[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern "Art" Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
Post only the worst modern "art" you can find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhi9HljGqog
>>
File: 1461952074965.jpg (16 KB, 202x249) Image search: [Google]
1461952074965.jpg
16 KB, 202x249
Everything is art goy! It's subjective.
>>
File: sim_nao_2.jpg (276 KB, 450x626) Image search: [Google]
sim_nao_2.jpg
276 KB, 450x626
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgka8boMIZs

"Yes. No."
>>
Low-brow? Yes
But the lower you go, the more you know.
https://youtu.be/BgQfz2a0JfQ
>>
>>2526615
>responds to a Jew making fun of modern art, with a picture of a Jew defending modern art
>>
>>2526614
I'm truly disappointed that /ic/ loathes contemporary art.
the one indicator that no one here is going to make it.
>>
File: 3-18.jpg (112 KB, 814x1194) Image search: [Google]
3-18.jpg
112 KB, 814x1194
>>2529335
b-but I like a lot of contemporary art
>>
File: 1463664897830.png (217 KB, 390x435) Image search: [Google]
1463664897830.png
217 KB, 390x435
>>2529335
>not going to make it
>>2529348
Stop replying to this meme

For the record, a few posts doesn't give a good indicator of all of /ic/. I like Rothko too, but there's not much to discuss about it.
>>
>>2529348
>>2529351
I would really like it if we had a contemporary art general threat on /ic/
>>
>>2529357
So would I, but I have a bad feeling it would be overwhelmed by angry spergs.
>>
File: 1460783264854.png (9 KB, 558x565) Image search: [Google]
1460783264854.png
9 KB, 558x565
rare art pepe

only look
DO NOT DOWNLOAD
>>
File: zwu54rN.jpg (26 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
zwu54rN.jpg
26 KB, 650x487
>>2529365
>>
>>2526614
I have come in contact with contemporary art at a close level when in college.

And fact is, while there are some true diamonds to be found in modern art (see rothko, chapman brothers, jeff koons, etc.) it also provides a hiding place for total trash ( see abramovitch, andreousopoulos, etc).

I believe we are witnessing its demise right now and taking its place is a more demanding type of art ( see nychos, isaac mahow, ino). Good if you ask me.
>>
>>2529399
>Abramovitch
She's done some really cool stuff.
>>
>>2529401
most artists i've met, didn't really like her work in general (including me).

Specific projects of hers that turned out good could only mean 2 things:

- either luck

- or she doesn't really put enough effort on her other works.

In my opinion, both are terrible, taking consideration in the amount of $ she makes
>>
>>2529399
abramovich has some goat stuff dude, she is by miles better and more relevant than fuckin koons and the chapmans thats for sure.

the thing is, she is a true conceptual artist, and has rarely anything to do with actual visual stuff
>>
>>2529407
>abramovich has some goat stuff dude
Not liking her work is just an opinion.

>she is a true conceptual artist, and has rarely anything to do with actual visual stuff

Totally agree here.
>>
>>2529399
This is true. Whilst looking for a university course I looked at so many fine art degree exhibitions only to find absolute trash in most places. I mean literally, one installment was simply old trash bags hot glued to a wall. But I will defend contemporary art to people who try to lay into it with no knowledge or basis.
That's an interesting opinion, I've always wondered where it would go after this. I think it all depends what the youth is interested in, and they're not interested in edgy dadaism and subverting classical painting.
>>
>>2529406
Well, you and all the other "artists" you've met are wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaso0j9x098
>>
>>2529427
>and subverting classical painting.

renaissance is a very good basis to learn how to structure synthesis and modern movements like impressionism and surrealism are pretty important on learning color and symbolism.

studying them is totally important.
totally agree with the rest
>>
>>2529436
Hm. I totally agree. I meant the modernist movement rejecting painting painting, and beginning to welcome more conceptual art. I realize it was the wrong choice of words.
>>
>>2529430
>Well, you and all the other "artists" you've met are wrong.

what is wrong with having an opinion?

does this video prove my opinion wrong?

we are having a discussion here, to claim that marina abramovic is the only road to salvation and everyone should follow blindly isn't getting us anywhere.
>>
>>2529439
yy.

Now it seems that there has been a change in priorities, bringing craftsmanship first and concept second.

I think that tattoos and the "good side" of graffiti are the reason this is happening.
>>
>>2529440
>we are having a discussion here, to claim that marina abramovic is the only road to salvation and everyone should follow blindly isn't getting us anywhere.
Is that what I'm doing? No. I posted an example of one of her great works that wasn't 1. luck or 2. made without effort.

So we should just follow your opinion and blindly believe what you say?
>>
>>2529458
>2. made without effort.

I meant the bad works like "the artist is present"
and while the one you posted would have been tiring, the only skill it requires is walking (no, i won't bring the "anyone could have done that" to the argument).

This lack of a skill buggers me. That's all.
>>
>>2529472
You are one dense motherfucker. I'm done talking to you.
>>
>>2529427
>But I will defend contemporary art to people who try to lay into it with no knowledge or basis.
That's just pretentious hypocrisy, the same as getting mad at people picking on a younger sibling even if you pick on them all the time.

>It's not good enough that you don't like it, you have to not like it for the right reasons
Get over yourself. People don't need an education to tell if shit is shit.
>>
>>2529506
>That's just pretentious hypocrisy, the same as getting mad at people picking on a younger sibling even if you pick on them all the time.
That is not even close to the same
>People don't need an education to tell if shit is shit.
Digital art isn't art, you just click a few buttons and the computer does it for you!
>>
>>2529506
>Get over yourself. People don't need an education to tell if shit is shit.
Made me reply
>>
>>2529511
>Digital art isn't art, you just click a few buttons and the computer does it for you!
Also made me reply
>>
File: 1365800684814.png (22 KB, 140x91) Image search: [Google]
1365800684814.png
22 KB, 140x91
>>2529506
How is it hypocrisy if I like some of it? I just agree that there's a lot of shitty contemporary art.
Maybe you like takeaway food. SO much takeaway food is shitty but there's also a lot of good takeaway places that you would happily recommend to someone. You're not a hypocrite for saying you like takeaway food.
>>
File: ernstfuchs_psalm69.jpg (346 KB, 1631x2325) Image search: [Google]
ernstfuchs_psalm69.jpg
346 KB, 1631x2325
>>2526614
>hurr hurr let's cherry-pick modern art
at least you're honest about your bias
>>
contemporary art is GOAT
>>
>>2529525
I don't know how people can write off an entire part of art history. I'm sorry that you're sour because you never found enjoyment from ANY modern artist. Life must be shit when you're that passionless.
>>
>>2526614
>I don't know the difference between modern art and contemporary art
>>
>>2529427
This is really cool.
>>
>>2529399
>Chapman brothers
>Good

I used to think this then I realised they basically turned a king's ransom out of what amount to edgy Warhammer 40k dioramas and bits of wood and rusty metal.

The final straw for me was when they went full retard and started defacing other artist's works. Destroying an original Hitler painting isn't cool, or clever, because that's something of historical value. Even worse, destroying an ORIGINAL GOYA by painting some puerile cartoon face over the top of it.

They're charlatans just like Hirst, they just happen to put a little more effort into their bullshit.
>>
>>2526614

With time I came to conclusion that majority of people who dislike and bash on contemporary art are simply uninformed pleb, ironic shitposters or really dense asspies.
>>
>>2530539
Its basquiat, one of my favourite expressionist/modern artists. If you like arty films I really suggest you watch Downtown 81, it's probably the least known film about Basquiat and I really loved it. It gives a lot of context to his work.

>>2530550
This is the kind of 'edgy' art that I don't think is revered anymore thankfully.

>>2530554
There's bashing on aspects of it, and there's writing it all off as 'rubbish' (without basis), which is unspeakably stupid.
>>
File: 1910_artistin.jpg (624 KB, 1244x1642) Image search: [Google]
1910_artistin.jpg
624 KB, 1244x1642
>>2530708
he's a neo-expressionist and a post-modern artist. expressionism and modernism came earlier.
>>
>>2530550
>because that's something of historical value
not really though. just because hitler touched it? you're talking about magical relics now, not objects of historical value.
>>
File: 1365853123644.jpg (51 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1365853123644.jpg
51 KB, 170x170
>>2530714
I'm aware, I didn't want to come off too pretentious.
>>
>>2530722
by using common and correct terminology?
>>
>>2526614
lemme guess you think romanticism and anime are the pinnacle of art huh pleb.
>>
>>2530708
I saw The Radiant Child and it was great; I'd never heard of him before, so it gave me some context to what I would otherwise just write off as scribbles. I love how he crosses things out to call attention to them.
>>
>>2532848
Yeah me too. I'm always drawn to how fascinating his life was, and how quickly his art rose to fame. I love reading accounts of people that met him, positive or negative.
People bash on his work so often, but I think that its very aesthetically pleasing really
>>
>>2530722
you're in a modern art thread - that boat has already sailed
>>
>>2530725

you ever listen to rostropovich? when i look at kollowitz's strokes i get the same kind of feeling when i listen to rostropovich. how he escalates during a movement. how she pushes lines around on the page. good stuff. I got to see some of her engravings upclose at a private appointment in a museum a couple times. worth it if you ever get the chance.

>>2532848

basquiat's drawings are actually quite clever. if you actually study his compositions you'll realize it's not "just scribbles" (like many assume at a glance) and that he has a great eye for placement. the scribble-look acts more like a filter on top of a well-composed picture than it does as a product of being an amateur.
>>
>>2529335
contemporary art is absolute bullshit.

Modernism is very interesting however. The concept of it is fantastic but all the art produced is simple, hideous, and uninteresting even though that was the point.

Problem is faggots like you have never had an original thought in all your lives and see modern art and think "omg so deep, and I CAN DO IT TOO WOAH COOL" It was a neat and original idea 90 years ago but we all kinda got over it.
>>
what kind of art does Ethan's hat belong to?
>>
>>2534243
Post-postmodernism I guess? It's using postmodernism to make fun of postmodernism.
>>
File: here come dada boi.jpg (91 KB, 666x960) Image search: [Google]
here come dada boi.jpg
91 KB, 666x960
what kind of art do memes fall under?
>>
>>2526614
The problem with modern art is that is just an excuse for money laundering

Am i wrong /ic/?
>>
>>2534436
thought this was legit dada at first glance
>>
>>2534440
>Am i wrong /ic/?
yes
>>
This thing is all of you guys are contemporary artists by definition.
>>
>>2534633
>implying anyone on /ic/ is an artist
shitposting is not an art
>>
>>2534635
Good point man. I agree.
>>
>>2534618
When Dali put effort into his shitposting, he really made it shine
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.