[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is photography art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: photographer.jpg (109 KB, 704x499) Image search: [Google]
photographer.jpg
109 KB, 704x499
Is photography art?
>>
According to /p/

no
>>
>>2533375
No, art is the reality around us perceived by the human mind expressed in a variety of ways like drawings and sculptures.

A camera merely creates a near perfect depiction of the world and there is no human element to how it will look. (Unless of course photoshop is used in which case that may be art)
>>
>>2533375
It can be. It's just a tool like anything else. In some people's hands pencil and paper can create art, in another person's hands it just leads to stick figures.
>>
>>2533375
Contrary to >>2533402 I believe art is all about composition. The way that the elements in a photograph combine, much like in a drawing, is the art. Not everyone can take a good photograph, much like not everyone can draw a good picture.
>>
File: Oh boy here we go.jpg (11 KB, 251x249) Image search: [Google]
Oh boy here we go.jpg
11 KB, 251x249
>>2533402
>>
>>2533415
I suppose so. I just think that pic composition and lighting etc. is much more limited as to how much human expression can be put into it compared to a painting or other artwork.

I'm just quite strict with my view of what is and isn't art but it can be subjective.

>>2533417
Don't worry, I've already had my fill of internet arguments for the day.
>>
>>2533375
Sometimes photography is art
Most of the time it is not, and is just a means of recording things
Sometimes it's not even that, and is just a fool doing something foolish with their phone to post it on the interwebs
>>
>>2533375
>is composing shapes of light and dark of varying colors within a set frame art?

Gee, I don't know man...
>>
>>2533375
Yes
>>
>>2533375
that depends, are you a faggot?
>>
>>2533375
>>2533408
>>2533415
>>2533481
>>2533497
wouldnt that technically make our eyes art?
>>
>>2534678
Art is a communication. You share visuals with people and say something with colour and light in paintings and photography, you share ideas with words etc. You cannot share what you see. If there was a machine that could record what your eyes saw, then it would be possible to create art with it. I guess a video camera and film would be close to this, but they don't see reality in the same way our eyes do.
>>
>>2534678

Don't be obtuse. There's a lot more to photography than "point camera, done." in exactly the same way there's more to drawing than "lmao just move the pencil man its not rocket science."
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.