little arbitrary not to credit it if you're not even claiming ownership. Inventing a friend rather than pretending to be a friend of the artist.
>>
>>2538180
>Has /ic/ ever had work or ideas stolen from them?
Yes. Twice.
First:
My former gf who also was an artist stole some of my ideas. She was really shitty artist, your typical "muh style girl", and despite actually being an art-student (we were drawing together during the same period of beginner level), she didn's accomplish anything beside drawing tumblr-tier cringy character shippings and OCs while i despite being self taugh, had a job in industry while she was still in the middle of university.
At the end she stole some of my ideas. The very important ones - i shared those only with her (at the very beginning of our "love/relationship") because i had big plans about them.
I was very paranoid because my self esteem was low and i thought that she gonna use those and make money out of that and everybody will love her because she is in university while im a filthy self-taught.
At the end - my paranoja was really stupid. She didn't accomplish anything and work in bank now because her parents forced her to "get a real job". I still work as artist - mainly in gamedev and dont plan to use those ideas because after few years my mind and modern pop culture developed and i don't think it's the correct time to use those.
I instantly kicked her out of my circle thought, when it happened. We talked about that so many times - how importand those things are and yet she just stupidly took it from me. What a dumb cunt.
I don't hate her now thought.
Second:
I was stupid enough to draw another important thing in public before making something "compelling" out of it, and i put it everywhere - from DA to Tumblr.
And my facebook friend saw that and used that idea for his vinyl design.
(cont)
>>
>>2539399
(cont)

So...long story short.

1) Most of your ideas are shit. Don't bother. Do you really think that your favorite sparkledog design or sonic/MLP recoloring actually matters and it's bad if its stolen? No.
2) If you work in the industry and your ideas are potential part of your buiseness, you obviously shouldn't just put them everywhere without caring about safety.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.