[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, what paper and pencil achieves this type of look and line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: joseph-qiu-img-20160510-0001.jpg (1 MB, 1537x2400) Image search: [Google]
joseph-qiu-img-20160510-0001.jpg
1 MB, 1537x2400
Hey, what paper and pencil achieves this type of look and line quality? I always see it on concept art forums and certain artstations..

I just don't get the look with my experience using prismacolors in normal sketchbooks
>>
>>2532611
It's done in a Moleskine sketchbook
>>
>>2532611
Are you sure it's not mixed pencil + charcoal? Those thick dark lines look charcoalish to me.
>>
>>2532611
Try and draw it on computer paper with a number 2 pencil. Superficial artists masturbating over art supplies. If you suck, a nice peice of paper and pencil won't help.
>>
>>2532611
Any light grain sketch paper + a mechanical pencil with 2b graphite? It's not a very unique look.
>>
>>2532613
this makes sense.

mechanical pencil with a charcoal?? i dont personally see thin mechanical pencil lines..
>>
>>2532644
Where do you see charcoal in that? And have you actually tried mixing graphite and charcoal? It doesn't work well.
>>
>>2532656
was asking the guy that suggested it has charcoal! i dont think it does either
>>
>>2532656
I haven't tried it, but I've used plain charcoal before and it makes dark lines without needing a lot of pressure. Even very soft pencil need a lot of pressure to get those dark blacks, and that would crush the grain of the paper which I don't see here.

Maybe it's just pencil and the levels are tweaked after scanning to make it look darker.
>>
>>2532661
You don't need charcoal to get this dark. It could be that the scan is making it darker, but even a 4B pencil could do it, especially without the shine of the graphite showing through.
>>
>>2532611
blackwing pencils drawn on moleskin sketchbook
>>
>>2532698
well those seem retardedly expensive, blicks doesnt even have em
>>
>>2532727
It really doesn't make a difference. The variation between expensive and cheap pencils is marginal. Expensive tools in the hands of an amateur will give amateur results.
>>
>>2532611

You could do this with any soft pencil on any paper with a bit of tooth. Or photoshop
>>
>>2532611

that image is pretty bad.
>>
>>2532897
your crit is pretty bad
>>
this is 100% Charcoal, you don't get those dark blacks with a 2b. The lighter lines also look very charcoaly. Not vine charcoal but a charcoal pencil, like the pierre noir, generals, wolfs carbon etc.
>>
You're all fucking retarded. 3b-6b depending on how hard can you press the pencil. The paper has to be grainy.
>>
>>2532905

Art supplies shill detected.

You can draw this with any shitty soft graphite pencil on a paper with tooth, anon don't fall for this snake oil salesman.
>>
>>2532954
Well ofc you can, I am just saying with what supplies OPs Pic is done. Not saying it's the only way, or even a good one.
>>
>>2532902

not as bad as your artwork. i don't need to critique a shitty beginner drawing, that's not how it works.
>>
>>2532905
Charcoal would get way darker than this. This is clearly pencil / graphite.
>>
>>2533193
charcoal can get pretty soft and light lines.
>>
>>2533226
Definitely, it was more response to the person claiming that the darks are clearly charcoal, which I disagree with. Pencils can do this, and charcoal could go much darker.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 879x527) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 879x527
>>2532611
Rough paper, and the way you hold your pencil.
>>
>>2532611
looks like average ass pencil on average ass paper to me.
it's just the artists skill level and their style of handling the pencil.
pretty much all of my sketches look like that, just more shitty
the darkness is probably from the lighting or the scanner set up.
>>
>>2532618
It's not that dark my 4b pencil can come out that dark and the person probably raised the contrast a bit
>>
>>2532954
All my this.
>>
>>2532611

Good rendering.
Using different grades (HB-6B).
Quite soft pencils.
>>
>>2532905
Do you even draw ? This is obviously graphite. Pls go
>>
File: tumblr_o0ex2dSukN1tqbyy7o1_1280.jpg (526 KB, 653x687) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0ex2dSukN1tqbyy7o1_1280.jpg
526 KB, 653x687
>>2532611
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.