[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I have to use spray fixative on my charcoal drawings?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: displayartwork.jpg (84 KB, 250x428) Image search: [Google]
displayartwork.jpg
84 KB, 250x428
Pretty much what it says in the subject. I have heard that the spray looks like shit, but on the other hand, I have also heard that not applying it will fuck up the charcoal drawings in that they are delicate to smudging especially when storing them in between other papers.
>>
>>2527451
Fixative on charcoal isn't as bad as other mediums like pastel. But you should try it out for yourself rather just asking the internet. If you find that it flattens your drawing too much you can always go over it again. And this sort of goes without saying but you should work on proper archival paper if you want to use fixative, on newsprint it won't really do shit to preserve your work.
>>
>>2527491
Ah ok. I'm sure it works well on charcoal drawings, I was more wondering whether it is bad if you don't apply it, If it will actually damage the drawing when storing it. For example, I would be worried about smudging and other damage when storing a bunch of drawings in a stack.

I know trying it myself and experimenting is the best option, I was just looking for input from people who have used it before.
>>
>>2527491
Oh and another thing, proper archival paper is just acid free paper, right? I'd assume most sketchbooks come with this kind, so I think I am good.
>>
>>2527451
If you want to keep your drawing for a long time, yes. It wont hurt your drawing much. I mean why the fuck...its charcoal. Not exactly masterpiece grade of a medium.
>>
File: 20160413132334.jpg (113 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
20160413132334.jpg
113 KB, 600x600
>>2527534
The fuck are you talking talking about. Masterpieces have been made in charcol.
>>
>>2527511
I have some stacks of old sketchbooks that I've been storing awhile, never sprayfixed them, and recently realized the drawings have faded significantly just from rubbing against the paper above them. They're square bound and never been through any rough treatment, they've just naturally started fading away and rubbing off over time, probably from just my house shifting or whatever. Definitely recommend sprayfixing your shit, even if you think you're storing it well, it will naturally start to fade or rub off on whatever is around it.
>>
>>2527511
If you're keeping it in a stack, it'll get messed up to a certain extent regardless of what you do, especially if you move said stack around a lot so the papers move against each other.
>>
>>2527603
>>2527604
Alright will do. One more question. I have heard this is different concerning pastels, that it is recommended you don't spray them. Is this true?
>>
What I don't understand is how has charcoal drawings since really as far back as the cave man drawings stayed in tack? Even as far back as the renaissance, as well.
>>
Spray them, I keep a can for this reason. Shit gets grimy and fucked up.

That spray also allows you to do charcoal underpaintings and fix them in place without allowing your oils to pickup the particulate.
>>
I made a school piece with charcoal once, teacher assumed i sprayed fixative on and stored it.

Next art class my whole piece was a blur
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.