[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alternatives to loomis for drawing faces? i can't draw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: toolkit04.png (1 MB, 1084x1170) Image search: [Google]
toolkit04.png
1 MB, 1084x1170
alternatives to loomis for drawing faces?

i can't draw perfect circle, especially large ones. loomis just is not working for me.
>>
>>2529675
an hero
>>
>>2529675
Well some people just start drawing with the eyes when drawing large pieces so drawing a perfect circle isn't really necessary.
>>
>>2529675
Git gud, m8.
>>
>>2529675
Well, that's not a good sign, anon, because drawing a perfect circle doesn't have to do with Loomis, it's the basis of any face. But yeah I hated Loomis's cartoon bullshit so just draw whatever the fuck you want on a sphere because that's all that matters is you understand how it works. You could just look at real life anatomy if you want. There's tons of head construction tutorials that dwelve into faces too.
>>
>>2529680
>Well, that's not a good sign, anon, because drawing a perfect circle doesn't have to do with Loomis, it's the basis of any face.
Drawing a perfect circle isn't important. It's certainly not a requirement to be able to draw a face.
>>
>>2529675
Who is this guy and why does he have so many followers?
>>
Here's the magic trick doctors don't want you to know, OP.

Learning Loomis doesn't mean copying blokefaces. In fact, if you're just drawing loomis faces you're probably not understanding what the fuck he's telling you. People who just copy the Loomis faces usually aren't actually applying the concept, they're looking at a drawing in the book and reproducing it, which isn't the point. None of Loomis' books are "how to copy a drawing straight out of a book like any idiot", they're you can learn constructive drawing. Plenty of people can do without, but lots of the people who skip construction still did it until they internalized it.

You can go right into a drawing if you want, but unless you know exactly what you're doing it'll probably look like trash. People who draw fast and make it look easy have put in the time and effort that it's second nature.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5 KB, 292x342) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5 KB, 292x342
>>2529675
There's a method where you start with a dot representing the center of the hairline, then go down to a dot on her chin, then again from her forehead to a dot on the top/back of her skull, and finally connect the back of her skull with her chin. Add lines for eyes, nose etc.

What you have now is a triangular cross-section of the head. Some people prefer this method because it helps them with perspective. Try it on some photo reference, it's pretty gud.

Sorry for the crappy quality, I lost the original tutorial.
>>
>>2529695
i'm tired of being just a photocopier. I'm much better as a photocopier than i am with loomis. I just wish I could say i'm making progress with this shit.
>>
>>2529695
i haven't been copying loomis' drawings in H&H, but I have been using the method for other heads. Right now I'm using quickposes to do 90 sec "gestures" of head refs to practice and get use to loomis construction. Is that a good exercise and correct application? Do I have to copy his drawings?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7cDY7YDsg
>>
>>2529675
Drawing a kind of ok circle or ellipse is pretty important also outside of portraiture. You can start a face though by blocking in the contour with straight lines, thats the way I do it normally. Like this one in the video is doing,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV07P0N-8Ys
>>
>>2529681
If you want to be even recognized as a decent artists, you should be able to freehand shapes properly. Everything you draw should be constructed out of shapes; if you have trouble drawing them then fucking practice- or rip your draws.
>>
>>2529675
MY DICKK!!
>>
>>2529870
"Perfect circle" implies are mathematically correct circle. Drawing those freehand is not important.
>>
>how do I git gud without doing work pls
>>
>>2530164
>"Perfect circle" implies are mathematically correct circle
???

That is not what it implies on /ic/ at all
>>
I use many method when i practicing head
Loomis method block method contour method whatever shit
>>
Loomis is great when you want to know where the features of the face need to be placed no matter where the head is facing
Loomis from my experience does not teach how to add in the details at all. It just provides a way to draw from imagination or reference that allows for proportions and placements of features to be anatomically correct
I'm a beginner like yourself OP and I have to say drawing a 'perfect' circle is important. If you can't freehand a circle well then you have to practice it
Look up exercises for that shit until you can do it good enough in a few tries. After a few weeks of this you'll become a natural and always draw the circle you have planned in your head
>>
Have you tried using a square instead?
>>
>>2529675
I want to give semen tribute to that drawing
>>
>>2529695
His book's a bit confusing about this since he starts saying "copy the stuff in blue ink" and then goes right back around and says "do a lot of inventing". I suppose he meant that one should copy to get the concept, and then put Doohinkus in lots of new poses (even if they suck at first?)

But then there's an awful lot of faces and poses in "Fun With a Pencil", and if they're not there for copying, they must be there as a reference library. Which we should ignore since we're supposed to use our own wedges and spheres instead. Or something.

...basically, "copy to understand a concept, then move those building blocks around on your own," right? I knew copying stuff forever wasn't getting me anywhere.
>>
Then keep drawing circles.

When you were a baby you couldn't walk, but it didn't keep you from propping yourself up with other objects so you can stand upright.
>>
>>2530203
>on /ic/ we have our own definition of perfect circle that actually refers to imperfect ovals
yeah that makes sense
>>
>>2529675
>alternatives to loomis for drawing faces?
I like the Reilly method.

The "default" lay in is really complicated but you can (and at least Watts encourages you to) take what you need from it and create your own lay ins as simple or complicated as you need.

I like to work from what Steve Huston says "Simple but Characteristic". So I leave my lay in pretty simple: Head shape, eye line+brow, nose line, mouth line, cheek plane.
>>
>>2529675
practice tracing over paper, get the curve lines mechanical into your muscles memory.

use your eyes

draw at larger scale

try to draw a bit loose and not too firm while maintaining form

layering your sketch
>>
File: 1423203628308.jpg (56 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1423203628308.jpg
56 KB, 1024x708
>>2529675
>he thinks loomis method is about drawing perfect circles freehand
>>
>>2529675
ey bby u got a blog?
>>
>>2529675
ey bby u got a shoulder?
you do?
Fucking use that then to draw the fucking circles you fucking pleb
>>
>>2529675
>i can't draw perfect circle

Use a compass then.
>>
File: jA4CbR5.jpgjpg.jpg (163 KB, 1345x765) Image search: [Google]
jA4CbR5.jpgjpg.jpg
163 KB, 1345x765
>>2529675
>>2530799
Didn't loomis stated that he too wasn't good at drawing perfect circles, and that even him had problems making straight lines

I think it was at the beginning of "fun with a pencil"
>>
>>2530847
drawing "perfect cirlces" dont matter shit straight lines however...
>>
Reilly method is goat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE
>>
>>2529675
The construction circle can be as lop-sided as the family budget and still work.
>>
>>2530842
Whoa that anatomy
>>
>>2530879
Rulers exist for a reason you know. Ability to draw perfect circles or straight lines freehand is almost irrelevant to most art. Many big name pros like Mullins have mentioned they can't do it.
>>
File: image.png (195 KB, 304x290) Image search: [Google]
image.png
195 KB, 304x290
>>2533868

Ehhh....
>>
>>2533868
nigga, if you cant make straight lines rulers wont help you.
>>
>>2533887
Sure it will. And I'm talking about super anal straight lines. 99% of pros can't freehand it as straight as Scott Robertson because they don't need to. If you can draw a semi-straight line you are fine and then can use a ruler or hold shift if you are working digital if you ever need a perfect line.
>>
>>2533891
Not. Gonna. Make. It.
>>
>>2533891
you do know that I mean by straight lines not mathematical straights but non-wobblydogshit, yes? How do you even draw when shits all over the place jesus.
>>
>>2529675
Use a compass you idiot.

And a ruler.
>>
Train line drawing with a ballpoint pen. Then when you switch to something with more friction it will feel easy to control.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.