[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did any of you guys ever take a leap of faith and just quit everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: becb5cb80cabf2f3-KimJungGi_01.jpg (826 KB, 1023x721) Image search: [Google]
becb5cb80cabf2f3-KimJungGi_01.jpg
826 KB, 1023x721
Did any of you guys ever take a leap of faith and just quit everything to study art?

i'm about to quit my good paying job as a civil engineer, in order to study art full time.

How stupid is this? How stupid is it not to do it?

I actually like my job too, but it's exetremly demanding and i can't Draw more than about 15 hours a week, which makes me kinda depressed. Lately i've been getting trouble because i can't motivate myself to work anymore, i just wanna Draw.
Had to work 90 hours last week, high stress, no drawing. Now i just feel completely burnt out.

i've been doing art, watching videos, Reading articles and forums for so many years that i feel like i know exactly what to do, i just need the hours.
I don't even know if i want to work as an artist, i just need to create.

I'm getting older, 24 now, but i'm still not bound to a house, no kids, girlfriend etc, yet i feel like i'm on the verge of giving up on my dreams already if i don't act now.
I've applied for a mediocre one year program at a public school, general drawing and painting, but it's just to get the student loans. School is free where i live, and 40% of my loans for rent/food is free if i pass all exams, which should be easy as i probably know as much, or more, as the teachers already
(i have seen their stuff online). It's not that many lectures per week, and i can work on my own stuff, hardcore mode.

If i quit my job i have no guarantee that i'll ever get it back. At least not in these oil crisis days. Could take a masters degree though, i got the grades, but that's no guarantee either.

I don't even know why i'm writing this, i'm just scared to quit my job i guess, i really like my boss and colleauges too, i feel like i'm failing them quitting mid project.
I feel like i'm in a good spot compared to people in other countries though, but still... friends and family think a have gone insane, leaving safety for some "dream" they don't understand.

Have any of you guys done this?
>>
>>2534209
>Did any of you guys ever take a leap of faith and just quit everything to study art?
>Have any of you guys done this?
Ye. It worked. Go for it. Although make sure you follow a schedule and don't fuck around.
> but still... friends and family think a have gone insane, leaving safety for some "dream" they don't understand.
I didn't have anyone that believed me either but ultimately art is a job like any other. The question is if you're willing to give up your job to make art full-time because nobody else can do it for you. GL
>>
>>2534209
I wish you a lot of luck. You are still very young so go for it.

I would like to do the same, but I don't have steady clientele to make the big jump & not enough money saved up yet and debt from student loans.
>>
do it OP, fight for your dreams, you seem like a smart guy, i'm sure you will make it
>>
File: disappointment2.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
disappointment2.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>2534209

>I like my job but it's hard and I don't have time for things I'd like to do (art)
>quitting mid demanding project in a job
>not having full education
>being relatively new to the job
>having student loan
>asking bunch of NEETs on the internet
>not even neutral-looking NEETs, but eternal wannabes hyped about Kim Jung Gi
>not being in any way established in not even in local/real art community, but in any kind of community

OP, you are a bit...hmm...how to say it delicately..."whimsical", yes, this might be proper word.

Sure, there is never "right" time to do things (like having a baby or starting going with art full time), but seriously I would advise you to end things you began.

You can't quit mid project. People depend on you, but even if you disregard them, it means you are a quitter when things go tough. Art IS ultimate escapism and I'm worried that it's what you are about to do - escape from problems.

You usually switch to freelancing or doing art full time at a studio when you know that you could support yourself with your art. Have you done any freelance? Do people want your stuff?

Also fuck, pay out your student loan first. Do you really want to quit your job (that you like!) when having a loan that you must pay off?

Age has nothing to do with starting art. Anyway, you are still practicing, not as much as you'd like, but you can up the hours as times go on. After this project at job you will have more time. Plus if you advance on better, that is - more stable position in your or other firm, you can cut time or responsibilities to cram more of you there.

You shouldn't quit your job exactly because you are young, not because you are getting older. BeksiƄski didn't really paint for 15 years and guess what - he had a job throughout his whole life. He first worked in civil engineering(something you are familiar with)for couple of years, then he was town councilor AND AFTER ALL THOSE YEARS he got a part-time job as a designer in bus factory
>>
>>2534260

So seriously - if you could become somewhat recognized in your local art community and actually sell your stuff - and don't have any fucking loans, but actually savings - then sure, switch to job that demands less from your including less work hours, get engaged in works of local community as photographer, sculptor, painter, go to local art events, help with designing posters, decorations, art installations etc. to get in touch with other artists, and ofc also to get some money and connections.

And seriously, get yourself a gf, preferably the one with stable job because oh boy, life would be so much easier for you when you will finally decide to switch to art and you will see that you don't bring money in one month.
>>
Wow, thanks you guys, i really appreciate the feedback. I expected more of the normal "/ic/ negativity".

>>2534213
Neat.
Do you freelance? Like, barely surviving or prospering? I live in norway, shit is mad expensive here and i'll need to make at least 120 USD a day just to survive if i'm gonna rent a normal apartment.
I'm more worried about finding clients than getting to the required level, I could probably get some work at my current level.... But it's all the other stuff... is it negative to live where i live, how should i gear my portfolio, will i get work without knowing any professional artists... that kind of stuff.... I'm probably overthinking it, but it's probably good to be a little worried, makes you work harder i guess, at least i do.

I guess this is kinda universal though... you'll never go past mediocrity in any field, be it business or art, without taking chances. Yet you are stupid if you try, and those who succeed are still considered winners.
>>
>>2534268
I thought Norway gives handouts to artists. Otherwise how would all those blackmetal sperglords survive?
>>
>>2534209
The key with all this is discipline
If you have it you can make it
>>
File: kp.gif (271 KB, 540x784) Image search: [Google]
kp.gif
271 KB, 540x784
>>2534209
OP: What is your goal?

If you haven't HEAVILY researched what field of art you want to go into, and outlined a specific plan on how to get there, then you are phenomenally retarded. You will regret this decision very quickly.

It is NOT easy to make a living with any sort of art. The more structured your goals and plans are, the better chance you have. It currently sounds like you have nothing planned.
>>
>>2534260

Valid points, but:

I don't have much student loans, as i said school is free here, and iv'e saved quite a lot working as an engineer for 2 years.

My job is starting to get really repetative, and a collegue of mine is still doing the same shit after 5 years, and he is one of the hardest working people (and nicest, maybe that's the problem) iv'e ever met too.

I believed i could just train on the side of working, but now as i'm realizing what it's about, i feel like the days just fly by, without something important happening anymore.

I haven't freelanced yet no, but iv'e been contacted several times on joining indie projects but i don't have the time (and i don't wanna work for free. I see the level of some freelancers that's getting work, and i could definetly do better than many of them... but, thats hard to say, it's difficult to judge your own work, and i felt "kinda good" back when i was truly shit, just because i was much better than non-artists.

You're more right about asking "NEETs on the internet" though, but i got to reflect on it and even som interesting response, so i'm happy.
>>
don't do it.
I dropped out of highschool and it was dumb.
I was actually drawing less while a neet and you are going to get depressed
>>
>>2534270
heh, if they do, its to a selected few contemporary artist painting rubbish, and it's still not nearly enough to live off. The black metal guys make their own money.

>>2534279
I know exactly what my options are here, and where i want to gear my portfolio. Still i got no idea what's the "safest option" as that's hard to read up on, so i guess i just have to do what i like best. I have probably spent thousands of hours researching.
>>
>>2534290

I'm getting depressed right now by not doing what i want do to.

And i got an usable university degree too, so it's not like i'm fucked if i quit, i just might have to move to another town for a while to get a proper job as an engineer again, but i wouldprobably get my old job back if i asked.
>>
>>2534296
Let me take a wild guess - you want to get into concept art or sci-fi/fantasy illustration?
>>
>>2534268
>Do you freelance? Like, barely surviving or prospering?
Basically. Kind of in the middle, not making great money but it's not worse than I was making before. Bear in mind I've been drawing for 4 years now and took 1 year off to draw full-time. I agree with the others that not having a plan is stupid.
>>
>>2534308

Yes of course, isn't that what the majority of potenital clients need from a 2D artist? As far as illustration goes, it doesn't have to be sci-fi/fantasy fantasy of course, i expect more like drawing props and assets for mobile and indie games and such at first maybe.

I don't think many freelancers count on just one source of income, so . I would spend much time on marketing if i were to try to live of it, be on all platforms, constantly putting out work, maybe make gumroads tuts, videos etc.

Also i'd like to sell originals, pencildrawings and such, if i make at least a small following, and the drawings are nice, it should be achievable to make some bucks on stuff i would make anyways.
>>
>>2534282

>I don't have much student loans

But you have them. Pay them off before jumping the ship.

>, i feel like the days just fly by, without something important happening anymore.

That's not a problem of your job but you. If you need a change, make a change in how you live now, but unless you are 200% sure and safe financially don't quit your job unless it's super, super bad.

>I haven't freelanced yet no, but (...)

No butts. You haven't freelanced at all. Do so, it might be the change you need. If you do so, you will see if you can dedicate to it forever. If not - hurray, you avoided doing stupid decision.

>b-but no time to freelance, job, depression etc.

No butts.

>I'm getting depressed right now by not doing what i want do to.

Or maybe because you are overworked. Or you aren't having enough sun. Or meeting with friends. Or it's bad diet. Something in the water. Being 24 and not fucking pussy regularly.

Get out your ass. You are too hyped right now and are at low in your job. If you are so fixed at "pursuing art" at least do those things:

1. Pay out student loan
2. Freelance in the field you'd like to go in the future
3. Wait with quitting the job when there will be again more lazy time/at least after project.

If you want to be one-man firm in the future (freelance), start being professional right now in everything you do.
>>
>>2534326
Where do I start following you?
>>
>>2534330
Couldn't have said it better. If you can't even commit to your current project now and you walk away from it, then you're bound to do the same thing in your studies after your hype is gone.
>>
>>2534330
err, you're probably right on some points, but the economical ones are not as much of a big deal as it seems.
>>2534331
Well, i post on many of the bigger art sites, but it's mostly old work. I don't link my stuff here by default as it contains my name, i like the anonymity here.
>>
>>2534343
Just quit and do it if money isn't a problem. If your skills are truly good, you shouldn't have a problem getting another engineering job anyways.
>>
>>2534209
Set goals first, maybe take a break from your job for a while. It's easy to get depressed when you get burnt out. Take some time off to think about things, and don't rush such a big decision.
>>
>>2534338

I shouldn't have put it that way, i'm not leaving shit behind ruining everything for the company, i'm giving 4 months advance, it's nothing they can't fix, i can finish all my current tasks before leaving, and i don't even remotely consider delivering sloppy work before i leave, (even though i might have done that one time recently).

I see your point though, and you are probably right, but i don't think this applies to my situation as much as i may have made it seem.
>>
I'm meaning to quit my job but I realize it's not the worst job in the world since I can watch tuts on my phone while I work so that when Ai come home I have already killed 2 birds with one stone and can draw for 6 hours. But yes I do need more hours...but going back to being meet will arise problems with my parents to crippling depression to not being able to afford food for myself, supplies, artist subscriptions, and other nicnacks. I would also like to afford my way out and get a studio apartment one day. The thing with a job is that Im forced to work with the limited hours I have and that gives me my full attention. Like if i was meet and its 11am right now id probably be shitposting on IC and eating breakfast...but instead I being productive at work making money.

If I had a say in it I would but nothing feels worse than being powerless with no stream of income coming in.

Posted from my Samsung galaxy atwoork
>>
Op have you considered staying at you field of work but doing it as part time as you study art. Either a 3-4 days a week or short hours so you will still have time to draw and less pressure from work. Something to get you sense of structure in daily routine and as side safety net.
>>
Just quit security to study carpentry 2 months ago, best decision ever
>>
>>2534407

Becoming a policeman or a guard on parking lot is admittedly already shit prospect that pensioners can have so it's totally different kind of decision.
>>
>>2534326
>Yes of course, isn't that what the majority of potenital clients need from a 2D artist?
>Yes of course, isn't that what the majority of potenital clients need from a 2D artist?

Holy shit. Triggered.

Concept & sci-fi/fantasy art isn't the only field of illustration. In fact, it is way more niche than a lot of people on /ic/ will ever realize, and yet it is one of the most over-saturated 2D illustration industries in terms of competitiveness by highly qualified people. The supply far, FAR outweighs the demand.

This board has real problem with tunnel vision, and completely fails to even acknowledge the existence of any other industry that uses illustration regularly. You say you've done your research, but you clearly haven't.
>>
>>2534412
>isn't the only field of illustration
other anon here but mind elaborating?
>>
>>2534415
Illustration can basically be used (and often is) for any sort of promotional, retail or editorial project. For example, let's take advertising. Advertisements often use illustrations, and they pay very, very well. Editorial (for magazines and such) still use illustration a lot. A lot of major magazines have ceased circulation, but many are still doing well, and they are many, many smaller magazines popping up all the time that can still pay a few hundred per drawing. Illustrations for packaging are still common, and can still pay very well. A single illustration for these can often bring you in thousands and thousands of dollars (even tens of thousands), because you are selling the license for the illustration - not the time spent making it. The wider and more valuable the usage, the more money you can make.

There are others too - I HIGHLY recommend picking up "The Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook for Ethical Pricing" (or something like that). Seriously - buy this book. You'll learn a whole lot about different directions you can take your work, and it's a great starting point to learn about the fee's you can charge. I don't mean to imply that any of these other fields are much easier to break into - they're very competitive in their own ways.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>2534412
Op here

You are of course right, it was stupid of me to say that. I don't think more than a single digit precentage of the illustrators and designers work in enterainment, escpecially not where i live...

I guess i'm biased as well, wanting to work in the entertainment industry, i hould have specified that, but can you blame people for wanting this? On the surface, it seems like you can make what you draw for fun as a living, propably not the case, but still...
I want to draw characters, scenes, cool things... doesn't seem impossible to achieve?

>>2534415
every 2D drawing you see, posters, ads, product packaging, logos, book covers, must have been drawn by someone. And every product you use must have been designed by someone.
>>
>>2534415

I'm other anon and wanted to reply, but >>2534425 basically said it all. Oh and there's ofc Industrial Design or book illustration. Look also at job portals, say, Behance and what kind of jobs there are for people having anything to do with art/graphic design.
>>
I have two thoughts when it comes to people talking like how you do, OP.

1) I encourage anyone to throw their life away for the sake of passion, since sometimes a person won't feel fulfilled with their life until they actually take huge illogical risks. I've seen the gap between dying old people who regret and feel fulfilled, and it always has to do with the risks they were willing to take. The biggest regrets dying old folk have, is what they didn't do, rather than what they did wrong.

and 2) If you're going to do something new, please try to have a solid plan. If you can't conceptualize one in your head now, be on the lookout of how to do so. People sometimes take a huge risk and just waste time because they have no idea what they're doing or how to achieve it. Art is very diverse, full of many kinds of fields, expectations and various different skillsets. Pick a specialization. A single job you want to do. And aim for that. I say this because it's very specialized, not only in skillset, but in expectations as well as the fact that your biggest bet at monetizing has a lot to do with other people. Whether that be internet fame raking in the cash for you, or whether it be you requiring networking to know the right people to get hired at a studio. Your art skills alone are useless. People need to know they can trust and depend on you, which is why networking is so important.

If you know what industry you're trying to get into, networking is much easier, since you know who you're trying to befriend, and where they're going to get you.

If you have no idea what you're doing, and your thoughts are "I just want to make pictures!" I suggest taking a step back and reevaluating where you're going. I've seen people say those words before with no clear goal in mind, and now they're 50 years old and unemployed. They can certainly paint, but they have no idea what individual industries expect of them, and employers expect you to walk in already knowing how it all works.
>>
Don't do it

Art is absolut shit

You WILL regret it

I would kill to have a job like you have

Now I'm just a retarded loser who works part-time since he can#t get any other job and just draws shitty commissions to survive.

Don't fucking do it, don't listen to all these art students who get all their shit paid of by mumm and who constantly yell "FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS FOLLOW YOUR PASSION".

Christ almighty, didn't you read even ONE "feels" thread here on /ic/?

Where literally 90 % of the thread thinks about suicide because they can't get anywhere with their art?

Do you think you're better than them? I wouldn't think so.

tl;dr dont fucking do it, do yourself and your family a favour
>>
>>2534460
Don't listen to this loser, he is a case of didnt make it.
>>
>>2534464
>he is a case of didnt make it.

Just like you and OP in the future, retard.
>>
>>2534460
>>2534466

hah, well, at least i can go back to my old career after a year of studying art if i wanted.
You are partially right though, many won't make it, no matter what, it's probably the same as the guys i encountered in engineering school, who just didn't get math. Thats life i guess, but you never know until you try, and hard work is definitely more important than talent if you wanna be good, but you probably need the talent to become great.

An income through art would be nice, and i feel like i know the correct path to achieve that, but first of all i just wanna become good, become great, so i can make the things i want and be creative, and the products will not just be creative, but also be beautifully executed.

>>2534434
Valid points, but do you really think that it doesnt matter if you got superb work, if you don't know people? The standard message froms professionals in podcasts and videos is that if your work is up to quality, then you will succeed.
>>
>>2534209
Do it
>>
>>2534209

Hey opie don't have the time to read entire thread but have a bit of my life story for you to digest: dropped out of uni at 23 to become commercial artist. Everyone thought I was retarded and would end up an absolute failure. Essentially the moment you even mention your plans you are already labeled a failure. Did it anyway, bought myself time to study full time for about 2-3 years (leftover student loan money) and took it very very seriously. Just after that I started making some money freelancing, and eventually started making 'enough' money freelancing. Now I make as much as I want or need really and wake up every morning full of energy to jump back into work. It's amazing. It's absolutely possible and if you have the brains to become a civil engineer you easily have what it takes to succeed doing art as a career.
>>
I'm this guy >>2534498

I used to post exactly this kind of stuff >>2534460 regularly before 'breaking through'. So it's funny looking back at how wrong I was, even though I was so sure I was right back then.

My last job took zero skill and paid 750$ for about 4 hours of work, 6 including the 30 emails.

Do it op, I can tell you've got what it takes.
>>
>>2534507

Cool. How many jobs you have in a month? What's the average they pay you?
>>
>>2534480
>podcasts
Cool, now let me tell you my personal experiences and the experiences of people I know.

If someone hates you, they will make sure you never get hired in any environment they work in. If they see or hear your name, they're going to let everyone know what they think of you. This makes you lose opportunities. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you're a piece of shit, good luck. People don't want to work with certain people and make sure they don't work with them. Artists, like everyone, are clicky as fuck. People are not objective nor fair.

If someone doesn't know you, it doesn't matter how good you are -- if you are a complete and utter unknown. A lesser artist will be picked, if they know that lesser artist is a good person to work with and is reliable. This is how I got my job. There are countless artists who would have better filled my position, but it apparently doesn't matter because bossman heard I was reliable from someone he trusts. And I didn't even need to look for my job, they came to me!

Who you know and how they know you, is very important. It determines whether you are a gamble, a detriment to the team or will be pulled into positions just because people like to work with you and have good history with you. Yes, you have to be good at art. There is threshold you definitely have to pass to get a job. That's not being called into question. But if you think you don't need people, at all, you're horribly mistaken.

Or do you think your art will be so amazing that it will stand out amongst the countless masses of artists around you? You know, a lot of people make amazing work. A lot. And they all want the same job. You're in high competition with more people than you think. Why would you overlook networking, which can help you break through that competition? Don't be stupid, make friends with other artists that work in a field you like.
>>
>>2534533
>>2534507

What would be a good way for someone with no connections to make them? Just ignoring technical skill for a moment.
>>
>>2534209
The problem is not that you want to draw more. What you want to do is work less; do that instead. Nobody is actually forcing you to work 90 hours a week; I'm pretty sure that's illegal in many countries.
>>
Art isn't going to solve your problems OP.
>>
>>2534537
Environments where you can meet other artists who make the stuff you're interested in making. So obviously not /ic/, since everyone here is anonymous. Real life events are obviously better than online events. Depends where you live. I know this works because I'm in a city where events with artists and small studios are sort of common. I met people from school events, small studio parties, general art events and friends through friends, etc. I never went to school for any kind of art course, but I know someone who did, and they pulled me into those kinds of circles and I can see how the right school can be a powerful tool for meeting the right people.

I couldn't tell you how to do it online, because I've always done it offline. If you want to do it online, someone else would have to give you advice on that one. I can tell you straight up though, I would not have a studio job, at all, if I never went to those events in real life. If your city isn't very active in that kind of thing, then I don't know what to recommend to you.

I will say though, for your peace of mind, I know someone who is exceptional at what they do, and just posting very good art online, on CGTalk, was enough to get them the attention they needed to get work when they were first starting out. But I will also say, this was kind of back in 2007, and I don't know if it would be that easy nowadays. Assuming of course, you were able to reach that quality of work.
>>
>>2534529

I couldn't possibly say what the average pay is because it varies so much by client and gig. I pull in roughly 2-3k € a month though. And I do this without too much trouble. In fact there's quite a few emails I never bother replying to simply because I don't have the patience or they seem like hard-to-please or low budget clients. So I can tell you with certainty there's plenty of work out there and if I can tap into it, anyone can. I do very little self promotion and marketing and get by just fine.

The only thing you really need is to have a couple of years to go crazy and study obsessively. Like your life depended on it. Fuck moderation. Move back in with your parents if you have to. In fact I wish I had done that to buy myself another year and start out even stronger.
>>
I actually have an entrance examination day for art college tomorrow morning. I still have to fill a questionnaire to send it to them. Can you help me out? It's a Bachelor in Illustration.

1. Write down, in short, why you chose for an art degree.
2. Did you make this decision on your own or did someone advise you to apply for this course?
3. Why did you choose our Academy?
4. Why did you choose this specific course?
5. What do you want to learn at our academy?
6. What are your strengths?
7. What are your weaknesses?
8. How do you handle criticism?
9. What have you done/ accomplished in the last couple of years?
10. In what way does this add up to/have an influence on your chosen course?
11. What are your experiences in this field of study?
12. Describe your future profession. Imagine yourself graduating from our academy and working in this field of study; where do you see yourself in seven years time?
>>
>>2534604
Bait.
>>
>>2534561
>>2534593
Thanks a bunch for this advice anon. I'm slightly saddened because my town is complete backwater england, with absolutely nada going on. But a lot of cities around me have big game company bases in like rockstar Leeds etc. My aunt is good friends with someone who works at Rockstar Leeds so I might chase that link. I think right now I wanna go autism mode in terms of studying and getting better.
Is CGTalk a worthwhile place to start posting? I'm going to start a portfolio on artstation as that seems to be pretty good. One last question, do you think its worth just getting in contact with games studios (with a portfolio) looking for work?
>>
>>2534604
>What do you want to learn at our academy?
What do I say. I need some terms related to drawing.
>>
>>2534604
>3. Why did you choose our Academy?
Killing spree, I'm going medieval on your asses
>5. What do you want to learn at our academy?
I want to show you what a true god looks like
>6. What are your strengths?
Muuuuuuurdeeeer!
>>
>>2534604

You the WDKA guy?
>>
>>2534692
Yes. And I made it. I did 15 works in 17 days. I think I'm ready
>>
>>2534700

When did you sleep?
>>
>>2534704
It wasn't time-tight unexpectedly. I stayed most of the day in the basement (as I am now). Went to bed every night at 00:00. I still had time to chill a few times and oddly, every thing went smooth.
As for my drawings, I think they're good and creative enough. Depends on the standard but I'm proud of them.

I used pastels, gouache, sanguine, drawing pens, markers, and pencils and that's it. 15 drawings. Averaged one a day.

And if they ask me to keep the portfolio I swear I won't give it to them. I'd rather quit the entrance than this.
>>
>>2534711

Heh, I remember when you posted how you are totally unmotivated and fucked up and can't do anything. Glad that you did it all. I hope you'll get in!
>>
>>2534718
This is the first time in almost 2 years where I feel like I'm actually trying to accomplish something. Cheers.
>>
>>2534711

Is there any way of seeing your work or contacting you off /ic/? I'm the WDKA dropout btw. I'm curious right now. Grats on making the deadline, you've got that going for you at least. But I am going to be brutally honest here as well: to me, it's not really reassuring that you are putting that questionnaire up for us d/ic/ks to help you answer it. The are going to ask question about your motivations and pry to get a feel of who you are and what interests you. Ze zijn gek op lange, zweefteverige antwoorden, doe vooral heel interessant en geengageerd cuz ~ART~. Zou het je nog steeds afraden als je echt iets wilt leren. Hoop voor je dat je een jaar vanaf nu er anders over denkt dan ik maar vrees het ergste. Please keep us posted and good luck!
>>
>>2534641
It's actually two different anons giving you advice. The other guy sounds like a freelancer.

>Is CGTalk a worthwhile place to start posting?
I haven't been there in ages, but /ic/ keeps saying it's dead now, so I assume it's dead. I never got any attention posting my stuff online, so that's not a thing I pursued. I don't know if you can get hired off ArtStation, as I don't browse there either, but it seems like the current place to be for artists. But, if you really want to self-promote, you should actually post your stuff everywhere, not just one place. More eyes will be on it the more places you can be active in. Especially if you go the freelance route.

Is video games what you want to get into? Concept art, as a job, might not be what you think it is. It's not very glamourous or fun. It's prestigious, but it's also very creatively draining and demanding. Depending on where you work, you also might also be forced to do paintovers, for speeds sake. My time trying out concept art, landed me in paintover hell and made me want to quit being an artist. I didn't work video games though. I'm in VFX. So maybe video games might be slightly less paintover-y.

>do you think its worth just getting in contact with games studios (with a portfolio) looking for work?
Of course. Get a good portfolio together first. While you study, just look into studios and what they expect of their artists and study what you need to know, as well as achieve a style that game studios will want. You need to be very fast though. They want your ideas more than anything else, and you need to convey them quickly. Definitely also chase your link with your aunt's friend to see if it can get you anywhere with it. But a warning: he might not be able to help you, depending which division he's in. Artists would be ideal to connect with, but definitely see if he can help you any.

You might also want to consider smaller studios when you're a newbie, since they tend to be easier to break into.
>>
>>2534735
Ik heb het net klaar gemaakt. En ze vraagden per se om korte aantwoorden.

Ik ben nog steeds twijfelachtig over dit gedoe. Ik heb nog niet een eerste indruk over de academie. Ik kan altijd na morgen gewoon opgeven en naar een atelier gaan.
>>
>>2534746
Ah haha, my bad, I didn't realise. Thank you anyway, I really appreciate the answers.

I post my stuff all over anyway so its all good. And yeah, I checked CGTalk and it seemed dead.

I do want to go into concept art, but ideally in the future I'd like a job where I draw leisurely and not stuff that I hate. What do you do now that is more enjoyable?

Also yes I've been keeping track of jobs available, and I'm gonna dabble with some 3d so at least I can say I have a little experience with it. Haha, she said that too, but maybe I could get pointed in the right direction by him at least.
>>
>>2534604
Are you really that incapable of answering these on your own?
>>
im happy for you bro, seems like it'll go well for you. and if it doesn't, you're 24 with a civil engineering degree, you can always go back to that n make money
>>
>>2534604
>1. Write down, in short, why you chose for an art degree.
I hate having money in my pocket and food in the fridge. I want to be able to draw houses, but I'd rather live in a dumpster in the back of a McDonald's.

>2. Did you make this decision on your own or did someone advise you to apply for this course?
My father told me he wanted me to have enough money to support myself and a family if I ever decide to have one. However, he's clearly too stupid to decide what I want to do with my life, and I know more than him already. I just have to chase my dream and everything will somehow work out for me in the end.

>3. Why did you choose our Academy?
It came up first in my Google search

>4. Why did you choose this specific course?
Back in Elementary school, I used to take exams all the time. I had terrible anxiety on each test and could barely complete them. I then found out drawing penises all over my answers brought me a sense of calm I had never experienced before. However, my teachers didn't feel the same and I spent most of my days in detention or special ed. This art class is the only place I can kill two birds with one stone: I can draw penises as my test answers and get a good grade all without having any nervous breakdowns.

>5. What do you want to learn at our academy?
Child pornography is completely banned in the U.S. I've heard there are loopholes involving drawings.

6. What are your strengths?
I have too many to list.

7. What are your weaknesses?
I have too much strengths.
>>
>>2535469

>8. How do you handle criticism?
I have yet to have ever done anything wrong, so I have not been in that situation before.

>9. What have you done/ accomplished in the last couple of years?
I've done many intriguing things that have been promptly recorded in a safe place. Give my local police station a phone call and they will clue you in on all the details. I believe everyone at this college is over the age of 18, so there shouldn't be any problems. I may have to miss Bring Your Kid to Work day.

>10. In what way does this add up to/have an influence on your chosen course?
When I really want something there is nothing I won't do to get it. There is no authority on this earth, god or police officer, that can stop me forever.

>11. What are your experiences in this field of study?
I drew a lot of anime in high school and all the kids said I was great. I don't think I even need this class, but I wanted to make sure I remember all the basics before I move on. I can even help out other students in the class with my superior style of drawing.

>12. Describe your future profession. Imagine yourself graduating from our academy and working in this field of study; where do you see yourself in seven years time?
I should be in Tokyo, Japan by then. No one knows me there, and I can start all over as if nothing happened. Nothing at all.
>>
File: 1460054297058.gif (444 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
1460054297058.gif
444 KB, 500x252
>>2535469
>>2535470
god my fucking sides
>>
>>2534735
It's done. I think I did pretty well. Almost too well. I expected something more formal. Also, I'm kind of dubious that there were teamworking opdrachten. I'm more of an introvert. Not interested in le artsy group hug. So I don't know at this point if I'm going further with this.
>>
>>2536147
I should probably post my portfolio here for criticism
>>
Cmon anon don't be fucking dumb.

Save up enough to pay off your loans and enough to live on for at least 3 months. Because that 3 months of money will be gone in 1. If you aren't passionate enough about art to even do that, you're definitely not cut out for art. I mean jfc 90 hours a week even in a starting civil engineer salary it won't take THAT long. Give your employer a month's notice so you're not fucking them over and they have time to replace you. Don't burn your bridges.

THEN quit. If you aren't making livable or close to livable wages by the end of the month, you aren't going to make it, get your job back.
>>
>>2536156

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so The group assignment is new, I didn't have one.

I'd be very interested to see your work.
>>
>>2536220
It wasn't a group assignment. The first one, you do yourself. The second one, you had to approach a candidate about what he did and make your own interpretation of what he did.
I'll start a thread
>>
>>2534209
Drawing is not as fun as it seems, especially if it's your job. Most serious artists are depressed because they're never good enough and can't make a living. Your current job sounds great and for a naive beginner it would be extremely stupid to drop it all. I guarantee you'll give up art once you realize how hard it is.
>>
File: ss+(2015-03-24+at+06.05.05).png (97 KB, 801x799) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-03-24+at+06.05.05).png
97 KB, 801x799
>>2534302
Oh my god you're such a fucking baby. You're not gonna make it because you're delusional. Stop asking people if you've already decided. Go do it, fail, start again, fail 100 times, finally give up and beg for a normal job.
>>
>>2534209
I've been thinking the same, I just turned down a job because it meant standing in the street months on end to get random passers by to sign up to shit. Potentially it would have ended up earning me 100k if I was stupidly good at it and rocketed through promotions but I get completely burnt out if I have to keep doing 1 to 1 conversations several hundred times a day.

Learn Web Design on the side if anything it's still creative, or even just word press it's an open market and I should've listened to my brother and done that anyway since I want to make my own website for comics and artwork etc.

Good luck man, for the record turning it down made me realise I couldn't put a price on drawing and it was the best godamn thing I've felt in years.
>>
Didn't read thru the whole thread cuz im lazy scum

Quitting a job like this? Sounds quite stupid really. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, you need to have the option to fall back on something. For every success in this field there are a thousand baristas drawing funny shapes on cappuccinos. I'm sure you know.

So you hate your job, guess whut nigga, ALL jobs suck, embrace it. My job sucks and it's by far the least soul-sucking one I could find right now with this economy, in my shithole of a country. Do you imagine the economic production we would have if everyone did what they like? Wew lad. And unless you have to fight with either your boss or the bank, that sounds like a fine job to me.Though generally speaking, you're not destined for great things without going the self employed route.
You like the people there? You're lucky. I just check my anger at the entrance every morning.

You seem creative, you've got a pretty decent degree and an entrepreneurial spirit too I hope. Since you mentioned Civ.Eng. I guess you know your way around maths, you might want to take a close look at programming bootcamp, wouldn't hurt, maybe start a small business on the side, do art then, make a small game, who knows.
No GF, not bound in one location, hopefully little debt you should get rid of before anything else. Hopefully you have some money saved up. Good! You're way ahead of most of the retards your age.
Also dude, relax, you're 24, you've got nothing but time. Sit down, grab a pen and paper, make a plan.

Art School is bs, you can probably find everything you need on google, forums, and this board. Look around, there's NMA, Vilppu, Hogarth, Eaton, you name it. Rest is up to your own work ethic and discipline.
Also what do you mean "free" school? I guess you mean taxpayer money right?

Your dreams are cute. Don't quit your day job. Bye.
>>
You really need to love doing art if you plan on doing it full time. And I mean REALLY love it.

I was at a government job doing boring paperwork all day before leaving because I finally found a full time illustration job. I thought it was going to be amazing, but in reality it's actually quite draining.

You rarely get to draw what you want to draw, so you're mostly drawing things you have little to no interest in, The bosses are usually completely inept at describing what they want and constantly asking you to fix and change things.

Some days I wish I had remained at that government job and just continued freelancing/doing art as a hobby. The government job had much better benefits too.
>>
I quit my job to draw 15 hours a day. The exchange is I'm homeless with no savings.
>>
>>2534209
I plan on doing this as soon as I finish school. I have always drawn but now I really want to do it as a career.
>>
i thought it would be funny if instead of shitposting anon was using reverse psychology and telling him to do it so op would wreck their lives.

seriously though i would say try it. if you dont mind getting another less good job if you fail later. what do you have to lose.
pay the student loans though.
>>
File: nervous.gif (2 MB, 244x201) Image search: [Google]
nervous.gif
2 MB, 244x201
is there any chance of an introvert in the field of art/design/illustration "making it"?

the talk of networking freaks me out yet i know how vital it can be ...
>>
>>2537009
Of course there is.

Most networking can be done more effectively and faster via the internet than in person.
>>
>>2534209
Please do it OP. I'm the same age as you and I'm so mad that I just occasionally fucked around with drawing in college instead of really studying it hard. Don't let people give you bullshit about being "safe" and "reasonable", if you have to work a job you hate then you're better off dead.
>>
>>2534840
>ideally in the future I'd like a job where I draw leisurely and not stuff that I hate
When you work as an artist, unless you're freelancing or working for yourself, you don't get to pick what you work on. In a studio, you're just handed work and you're expected to get it done. You're often handed dull or stupid things to work on, unless you're part of some sort of really sweet gig. So, you are not always going to be making something you like. Art, like any job, can make you jaded. I've noticed most people are motivated by big names and getting into credit lists. But not everyone is. If that is not you, you'll find some jobs to be completely mindnumbing and unrewarding. And if you're shooting for "drawing leisurely"; concept art, as a career, is not what you should be shooting for. It is a career with tight deadlines and requires a lot out of you (creatively). It is not leisurely.

Alternatively, you can freelance. You can pick your hours and choose your work that way.

>What do you do now that is more enjoyable?
Studio work and freelance work does not offer me the kind of work I want to be making. I took an easy job painting textures (VFX) so I could have an easygoing day job that requires no brainpower and is stress free. I have nothing to say about my job other than it's boring as balls. Then when work is over, I come home and draw and create the actual things I want to be working on. What I have most interest in, is my personal projects. Turns out what I want to draw, isn't a real job, so I have to figure out a way to make it a real job and that's not a thing you can quit a day job over. I'm basically underwhelmed and unsatisfied with all the things I've ever worked on. I'm tired of working for others.

Now, personal projects, that's a thing that's much harder to get into flight. Everyone seems to have countless failure stories at those.
>>
File: rfgfrt.png (44 KB, 170x182) Image search: [Google]
rfgfrt.png
44 KB, 170x182
>>2537048
Oh I know how demanding concept art is, I'm not expecting to be able to draw what I want. I mean as an ideal job somewhere down the line. I freelance right now already. Probably because I've been dubious about having enough time on top of college, and I don't advertise much. But I'm leaving in a year and I want to be able to find a job as soon as possible really.

I understand what you mean about being underwhelmed working for others. I draw porn on the side right now and can make decent money from one commission, so I'm thinking of going down the porn game route. I enjoy it, make my own schedule, and have seen some successes in adult games with patreon. Anyway, I hope you find success with your own projects.
>>
>>2537063
I meant to add in 'I don't make a lot of money,' right before 'Probably'.
>>
>>2534209
>I'm getting older, 24 now
Nigga, are you fucking kidding me? You're not "getting older," you're at the start of your adult life. You want time for art without worries? Work like mad and save like FUKKEN mad (I'm talking 50% of your income, more if you at all can) until you're 30-35, retire early and spend the rest of your life doing exactly what you want for as long as you want.

Delayed gratification, but gratification nonetheless. And even if you're working until 30-35, that's far less than most. And you can still draw in that time, you know.

Take the long view, and don't listen to a board full of fags who listened to their guidance counselor telling them you need to know what you want with your life once you're out of kindergarden.

If nothing else, at -least- work a year or two more so you have some experience and a chance at getting a similar job back down the line.
>>
>>2534209
http://storyboardresources.tumblr.com/post/129864788466/interview-with-andy-cung-pt-1
>A lot of sleepless nights, patience, and a lot of luck! The Powerpuff Girls is my first job in animation. Before that, I was previously working as an Electrical Engineer at Broadcom Corporation for the last seven years (2007-2014) and moonlighting as an art student from (2011-2014). Prior to 2011, I never took drawing seriously as I was just drawing for fun on my own time. It was not until I discovered the private art school Concept Design Academy founded by Kevin Chen that I decided to take my art education seriously.

http://storyboardresources.tumblr.com/post/129958573851/interview-with-andy-cung-pt-2
>>
>>2534302

So are you actually asking for advice, or just wanting someone to reaffirm your wanting to quit your job and pursue art full time?
>>
you fucking nigger. You get paid to sit on your ass and work for the government designing roads or bridges or municipal sewage systems. Do you know how many motherfuckers would kill for that type of job? I got friends saying they're working on their masters degrees but in reality they're sitting at home crying about not having a fucking job while they take care of their brothers for minimum wage that their own parents pay for. You seem to be talented enough to do freelance work as an artist so get off your ass and make a portfolio and keep drawing on your freetime. Shit, if you work in an office go draw on your breaks or be smart and draw while on the job. You can make it work. Going to art school is fucking stupid. Either you have the talent or you don't.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.