[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How am I supposed to learn from figure/gesture drawing? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: 1464064047868.jpg (647 KB, 3312x2968) Image search: [Google]
1464064047868.jpg
647 KB, 3312x2968
How am I supposed to learn from figure/gesture drawing? I've just been breaking the human form down into shapes and trying to memorize how things connect and bend, but I find it hard to remember and draw these things when it comes time to draw from imagination.
Help?
>>
>>2537765

Draw more and stop making shit threads.
>>
>>2537765
Draw it more until you remember. Understand instead of just copying.
>>
>>2537765
Gesture drawing is kind of my only talent, so here I go.
When you do gesture drawing, you should care less about form/contour and more about the rhythm of the body. That means that you shouldn't draw the joints, and rather, draw /slight/ noodle arms and legs, where they bend at a natural curve. As for memorization, all I can say is pay more attention. It's all about internalizing the image, rather than just copying it. I'll draw some and annotate it for you, gimme a sec.
>>
File: gesturetut.jpg (472 KB, 1000x841) Image search: [Google]
gesturetut.jpg
472 KB, 1000x841
>>2537769
Okay, done
Sorry, my handwriting isn't the greatest, but I tried to make it legible.
>>
>>2537783
>giving advice when your gestures are absolute beginner tier
>>
File: bruh.jpg (55 KB, 745x672) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
55 KB, 745x672
>>2537769
>>2537783

>gesture drawing
>talent
>>
File: nice.png (486 KB, 590x616) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
486 KB, 590x616
>>2537783
Thank you anon.

>>2537784
Want to show me some of your gestures?
>>
>>2537792
No prob.
Also, in regards to this board~
I've kind of given up defending myself, because I've realized something. Now matter how correct you are, by defending yourself, you open yourself up to the inevitable accusation of shitposting. So it's better just to live and let live, ignoring anything other than genuine critique.
>>
>>2537769
>>2537783
fucking KEK

>>2537797
I still love you anon, I can laugh at and love someone
>>
File: selfcest.jpg (106 KB, 599x655) Image search: [Google]
selfcest.jpg
106 KB, 599x655
>>2537802
Love you too anon~
Wait, does this make it selfcest?
>>
>>2537783
I dont think gesture should address mood at all. Its about the action of the pose. Mood on the other hand only arises in situations with a narrative piece.
>>
>>2537809
Hm, interesting.
One of the few things I've taken from this board is that all pieces should have some narrative, nothing should be on accident, etc. So, by mood, I more mean that you need to take the characters feelings into account. A sad character shouldn't be standing straight up, chin high and all that. If I missed your meaning, or you hove something else to say (truly sorry if that comes off abrasive, I honestly don't mean to say it like that but I don't have the phrase I'm looking for) please do, I'd love to hear from you.
>>
>>2537811
Well, when you draw models you are not really drawing a narrative, no? You are practicing your skills. And if they got a sad pose you notice it through their pose (they will have lowered eyes maybe etc.) and you draw it. Imo it is important what you see and how you construct it, not how what you see is feeling.
That being said when you are drawing from imagination it obviously helps to know what the character is supposed to be doing and how to express that. So if you mean by mood, that what the character is doing, mood is important. But that is not the feeling of the character, but how those express through action. Maybe you mean that though. Dunno.
>>
>>2537829
Oh, true! I never go to model events because Im too poor to afford it, and I don't do studies very often. I should, might do some tomorrow, it's just really difficult for me. Back on topic, yeah, exactly what I meant. Probably should have conveyed it better, sorry.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.