[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /ic/'s opinion on Krita? I tried it, liked it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: kritaosx.jpg (219 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
kritaosx.jpg
219 KB, 1920x1200
What's /ic/'s opinion on Krita?
I tried it, liked it but I'm struggling to find brushes that fit me.
>>
I hated it, impossible to work on large canvasses with it. Ton of lag painting with larger brushes, for some reason it will cap your brushsize at 200px while using hotkeys to inc/dec it which is super annoying. I like that it's opensource, but it just doesn't compare to PS
>>
its come a long way, its pretty good
>>
>>2529027
Which Pokemon is this?
>>
>sees thread about Krita
>suddenly notices the ad on the page is Krita too
Alright, what's going on here.
>>
>>2529044
you
>>
>>2529046
I just deactivated uBlock and I don't see ads.
>>
>>2529046
>ha, 2 years of /ic/ and I never saw a krita add here.jpg
>scroll up, ''make text and vector awesome! support krita now''

as far as I know adds depend on your search history
>>
Since 3.0 is almost out things have gotten a lot better, particularly the performance issues that >>2529032 mentioned

It lacks a handful of really high end features but for anything of moderate seriousness it's the best you can get for the price and on occasion better than stuff you have to pay for
>>
>>2529027
It's alright, really good for something that's free if you don't pirate stuff
>>
>>2529052
>using the search engine jew
>>
File: bostonglobe.com_.jpg (57 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
bostonglobe.com_.jpg
57 KB, 960x640
>>2529032
The cap is actually 1000px

To add on to what the other anon said, working with large canvases and brushes is now trivial in 3.0: The "image" of the canvas that you see has been decoupled from the "actual" canvas in memory, so you can place large strokes and see what the devs call a "Live Preview" of the stroke rendered on the canvas' "image", which displays in real time for large and small brushes*.

At the same time, the stroke is being rendered onto the "actual' canvas behind the scenes, which can take a second to complete, or a dozen seconds, or a minute if your brush is massive and complex, but this isn't displayed and doesn't effect the performance of the interface and live previews. If you place more strokes they will still display in real time while the previous stroke is being calculated.

This is a massive change to the rendering engine and it functions at a very low level, as a result, every tool and action that can change the canvas enjoys a performance benefit in visual feedback.

*a major factor that effects live previews is the size of the brush in terms of screen real-estate. So if you zoom in such that your brush is as large as the monitor, live previews WILL take a hit in performance.

>>2529046
krita devs completed their 2014 kickstarter (animation toolkit and better osx support), they're running another one to develop better tools for vector and text manipulation tools and are shilling everywhere. Honestly i think its stupid. There are better tools out there for placing text. Developing workable text tools will be a huge timesink, considering the specific needs of various languages/scripts. I'm only looking forward to better vector integration.
>>
>>2529027
The Right Brush For You is a brush you have to work for. There's fairly comprehensive documentation on customizing brushes (specifically the bog standard pixel brush engine, there are other engines you can use like the color smudge engine. Some engines are unstable)
>https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/Brushes
>https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/BrushEngines/PixelBrush
>https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Tutorial_4A
>https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Tutorial_4B
>>
>>2529135
does that mean that if you turn off the brush-screen connection ->no more lag in krita?
>>
>>2529143
I'm not entirely certain what you mean. If you decoupled your strokes from the screen then you would have absolutely no visual feedback of your strokes (no live preview).
>>
>>2529149
there is an option in krita to turn off the brush-to-screen size correlation, I am not speaking about the cursor
>>
It wasn't bad for what it is, if you want Photoshop its probably the next best thing, but I fucking hated it. I had to get it because before I bought windows for my new PC I was running Linux and everything was fucked, including Photoshop. I got the distinct feeling it was essentially Photoshop but shitty. It was like using a Chinese knockoff of PS, that had almost everything but some functions were just plain awful or missing. If you want that kind of program then just get PS, if you want something different then get PT Sai.
>>
>>2529158
I only gave krita a try because I tought you could not paint in sai.
>>
>>2529158
>It was like using a Chinese knockoff of PS
Krita is a knockoff of SAI or Corel Painter if anything. You're talking about GIMP.
>>
It gives me analysis paralysis with the brush menu when I can just load up photoshop and use hard round size or hard round opacity and it just werks.
>>
>>2529183
>it just werks
please no /g/ has left me traumatized
free me from this proprietary prison
>>
File: krita ad.png (269 KB, 1495x665) Image search: [Google]
krita ad.png
269 KB, 1495x665
make art great again
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-20-11-51-58.png (157 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-20-11-51-58.png
157 KB, 480x800
>>2529052
Whoa dude. I scrolled up after reading that. I've never searched for krita or posted about it before.
>>
ITT: krita shills

Whatta coincidence that krita is currently buying adspace on this site.
>>
>>2529245
(You)
>>
>>2529027
brush engine is great, sad it crashes so often.
>>
>>2529256
/thread
>>
>>2529256
It crashes! Fuck, that is why I hated Gimp. It crashed on a school project and fucked me good. Had to stay up a couple nights that week.
>>
>>2529256
It does for you? I've been using it on linux and it crashed maybe once due to me pushing it to its memory limits. Funnily enough, it works better on linux than windows for me.
>>
>>2529245
>krita shills

It's a free program, bud.
>>
>>2529046
>>2529245
The Krita foundation isn't buying adspace, I put up a $20 ad on /i/, /ic/ and /g/ as they're currently running a kickstarter. I'm also not the OP of this thread. I decided to buy the ad because I greatly enjoy Krita and want to give their kickstarter some more exposure, because better text and vector tools is what I'd really like for scanlation purposes.

>>2529052
4chan self-serve ads aren't personalised that way, they're only targeted on a per-board basis.
>>
It's rough around the edges but pretty great, really love the vanishing point assistants and smudge brushes.
>>
>>2529555
>I put up a $20 ad on /i/, /ic/ and /g/
>give their kickstarter some more exposure
>for scanlation purposes.

BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>2529350
try copy pasting anything and you'll see how easily it crashes, on photoshop I can literally use a whole drawing as a brush without it dying.

I'll probably go back and try krita in another year or 2 since its constantly improving.
>>
>>2529027
I generally hate digital art.
>>
>>2530522

*tips newsie cap*
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.