[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Lin Ran legit? I like his works, but this "process"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
Is Lin Ran legit? I like his works, but this "process" is fucking retarded. Does anyone actually paint that way?
>>
File: linran.jpg (322 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
linran.jpg
322 KB, 1162x850
>>2534696
Yes he's legit. He's been one of the top Chinese painters for a long time now, and he teaches as well.

That pic you posted is a weird process, but he paints other ways as well, pic related.
>>
>>2534696

Finished painting.
>>
>>2534696

Tracing I say.
>>
>>2534697

It looks as if he tried to make a reverse enginereed version of his process rather than capturing his actual process. Like, as if he took the finished painting and gradually erased it and then reversed the steps.
>>
Your example looks fake as hell but it's not impossible to work that way. Plenty of artists start at a certain point and work outwards.
>>
>>2534707
This, I've seen manga artists draw from the eyebrows out.
Also maybe he his his wire/form sketch rough. Its be more believable if there was since line art to follow his process
>>
>>2534696
Original reference/model/etc?
>>
>>2534696
There are people who have a workflow where they finish a single part and then move onto the next but it does seem rather odd that he finishes one part so precisely, movies onto the next and everything seems to line up correctly. (with no under drawing to be seen)

I mean there could be one and he is turning it on and off to make it look more impressive but who knows. He's probably legit and has just painted so many images from photos it's not even funny.

>>2534697
On a side note if you want to be taken seriously stop use the phrase "top Chinese painter" or "top US painter". You sound like you're trying to be some art industry insider that knows all the cool hip people, the who's who of artists when frankly you're just some basement dwelling moron who looks at the same 20 painters that post to social media.

>Oh, don't know know this guy? My favorite artist who I white knight for all the time. He's a top Chinese painter. Aren't I so cool because I know who this guy is? Did I mention he's a top Chinese painter?
>>
>>2534716
Hahaha fair enough about calling him a top Chinese painter. Maybe I should have phrased it better. I felt if I just called him one of the top painters in general people would come out of the woodwork and start arguing about that. As for Chinese painters, well, he was one of the first ones who became known online outside of Asia. He and Ruanjia would post on conceptart and stuff and were quite well known. It's only very recently that the other digital guys from there started posting on western sites like cghub and artstation.

I don't see Linran brought up as much as before, but he really was pretty famous at one point. My point is that he has a good reputation and has maintained it for a number of years, so he isn't some unknown guy who could be using weird methods and tracing and stuff.
>>
File: 65a62c1fgw1er3zr8q6vdj20so15o7av.jpg (247 KB, 1032x1500) Image search: [Google]
65a62c1fgw1er3zr8q6vdj20so15o7av.jpg
247 KB, 1032x1500
Okay, thanks for the replies. He does look legit. Pic related is another study of his, he definitely has good brush economy. That particular process might be BS though.
I found a asian website where you can see the steps in higher resolution. It starts on page 8, scroll down and click on 9 etc. to go forward.

http://news.hxsd.com/CG-creative/201206/650788_8.html
>>
>>2534696
He's just copying a photo, so it doesnt really matter how he works. He could as well just be zomming in so much that individual pixels are visibiel and copy those centimeter by centimeter, this workflow it has no relevance for actual painting when you dont have exact photo to xerox.
>>
>>2534733
Of course he's legit. He has traditional drawings of his if you go back on his blog and they are very good. He also has painted things without reference and posted sketches with insanely good loose brushwork that is obviously all skillfully painted and not traced or anything.
>>
>>2534744

This is silly. Unless you're an autistically precise photocopier then workflow does have relevance even for copying a photo.
>>
>>2534696
what an awful process. but, as everybody says, is probably appropriate for just copying a photo.
>>
>>2534709
>manga
>artist
chose one
>>
>>2534733
how do i go about getting super clean brush work without zooming in 100x.
Does he work back to front and with different layers of shading? like diffuse, specular, ambient occlusion and not necessarily photoshop layers but just that mindset.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around how to paint something like this somewhat quickly and at the same time cleanly.
>>
>>2534915
Looks like he blocked in the silhouettes of things and then used clipping masks to paint within them cleanly, then at the end softened some edges.

And while it looks (and is) very efficient and economical in brushwork, it doesn't mean it was actually done quickly. To do something so precise and economical you need to take a lot of time thinking before making each stroke.
>>
>>2534927
It's interesting how he delineates the forms with lines. Is it just for texturing or maybe the forms weren't reading well enough without it?
>>
File: church-unfinished.jpg (56 KB, 750x529) Image search: [Google]
church-unfinished.jpg
56 KB, 750x529
It's called "area-by-area painting" or "window-shading".

And yes, it's different from the usual of blocking in the whole painting and then working big to small.

It's a legit way to work. Examples exist from Ilya Repin and Frederick william Church using the method.
>>
>>2535848
iLya?
iLya kuvshinov maybe?
>>
>>2535911
fucking die
>>
>>2535911
ilya is not a made up name, google it and you'll see there's more named like that
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.