[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sculpture/Sculpting 101
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: img_5560.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
img_5560.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hello, I am interested in picking up sculpting to supplement my studies, I think it would be very beneficial for visualising form and memorising anatomy. My budget is workable, though I probably wont make anything taller than 20 inches because of storage.

Does anyone here have experience sculpting with physical media? Suggestions on beginner materials (clay, armatures, tools), books, tutorials would be appreciated. Sculpts welcome (yours or not). How do you store/preserve your sculpts in between long breaks and after finishing them? Do you fire or cast it?
>>
File: portrait sculpture.jpg (42 KB, 500x849) Image search: [Google]
portrait sculpture.jpg
42 KB, 500x849
just get basic clay, it's dirt cheap. best price/performance ratio. just make sure you get clay without chamotte, unless you plan to fire it. i would advice against it though. you have to hollow your sculptures for it, and it's a hassle, also you would need access to an oven. plaster cast is the way to go in my opinion.

storing a sculptor is easy, you just water it with a spray bottle and then cover it with a plastic bag. you have to re-water it like every two weeks, though.

youtube has quite a few tutorials just look for "portrait sculpture"
>>
>>2529693
http://floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2010/08/3d-maquette-tutorial.html
>>
File: Cumbie_sculpture_dept.jpg (36 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
Cumbie_sculpture_dept.jpg
36 KB, 400x288
>>2529721
thanks, can you approximate the size of that sculpture and how much clay you used for it?
>>
>>2529721
>just get basic clay, it's dirt cheap

where? It's really expensive here
>>
>>2529693
Clay is a great way to start. If you're making stuff larger than a couple of your fists, get wooden blocks as an armature.
Study the underlying structure of anything you want to sculpt. Bones, muscle, muscle attachments, etc.
>>
>>2529693
Theres a product called monster clay thats great for beginners. It doesn't require any special storage and doesn't get too soft with the heat from your hands. It can be melted like wax if need be
>>
File: 20160429_154409.jpg (1 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
20160429_154409.jpg
1 MB, 2576x1932
Honest question, is there any legitimate chance of me going anywhere in the artworld with what I have? I'm 18 now, but I made that two years ago in one of my art classes (I had no prior experience with clay when I made that). I'll post my most recent work, a clay head/bust thing when I can.

I mean, how do you get noticed and all of that?
>>
>>2529693
i tried many materials from clay for kids to blu tack, i feel comfortable ussing chavant clay , i tried the soft one but it melts in my hands so i recomend to use the medium or te hard one, ive tried also another professional materials like wax based clay and super sculpy but havent mastered them yet , i would like to try basic clay again but im too lazy to work with it also everytime i try it ends up being a mess , a lot of dirt everywhere, and i dont have enougth space rigth now.ik my english is shit soz
>>2530278
http://www.jorduschell.com/blog
try listening to any of his audioblog hes a profesional sculptor and works with many more in the industry
>>
>>2530278
That's pretty good anon. Nosferatu Zodd right?
>>
>>2530445

Yeah bruh, was and still am super into Berserk I was actually making one of Shirou Emiya's swords from Fate/Stay Night, and was basically done with it. But like the little retard that I was, I tried grabbing the handle (the whole thing was freshly dried terra cotta) and made the whole thing crumble.

This Zodd bust was made out of pure, depressed rage.
>>
File: tiger blood mouth.jpg (342 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
tiger blood mouth.jpg
342 KB, 1024x1024
>>2530278
Really good, only critique I have is that the blood in the mouth is a bit overkill.
I would have left some of the lips visible and probably kept the teeth to a minimal level of blood coverage.
>>
>>2529775
go to a local park in the middle of the night and bring a shovel; rip the shit out of the ground and strain all the extra out of it.
>>
File: 1767-990x582.jpg (93 KB, 990x582) Image search: [Google]
1767-990x582.jpg
93 KB, 990x582
>>2530278

I would give up on traditional sculpting and do digital sculpting.

Look at Zbrush.

In the future most of the sculpting would be digital.

On how to get notice, just get good.

Look at work like Steve Lord, Grassetti or Frank Tzang and try to become as good as them.

Also, traditional sculpting is slow and stupid. It going to be dead in a few years due to 3D printing.
>>
>>2531570
>buy wacom
>get sculptris/zbrush

and thats all you need
>>
File: zodd.jpg (305 KB, 1203x1147) Image search: [Google]
zodd.jpg
305 KB, 1203x1147
>>2530278
That's pretty good. Do you have a tumblr/deviantart/artstation or something like that?
>>
>>2534276

I wish. I don't have enough works to really post on any sharing site, unfortunately.
>>
>>2531570

Is traditional sculpting really dying? Will someone pay good amounts of money for something digital?
>>
>>2531570
And to add to what I should have posted in my last reply, I wouldn't call traditional sculpting "slow" and "stupid." There's a significant amount of fineness and skill needed to manipulate traditional clay, and if you fuck up you could ruin your entire piece.
>>
>>2531444
>I would have left some of the lips visible and probably kept the teeth to a minimal level of blood coverage.

Mmn, I thought so. I did go a bit overkill on the blood. Thanks for the critique.
>>
>>2529693

Never knew Jeremy Clarkson was into sculpting
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.