[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do your parents feel about you becoming an artist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 25
File: 1444232881546.png (738 KB, 786x744) Image search: [Google]
1444232881546.png
738 KB, 786x744
How do your parents feel about you becoming an artist?
>>
They're supportive and my mom sometimes asks me to draw things (and she frames them which is embarrassing because I'm not that good), but since it's a hobby I don't think they're that concerned about it affecting my future wellbeing.
>>
I have my own house, why the fuck they would care about that?
>>
They're super supportive

Since they both went to art center I feel like I have giant shoes to fill. But whenever i procrastinate or put off making any art whatsoever, I tend to feel a bit of guilt that I'm wasting their money and time.
>>
>>2537124
They're fine with it and supportive, though a bit concerned about my income
>>
Pretty unsupportive until I started making more than them.
>>
>>2537181

How much better of an artist is your dad than you?
>>
>>2537124
oh god my dick
>>
>>2537232

Anon, are you OK??
>>
>>2537234
OHH GOOODDDDDDDD
>>
>>2537236

Anon!! What's wrong?!
>>
>>2537130

Because most people's parents continue to give the slightest bit of a shit what their children are up to even after their children are financially independent of them?
>>
File: 002.jpg (1 MB, 2338x1700) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
1 MB, 2338x1700
>>2537124
They don´t give a fuck...

>I already have my own house and wife (support me so MUCH about art)

but always give a shit about me and my skills
no support all the time
and sometimes years ago my mom just tell me:
>¨Son, please take a better choice to live, like electrical enginer or mechanic enginer¨

recently my mom saw my last works, and just tell me:

>¨ammm, I really imaginated you like a Scultor, not a Ilustrator¨
-------
And that´s why i just don´t give a shit about my familly
>>
>>2537242

Fuck your mom.
>>
>>2537247
but then he'd become a motherfucker
>>
File: what.png (910 KB, 769x555) Image search: [Google]
what.png
910 KB, 769x555
They doubt me and think I'll never be successful
>>
>>2537229
He's pretty good. He studied under transportation design so he's slick with markers and vis comm. He's good with watercolors and paint, but he always does stuff from a photo rather than plein air or whatever.

To be honest I'm a better draftsman with a pencil or pen
but he has a better design/composition sense
Whereas my mom is really good at painting+figures

I'll surpass them both one day, though
>>
>>2537480
Same. My dad used to be a graf artist, and has really good compositional skills, but I'm already far better at the fundies like form, perspective, gesture etc. Basically, anything that's very technical or literal, I'm better at.
>>
>>2537270
He's a real son of a bitch
>>
>>2537124
They both have non art related jobs but they always made me listen to good music, go to a lot of museums and watch a ton of movies even as a small child.
So they always were supportive, even in my NEET years.
Now I made it and they are very proud of me.

Even they don't understand the procedure of "how I paint in the computer"
>>
They pretend to support it.
>>
>>2538157
kek feng zhu talked about how his parents didn't understand how to make art through a computer too. i cannot understand how parents don't understand that you can make a series of colored lines and draw them in such a way a picture comes out.
>>
>>2538170
I think the better way to show them is to make them sit next to you and see you paint
After doing that my mom values a lot more what I do and that's pretty nice. I had a lot of even young people tell me "you draw on the computer? Like it's only pushing some buttons and that's it right?"
>>
>>2538161
>mrconceptart

Truly the voice of our generation.
>>
Well, they used to insist on my being a doctor.

I feigned pre-med for a bit and up and quit. Took a lot out of me but I did it.

They were forced to realize a couple things... one that they can't just tell me to be a doctor. Two.. that I have a lot of things to catch up with. Everything flew by too fast without reason or rhyme. So they are letting me live at home 'exploring myself.'

I have 'explored myself' for a couple months now. NEET.

I guess there is a mild anxiety building up. Just the fact that they are getting older and can't continue working as hard as they are. I want to pull in cash, too, but I had a hell of a time motivating myself.

Call me a bitch, but it's hard. I always want to work, but it feels like some wires are fried. A digression: One time as a stupid kid I tried shoving a PCI-E gpu into a slot that wasn't PCI-E. I crammed it in, closed the box and turned on the power. It fucking exploded. I tell this story because that's how I have been feeling for about 2 years now when I forced myself to work. I eventually stopped trying and that's where me quitting premed came in for the sake of self-exploration.

Still very bleak. I learned a lot and am continuing to learn. But a career seems a little far away.

And my father seems depressed these days. He doesn't talk to me that much anymore.
>>
>>2538190
You should get at least a 20hr/week job, man.
>>
>>2538196
You think so? Why do you suggest that?
>>
>>2538198
I think it's important to be able to pull your own weight around the house for your family's sake, and I think it provides you with a perspective you don't get living as a full NEET. You work just a little bit doing "whatever" so you know why you want to find yourself. Call local restaurant or bars and see if you can find work as a dishwasher or something-I'm assuming you're avoidant when it comes to work because of social anxiety or something? Find a job you only need to make minimal interaction with people, and preferably none with customers.
>>
>>2537124
Aren't most parents assholes regardless of what their kids do? It's worse if they're artists, of course because there's a very small chance of making a living, but instead of bitching about it and thinking their kids are incompetent, they could support them and educate them, thus reducing the chance of them becoming hobos.

My parents aren't vocal about it, but I know they're not proud of me because I dropped out to be a NEET and I haven't achieved anything since then. My skills have improved, but I still don't have a career.
>>
>>2538199
You don't have to answer, but I have an architecture degree. It'll be about a year gap if I start looking for a job now. Do you think it's still worth it?

>>2538200
how long have you been NEET, friend?
>>
>>2537270
Underrated
>>
just ignore them. your parents grew up in a world so utterly different from this, their opinion should be used to wipe your ass with it and nothing more. treat them like you see them treat THEIR parents 'yes yes granpa, yes it's alright grandpa here take your meds'. literally like that.

'yes mom yes on the computer mom, no mom it realy is painting, yes i made 600$ yesterday it's going to be alright mom, okay how's the weather mom? can we talk about the weather instead mom?'
>>
>>2538204
I don't think architecture jobs allow for part-timers but I could be wrong, but I do think that's one of the most important caveats if you're really not sure what you want to do. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was working full-time for a warehouse for 7 years. Eventually I was laid off, now I work at a used video game store. I still live with my parents and I'm 30 (BTFO).

To that end, though, if you do want a part-time job, searching for "restaurant", "bar" etc. on maps.google.com should give you dozens of locations to call; you could have a simple and relatively stress-free (though low-paying) job in a matter of days after a few calls. If you think you can and (most importantly) want to find an architecture job though then go for it.
>>
No, they're from the era that you must go to college to get a good job and make lots of money. I would want to say they don't think with an entrepreneurial mindset but we've had our own business since I was a kid. I think they just don't see me sitting in front of a computer making money is a thing no matter how much I explain it. They don't see what's going on and assume I'm "good with computers" and should be a computer person. If I show them I can make money they assume it's a regular 9 to 5 job but online and not selling artwork. An anatomy book on my desk must mean I am aiming to be a medical doctor. And despite all this my dad loves paintings and cartoons. We have paintings littered all over the house and a gazillion VHS tapes of classic cartoons. Really it's just they don't know about the industry and being a freelance over the internet is foreign to them.
>>
>>2538213
Alright, let's look at this the other way. Suppose that my getting a job is a lost cause. What would be the other end to justify my not getting a job? Would it generally be something like the Feng Xu training routine, with 6 hours a day? Or something like Kim Jung Gi and fill up a sketchbook a day?

I just want to know what it takes for people to just leave me be and understand that I am a person with a set goal in mind. And I want to see if I am capable of chasing that goal like the greats did.

And if I end up doing the same shit, vidya and fapping, then i'll take a job. I want to put myself between a rock and a hard place and hopefully pressure-cook something edible out of the spoiled mess that I am.
>>
>>2538204
I've been neeting for roughly 2 years. I guess it was worth it, but I'd really like a job right now. Doing this for too long makes you a depressed autist.
>>
>>2537124
My mother doesn't believe it'll go anywhere
I don't blame her, since my sister wanted the same thing but she's done jack shit with her art, and doesn't practice anymore. But I'm still young and have shown greater ability than my sister did at my age
My mother prefers I either join the military and/or get a good job working with technology, and shows more support in me getting in top shape for that than anything else. I honestly think it's for the better too, but at the same time I wanna git gud and show her I can have a career in art
>>
>>2538217

Spoken like a true millennial.
>>
>>2538266
Shut up old man.
>>
>>2538206
man, bringing up the weather subject always worked for me
>>
>>2537130
>muh independence
Most parents talk to their kids and are still concerned.
>>
>>2538206
Why don't you like your parents anon? If they stuck around to raise your bitch ass they should be treated with the utmost respect.
>>
>>2538266
What was disagreeable about his post?
>>
>>2537242
>too bad you expected this, you better learn liking me like this or fuck off, whatever you expected has nothing to do with me
Really man such people deserve no mercy, don't let her enjoy guilt tripping you or just take pleasure of festering about it.Cut this roughly.
>if you want to have this conversation it won't be with me
And then just fucking leave without goodbye. Next time she'll think what she says.
Make people respect you ffs, don't tolerate one bit of shit, or else people will enjoy giving it to you.
>>
>>2538331

my dad is awesome, he was always supportive and always believed in me. my mom however treated me like she knew i was an idiot who would fail 100%. she never believed in me. not for one second. i hate her for that.
>>
>>2538196
>>2538199
>>2538213
Im a different anon, but I've been lucky enough to have the chance to live as a NEET for 19 years now, but now I'm personally seeing the detrimental attributes being a NEET brings. #1 issue (in my opinion) is that I literally have nothing on my resume. Only a few commissions, but that was like 4 years ago.
My parents insist that I don't work during the school year, but I think I'm going to get a part time job while I go to summer school for the second half of summer. Just to get money in my pocket for once and put on my resume that I'm not a lazy-ass. I have no actual work experience, so I don't know what it feels like to work under someone...and going into the entertainment art rout I feel that having some experience will benefit in the long run.

Anyway, I'm replying to you because I have no idea what to look for. Something with relatively low customer interaction (no cashiering) is ideal. But I also have carpal tunnel, so computer work and constant hand work is kind of out of the question. I was thinking getting a job at my local michaels or the dickblick not too far from me.

Idk anon, I'm just a little nervous.

Oh and I'm not aiming this question to you specifically, but to anyone too.
>>
File: 1464226504286.webm (362 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1464226504286.webm
362 KB, 500x280
>>2538206

Nice, anon. That's pretty ruthless but it sounds effective.
>>
>>2538410
SOURCE
>>
my parents are dead
I never got to show them what I'd made of myself
>>
File: 4bb.jpg (103 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
4bb.jpg
103 KB, 1024x1024
>>2538338
I have a lot of troubles with my mom, ALOT of shit fightings about my skills...
She has mental illness...
I just give a shit from her right now
but long time ago, i was in the middle of desesperation and sadness about her opinions
since I live away from her, my mental health is better
>>
>>2538344
me too bro... me too
Why the mothers have this kind of shitty opion about a artist son?
>>
>>2538432
Opinion*
>>
>>2538356

Just do online surveys
>>
My parents have always been supportive. Too supportive, actually; they thought I had a good shot at winning a Student Oscar or working at Blizzard or

And they wonder why I have OCD.
>>
File: 1436428286992.webm (1 MB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
1436428286992.webm
1 MB, 720x406
>>2537124
>>2538410
>>2538420

This anime is called Ran->Sem.

I don't like it because it makes me cum way too much.
>>
File: 1441056931823.jpg (88 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1441056931823.jpg
88 KB, 500x281
>>2538484
>>
They think I should only do it as a hobby. I am studying another subject but I want to git gud by the time I graduate.
>>
They support me. Probably because I'm very honest to them about the actual problems I would be facing. tho I don't really call them problems but challenges which probably sounds better to them.
>>
>>2538484
I don't know why but I could never bring myself to fap to animated hentai, manga on the other hand ...
>>
>>2538432
>>2538442

I actually talked a lot about this with my sister and eventually ended up with this thought that eased the pain a little:

i figured my mother, in her eternally benevolent nurturing ways, was terrified of two things mainly and equally:

a) me failing and working at mcdonalds for the rest of my life
b) me blaming her for my failure and hating her for not talking me out of my dreams

so once we realise this it makes sense for her to only have one choice really. she can only strongly oppose my pursuit, in order to protect herself from the possibility of me eventually blaming her, should i fail and fuck up my life. should i not fail, she will have hurt only my ego, but i'll still be hapy for having reached my goals.

because i think to a mother that would be utterly devastating. to feel like she had encouraged a delusional son to pursue something impossible.

the risk is too high from the rational-non-artists-mothers perspective. it still hurts though.
>>
Parents have good reason to be skeptical of their adult children becoming artists, if you can't understand why than you haven't been paying enough attention. Some of you come off as entitled, butthurt little cunts who can't even empathize with the people closest to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 939x950) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 939x950
They support me in the "they're young and need to make their own mistakes" kind of way
>>
File: 1434550439619.jpg (38 KB, 258x254) Image search: [Google]
1434550439619.jpg
38 KB, 258x254
They don't mind the art. They're mostly bothered by my not attending university. I've been NEETing for the last two years trying to get over mental illness (on my own) and git gud-er, but also massively motivated by how expensive US art schools are. I feel like my window for getting a decent scholarship and making connections is getting smaller the longer I wait, but the conflicting information and opinions about art school just puts me on edge. My gut says try anyway and go to art school, but...

Anyway, my mom is shitty with finances and spends it without thinking or care, even with my dad just being recently retired. I'm scared that if my dad dies any time soon (he's starting to get old and his skin melanoma is getting worse), any potential tuition or emergency funds for me will go kaput under my mom's sole handling. She doesn't understand that even community college costs a significant amount of money. It's ridiculous.

/blog
>>
File: ARB.jpg (3 MB, 3262x4982) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
3 MB, 3262x4982
>>2538593
>My gut says try anyway and go to art school, but...

Give yourself a few more years and that scholarship. If you can't get a very substantial scholarship you probably shouldn't go and should seek employment elsewhere while treating art as a semi-serious hobby.
>>
>>2538590
same. my dad tried talking sense into me but realized Im too stupid for words.
>>
File: velazquez.de-morra.jpg (97 KB, 643x870) Image search: [Google]
velazquez.de-morra.jpg
97 KB, 643x870
This thread is like therapy to me :)

>>2538598
Interesting read. It supports what a pretty damn good artist has taught me. Some artists reach a certain level and then just stay theeeerrre until people get tired of their 'style' or 'ouvre' and then they fade into obscurity. PROTIP: Never settle on a specific style. Learn what you must from other artists and move on, unless they prove to be people who add value to your life as friends. Keep on trying new things. A good artist balances his work between traditional and digital. That uneasy feeling you get means that you should explore more mediums and challenge yourself to sketch things you don't usually draw. According to him he studied at the university of life.

almost 30 and I have been a NEET for about 6 years. Currently getting a second opportunity to study animation (prev. Graphic Design) after my passion came this close to dying out. Many years ago parents promised me that they will put me back in art class but then just ignored me hoping that I'll soon lose interest or forget. Dad just cared about good grades even if he had to make me feel like a failure to obtain it. Not good enough, not good enough! I hate those words.

Nowadays I'm telling myself that I'm doing it for myself and fuck them. Always has been a failure in their eyes.
Can't find the image I wanted to attach so have a dwarf
>>
>>2538590

>you will never get charls' pozzed twink bp
>>
My dad and stepmom think that me drawing on the laptop=laziness
my mom abandoned me when i was a baby
my stepmom treats me with major contempt
my dad thinks that i'm gay since i don't want a girlfriend right now
I don't even get job interviews
I can't escape the cycle of doing chores all fucking day
I want to die
>>
>>2538356

>I've been lucky enough to have the chance to live as a NEET for 19 years now
>My parents insist that I don't work during the school year

so you are a child. I don't think you know what NEET means friend.
>>
>>2538356
I really hate when underages think that being unemployed = neet
>>
>>2537124

Anyone knows how to do that white/hazy effect most animus like OP's pic have?
>>
File: 1462149662520.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1462149662520.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
I try to tell them that it's all I have in me because of social anxiety + speech impediment.
I want to seppukku sometimes but I'm probably too retarded/scared to do it.
>>
>>2540270
I hope to see you make it, anon.
>>
>>2538223
This is a very high risk high reward route you're taking, anon. Just know that, good luck.
>>
>>2538223
>fill up a sketchbook a day
Does someone seriously do this? How small of a sketchbook is that?
>>
File: 1458266466147.gif (954 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1458266466147.gif
954 KB, 400x225
My mother thinks that any serious projects like painting or a comic book are a waste of time and I should make "That cute anime stuff that's so popular on Instagram!" to make quick money.
>>
>>2540255
This. I mean, it's in the fucking acronym.
>>
>>2538356
>19 years neet
fuck off. unless you are 40. hate it when depressed little coddleshits think they can just slap on the neet title and blend in with some of the most broken people on the planet.
>>
>>2540892
She ain't wrong, the cute anime stuff makes quick money.
>>
>>2540892
She's just being a level-headed capitalist. Don't blame her for being rational.
>>
>>2538161
This.
It feels so fucking shitty too. They do a lot for me, but I can clearly tell they deem anything that's not uni work not important enough to care about.

>Are you doing anything important?
>I'm drawing
>Ok, good, then you can go do this and this.

>Constantly ask me how school is going.
>Nothing about art at all.

>"You don't really support me."
>"Of course we do."
>Proceeds to look offended I said that.
Mhmm. It's fine mom, I'll get that shitty, low payed job tied to our international crumbling economy.
>>
>>2542049

>I'll get that shitty, low payed job tied to our international crumbling economy.

You mean a career in art?
>>
>>2542051
>You mean a career in art?
How is a career in art tied to my country's economy and employment rates?
>>
I've been a "pro" for about five years now, making 25-35k € a year. My mom is embarrassed an tells everyone a different story. Either I'm still a student, or in between jobs, a bum or whatever comes to mind, she just constantly lies about me. She doesn't even want to see any of my work. Thanks mom.
>>
File: 87324524.jpg (45 KB, 515x376) Image search: [Google]
87324524.jpg
45 KB, 515x376
Don't avoid anatomy studies, you will regret it so hard when you've been drawing for years and can't draw an accurate body from imagination.
>>
>>2542055
Oh, I posted this in the wrong thread.

This thread makes me thankful for having a supportive mum. Although she was disappointed I'm not going to university, but she understands why.
>>
>>2542053
fucking nuke her
now
>>
>>2542053
You should really stop talking to her, forever. Seriously, you don't have to keep in contact with her just because she got impregnated and pooped you out, she doesn't deserve it, fucking cunt.
I'm proud of you, anon! What kind of art do you do?
>>
>>2542052
Not him but if the global economy is shit then most people are too poor/apathetic to buy your art. There's a reason that every Renaissance took place in wealthy as fuck areas.
>>
File: 0cpbtC8.jpg (236 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
0cpbtC8.jpg
236 KB, 1280x720
My dad was never invested in it until I got to a level of professionalism that he could draw parallels between his job and mine, Now he brags about me to his golf buddies.
He never tried to make me go a different path but truth to be told I haven't met him face to face since I decided to go pro 5 years ago.
My mom is a drug addict so anything is better compared to her life. She think's I'm amazing so you know...

I have a ton of amazing and supportive friends and colleagues!
>>
>>2542052

Art is a luxury item. People cut luxuries when money is tight.
A bad economy is just as bad for artists as it is for everyone else. At least if your job provides a necessary service you're still going to have people who want to buy it.
>>
i think my grandmother is a bit disappointed that i'd rather go into programming than art
she wants me to be an architect or anything art related but i'd rather keep it as a hobby
>>
>>2542154
Now you have to go program something really great to make her proud!
>>
>>2542146
Yea but there will always be dictators, royalty, government, even regular people etc that will want portraits of themselves or their family

Just be sure you're good at portraits too
>>
>>2542154
maybe its a sign to get real
>>
>>2542175

I seriously think that banking on making an income on royal portraits is a pretty shitty life strategy.
>>
>>2542178
For you.
>>
File: image.png (71 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
image.png
71 KB, 500x441
>>2542178
Not like I got anything else to fall back on t b h

This shit is all I have
>>
>>2542146
>>2542137
Niggas, I'm talking about making myself independent of my country. When did I even talk about global economy?
>>
>>2537124
My mom is also an artist, and she's proud of my progress. My father thinks it's a natural part of my upbringing.
>>
>>2537124
Never told them, they are super scared that i would be gay and so telling them about this is a big no no
>>
>>2542302
how does being an artist have anything to do with being gay? you just sound insecure
>>
>>2542264

When you used the word "international".
>>
>>2537124
Don't know my dad, and my mother doesn't care as long as I pay my part of rent
>>
My parents are very unsupportive, but that's to be expected.

My mother wants me to be a doctor and my father wants me to join the military. They say being an artist is just asking for homelessness and it doesn't pay well, no matter what.

:/
>>
>>2544690

In a way they are right. You have to haul butt if you want to make a living out of this.
>>
>>2538428
I know that feel, hoping I can move soon. Glad you're doing better man
>>
They don't care.
>>
>>2544690
same here, dad says just be a doctor. Do the struggle day by day and I'll be safe.

Honestly? He's completely right. I have the capabilities, and they have the funds.

But something about it makes me cringe. I guess it could be nothing.
>>
My mother told me to pursue my dreams yadda yadda I drew alot bing bang boom I'm going to be working in a studio soon

My grandparents were far more traditional however. Got out of there never looked back happier for it.
>>
Unsupportive. They think I should've "done computers" like my brother. I tell them I'm enjoying myself and doing what I want with my life, but they always like to remind me that because I didn't get a job doing literal monkey-level tech support for a law firm right out of college, I'm not doing as well as my brother, so I can't possibly be happy.

They tell me all the time that I'm not happy, and that I'm not "doing things right," and that if I'd just done something else I could be an artist AND make money.

I DO make money. When I'm not working an easy night job (where I just work on my art all night without interruption), I'm doing silly shit for local folks and tourists, and combined I make more than enough to pay rent, buy groceries, and have fun on the weekends. But they love to tell me that my house isn't big enough, or that my wife and I don't have any kids (so we're obviously unhappy), or wonder why we don't have a pool yet, or blah blah fucking blah. It's always something. It's never good enough somehow. They always tell me I'm unhappy because of the things I don't have.

I AM happy, I just get fucking monumentally pissed when they call me to tell me I'm not.
>>
Cant stand my rents anymore, nothing but pretending to be supportive.
>we are supportive anon, but we care thats why we constantly tell you to go learn a trade. Your friends and gf dont care that's why they dont tell you these things.
Im moving out next month with some friends and my gf. Three bedroom aprtment and a parttime job is heaven in comparison to trying to study here anymore under this constant negativity.
(25/m with an adv.game dev diploma.)
>>
>>2544793
Being successful when everyone else is a failure is very cringey. It's like why the fuck is everyone a loser?
>>
>>2542049
this. exactly.
>>
>>2545411
Mind telling me what you learned in game dev? Looking forward to getting into it.
>>
>>2545416
nothing. teach yourself at home. The only thing I got out of it is some awesome friends that I play games with every night and the basic's of 3ds max/maya. Honestly dont waste your money I wouldve rather gone into fine arts just for the life drawing.
>>
>>2545419
Really? What kind of classes did you have? There must have been a bit more than that surely.
>>
>>2545423
desu I was in the 2nd run of the course so we were essentially guinea pigs, as long as you handed something in you passed the class. My college was especially shit though so idk about your personal situation but id presume its the same unless your moving to south California or Seattle area for schooling.
Hopefully the place you applied had a strict application process so at least you can fail even if you hand in something decent.
>>
>>2545427
I see. Thanks for sharing what you've been through and the help then. It was useful to hear. I hope you continue to make it further too despite the hardships. Never give up, senpai!
>>
>>2540270
just wanna let you know youre not alone, anon. not sure whats wrong with me but my mouth and brain are just never in sync. i stumble, stutter, and blur my words. it makes it very hard to stay confident. but ill keep on trying if you do
>>
>>2545413
Lol, perhaps.

I guess it's the only hot blooded side of me. I'm fairly reserved and quiet but not at all without dreams, and so to choose a path my PARENTS gave me because its SAFE is just tragic to me.

You can tell me it makes sense but that won't stop the stomach ulcer from developing.
>>
>>2542398
Nigga, I'm retarded, ok? Be respectful.
>>
My parents actually WANTED me to take a career in art (were even down with alternative options like tattooing), but I just never cared to make a job out of something special to me. Now I feel bad for everyone stuck in the opposite boat... at least I had the option. Sorry guys. :(
>>
my sister was always 'the artist' in the family. all she did was photocopies of landscapes, granted they are actually really good photocopies, but everything else she does, figures, faces or anything from imagination is below deviant art tier. she even acknowledges that i'm better than her.

but before i started with art, my whole family wanted her to become an artist. and when she gave up on it, they all assumed it couldn't be done, so i haven't got an ounce of support from them, just them all telling me that i need to get a job, despite the fact that i'm making some good bux
>>
>>2544887
you have to kill them
>>
>>2537124
They aren't really that familiar with anything art-related, but they're kind enough to financially support me. They're not the type that always pressured me to be fabulously rich or successful, but they are concerned about my future in that they don't want me to financially struggle all my life.
>>
>>2540892
at some point we all have to sing for our supper. listen to your mother, anon.
>>
>Mom's an artist, been drawing since she was a child.
>Never held a regular 9 - 5, always made money off her art.
>She's an emotionally distant, narcissistic alcoholic.
>Be 16
>Been learning about computers for 5 years, get bored and become interested in art.
>Always asking my mother about how she learned, and what I can do to be better.
>Humors me, but it's obvious she isn't interested.
>Forward 9 months, been drawing a lot and taking art classes.
>Bring her a drawing I've been working on for awhile.
>Ask her for some tips, criticisms, ways to improve, etc.
>Just really want her praise, even if it was fake.
>"You don't have any talent, Anon. If you had any, we would have known when you were younger. I don't know why you keep this up. Just focus on getting a regular job."
>Throw away my drawing, go to my room to silently cry like a bitch.
>End up studying programming at Uni.

I stopped drawing after that. I'm 22, and just now picked it up again a week ago. I don't know if she was trying to help me or not, but it really hurt. I really wanted art to be something we could have bonded over.
>>
File: image.jpg (364 KB, 1280x1218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
364 KB, 1280x1218
>>2546954
>>
>>2546954
I want you to succeed!
>>
>>2546958
>>2546958
Sauce
>>
>>2546954
she almost fucked you up
almost
>>
>>2537125
>it's a hobby
That doesn't count faggot. Why would your parents be unsupportive of a hobby?
>>
>>2546954
Next time you see her, take a shit in her toilet. Before you flush, call her over and tell her you have a new art piece you want to show her. Walk her over to the floating dookey and tell her it's a genuine piece of modern art. Call it "My Mom's Parenting Skills."
>>
File: 1390827859594.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1390827859594.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
>>2547895

Sorry, I guess? The OP didn't say "bitch and moan about your mean mommy and daddy"
>>
>>2540270
See a speech therapist if you can. I had rhotacism, and it helped me overcome it. I still mess up a lot during conversations, but I feel much more comfortable with my voice.

>>2545500
>my mouth and brain are just never in sync
I know what you mean. It irks me when I come up with a good joke or comeback and then I can't even spit the words out right. I've heard people call me smart, but I feel pretty damn stupid when I can barely talk right.
>>
Dad thinks everything I enjoy in the slightest is a complete waste of time and money, I know he means well and is just trying to keep me from wasting my life, mom is actually reasonably talented when it comes to art and she humors me and trys to be nice about it. but I know she really doesn't think I should keep at it. and shes right I'm probably one of the shittest artists ever, but at least she doesn't want to hurt my feelings.
>>
My parents take it ok and dont mind it, but had spend 5 years of my carrer trying to convince my uncles and granma that i have a job
>>
>>2546954
>>2547018
She almost got you you, Anon. Almost.
There is no talent, your mom is shit and you'll pass her easy with hard work. Fight the good fight bud =)
>>
>>2548015
learn your fundamentals and prove them wrong
>>
>>2547933
>I'll never be supportive of my kids hobbies
>>
My parents were unimpressed. They never vocalised but, you could tell. My father works in STEM and thinks anything outside of STEM is pointless fluff. I almost went to art school, but then I gave up and became a lawyer. I'm now a depressed alcoholic, just like everyone else around me.

Follow your dreams, kids.
>>
>>2548277

What type of law do you practice?
>>
>>2538356
kys newfag
>>
>>2548277
Thank god you didn't become one of those useless fucking """"artists""""

We've got more than enough of those hipster shits. Nobody really likes or respects arists anyway, only that one in 10 000 who managed becoming iconic through some major fluke.
>>
>>2538593
>last two years trying to get over mental illness (on my own)

I tried to get over my mental illness on my own and I got off my meds. Know what happened? First, although I was on track to pass after I did this I failed school. Then, I spiraled into complete apathy once my mental illness was left to run wild without medication and therapy. I did almost nothing every single day and lived as a NEET for 7 years. And the sad thing is it never dawned on me that this was because I had stopped taking my medication.

If you have a mental illness give it all the medication and therapy you can possibly afford. The difference in your productivity will be night and day with that mental illness under control. You might not end up like I did but don't think you can cure the mental illness naturally or be better off without the medication. You absolutely will do much better with the meds and you should take them.

I see my mistake being made in you and I don't want it to cost you any more years of your life. Please get on meds as soon as possible.
>>
>>2548808
Here. If anyone is wondering yes I have gotten back on medication and i'm working hard to get my life back on track and get into college.
>>
>>2548560
kill urself.

do it.
>>
>Mom thinks my drawing is shit and keeps comparing me to artists thats atleast 10 years older than me assuming they're the same age as me
>Dad tells me that he has an older sibling who studied in an prestigious art school and is now broke as fuck.
>Sister says that I wont earn any money through drawing cartoons

mfw
>>
I installed a custom rom, and noticed camera focusing when not used, randomly. Is the rom maker spying on me?
>>
>>2549013
Fuck, wrong thread and board
>>
>>2538593
Holy shit are you me

>mental illness
>not attending university
>NEET for 2 years
>contemplating art school
>careless mother

Do you have a blog or name, I might be interested in talking to you
>>
File: endless shame.png (135 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
endless shame.png
135 KB, 800x800
after 8 years in IT I told my mom I'm working on my art to later be an animator and that I've been working on getting gud.

She said she knew that would happen eventually because the only thing I wanted to do when I was a kid was make cartoons.

Love you mom.

To bad I suck.
>>
>>2544751
sooner you move the better and when she gets older and no else can help her but you. you will have two choices to make.. go thru hell to help her and sacrifice your happiness or give the fuck up and leave her to rot. remember if it wasn't for her,you wouldn't be alive.
>>
My mother supported me and sent me away to art school and thinks I'm a genius but I haven't painted in a year
Parents are deluded by love
>>
>>2549928
>remember if it wasn't for her,you wouldn't be alive
not the same anon, but yes the anon his reply
my mom tried to kill me four times in my life:
>when I was 13 years, and tried to kill me with my playstation (she tried to scrag me with the control wire), because I play 2 hours at much that day, when she was high as fuck
>when I was 16 years, with a Knife in the kitchen... she hurled it to my face... Fortunately I always had good reflexes
>When I was 20 years, she hurled a bag of knifes... only received a couple of cuts, as I covered from her with a chair as a shield at the right time
>The last moment when I lived in my parents house... she pushed me back and threw me a CTR monitor to face ... again my reflexes helped me to survive
Dont shit Anon... you don´t know nothing about living with a mental illness person...
The good point: I have a nutritive imagination from her memories...
>>
>>2549928
>remember if it wasn't for her,you wouldn't be alive.
if I would be alive, I wouldn't have this desires, the life she gave me would be worthless if I live it by how others want me to
>give the fuck up and leave her to rot
I am expecting nothing else from my kids
>>
>>2553253
this thread got real fucking dark, i hope you find happiness anon
>>
File: 1458419532999.jpg (14 KB, 324x451) Image search: [Google]
1458419532999.jpg
14 KB, 324x451
>work my ass off
>get into most prestigious public school in my state, into one of the hardest engineering majors and the most selective programs despite being a fucking crazy airhead
>mom still wishes I'd just been an artist, never once been told parents are proud of me

YOU CAN'T FUCKING WIN, DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES.
>>
>>2553292
sauce? I love the simplicity of that pigeon
>>
File: 1457079709677.jpg (204 KB, 608x603) Image search: [Google]
1457079709677.jpg
204 KB, 608x603
>>2537124
My dad's father was a fine aristist professionally so they fully support my longing to work full time in art

I'm beyond thankfull for the support I've been given my parents, I know many people attempting to git gud don't get the same.

But to be fair I'm getting a business degree and working as a pharmacy technician when I'm not studying art.
>>
File: 57277454_p1_master1200.jpg (143 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
57277454_p1_master1200.jpg
143 KB, 700x700
My mom is fucking mental and I'm 100% sure she has some kind of personality disorder.

>Overly praised at art by my mom every since I was a kid to the point where it feels delusional.
>Told her that I wanted to get a career in art she told me she didn't want me to be poor but to do whatever I it made me happier(I was still in high school and dropped out of sciences to go finish high school in arts).
>After HS spent two years getting gud practicing 6+ hours a day
>got gud but still not confident enough.
>mom tells me I have to get a job or go to college, I want to keep practicing so I go to college even after I told her several times it's a waste of time and money, she doesn't listen
>The first months were living hell(the only decent art college is two hours away by train and I have to wake up at 6 am) and I practically learned nothing new but eventually got used to it.
>Always tired and lost all motivation to draw for myself, now I practice 4 hours a week at max.
>Tried explaining her i wont make it like this but now If i bring up the topic about droping college she becomes extremely toxic and tells me the only reason i'm good at drawing is because of what I learned in college even tho she praised the shit out of any drawing i did before.
>she eventually consents to me dropping college but she gave me an ultimatum that if i can't get income by the time i'd finish college she kicks me out.
>I still want to drop after completing this year but the pressure + constant blaming and yelling is making scared and doubtful.

She just goes completely back and forth between acting like I'm Da Vinci incarnate or blaming for switching from sciences and "wasting three years playing with the computer" when she knows perfectly well how hard I worked and when I haven't even dropped college yet.
If I say she doesn't support me she snaps and blames me for everything the rest of the week. She guilt trips me so much that I don't know, am I actually the one who's just a winy piss baby?
>>
>>2556467
She is tired of maintaing you asshole. Try to get some money with your drawings and stop crying with college. You need some kind of art degree to be taken seriously.
>>
>>2537124
Who
Gives
A
Shit?
>>
>>2556495
>Paper from a worthless institution will make people like your art
Sounds like you hate men and don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2557183
>Sounds like you hate men
this is what MRAs actually believe
>>
>>2556495
>art degree

Lol, what? Have you ever even been near a commercial artist?
>>
>>2557187
Hahaha, confirmed. Do you also purposely draw girls ugly too?
>>
>>2557189
there are multiple people on this site, genius
>>
>>2557194
damage control
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.