[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
improving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: earths.core-1965.jpg (285 KB, 1012x1600) Image search: [Google]
earths.core-1965.jpg
285 KB, 1012x1600
I have all summers to get better. What should i study and what should my schedule look like?
>>
I think you should draw a lot.
>>
File: mastery.png (3 MB, 1400x6521) Image search: [Google]
mastery.png
3 MB, 1400x6521
>>2532490
>>2532492
Oh, by the gods, I wasn't going to reply, then I say this.
Lemme just drop an image...
Done! Now, this image doesn't mean much on it's own, but it'll help you understand why you're doing what I'm about to prescribe. Namely, drawabox.com
This site will teach you the basics of all the things, so as you go through them, you'll be getting betterer and betterer. Assuming you do two lessons a week, it'll take you seven weeks to complete, then another 7 to re-do all of them just in case. Have fun!
>>
>>2532499
See, not say.
>>
i already been drawing for about 4-6 hours each day for 2 years. I want to make that jump from amateur to working. Should i choose one skill like portraits and try to master it or do a little bit of fundamentals each day?
>>
>>2532508
>i already been drawing for about 4-6 hours each day for 2 years.
really?
>>
>>2532508
post work
>>
>>2532508
Well, for that, I'd ask that you post your work so that the good artists (e.g. not me) can gauge how far along you are.
>>
im about to scan some of my studies
>>
>>2532508
>i already been drawing for about 4-6 hours each day for 2 years. I want to make that jump from amateur to working

I haven't seen your work but it sounds like what you need is a portfolio. Getting better is a lifelong goal, you'll always have to study to get better, that's a given. I'm running on an assumption here, but if you don't have a portfolio you should work on getting that done now rather than leaving it for some future time when you'll feel you'll be good enough to work on one.
>>
File: study of sargent.jpg (2 MB, 2550x3507) Image search: [Google]
study of sargent.jpg
2 MB, 2550x3507
a study i did late last year. i rarely scan my stuff so this is all i have
>>
sorry i shouldve resized lol
>>
File: 1461004031885.gif (2 MB, 336x167) Image search: [Google]
1461004031885.gif
2 MB, 336x167
>>2532533
>4-6 hours for 2 years
>mfw
>>
>>2532525
exactly! what should i do to improve this summer?
>>
>>2532542
honestly work fundamentals. In you example values seemed very off. The entire face is a highlight and seems over all very flat. Just keep drawing man. If you want to get serious make yourself a schedule that is fit for you. I would not recommend doing more than 6 hours a day and keeping one unit to max 2 hours. Dont know what you expect desu.
>>
File: 1446097604008.jpg (15 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1446097604008.jpg
15 KB, 184x184
>>2532533
if you claim this to be your work from all that time then this is a bait thread

hide and move on if you don't want to be rused

you heard it here first
>>
>>2532533
negative spark levels detected
>>
i know im not the best and need improvement . what would a schedule look like for someone looking to get better at doing portraits?
>>
>>2532490
5 hours cut into 30 minute drawing sessions. the other 10 hours should be used to improve your visual library because your a pathetic shit head. Go outside and stroll, finish a video game, an episode of whatever TV series you're into

then applying everything thing from the VL building into your studies and sketching time.
>>
>>2532559
Practice portraits every day
>>
>>2532559
Same as all artists, draw till you get callouses. Once that happens, you know you're ready to start getting good.
>>
File: random study.jpg (175 KB, 745x1024) Image search: [Google]
random study.jpg
175 KB, 745x1024
another sample. the first image was a little blurred out and the dark charcoal didnt pop out, but it still sucks
>>
bump cuz i need some direction
>>
draw more
>>
>>2532533
you need to start more basic. Gesture drawing, proportion, rendering, line weight. Find an exercise for each one of these and practice them daily.
>>
>>2532564
>draw till you get callouses
Wait does that really happen?
>>
>>2532629
Only to some people. It depends on how you grip the pencil.
>>
>>2532499
This is pretty good, Icarus.
>>
How long before I get somework if I keep on practicing?
>>
>>2533065
instead of posting here just draw for christs sake. this is no rocket science.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.