[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to start drawing. How strong do I need my computer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 300x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 300x346
I want to start drawing. How strong do I need my computer?
>>
>>2524857
use paper
>>
Depends on the hardware and software you want to use.

I use Clip Studio Paint Pro and a Wacom Bamboo Capture with a laptop that has 6gb RAM and a 2.5GHz i3 processer and it works fine
>>
>>2524857
>beginner to drawing starting digitally
>wasting your time in analysis paralysis looking to spec up your comp rather than just drawing on paper
s h i g g y
h
i
g
g
y

d i g g y
i
g
g
y
>>
Don't use anything AMD. That really is a general rule of thumb for any PC.
>>
>>2524857
the fact that youre asking this question means youre already behind in your mindset, good luck
>>
CPU: i3 or better core processor (i5 or i7 recc)
RAM: 4 GB (6+ GB strongly recommended)
HDD: (nothing should be on your scratch disk but the OS)
Wacom pen tablet (no chink products)
Monitor: 1280x1024 monitor resolution (32-bit color).
Video card: any dedicated GPU
>>
>>2524857
Use paper, and a 0.5mm mechanical pencil with 4B leads. Softer leads are more slippery and 4B is the softest you can get in 0.5mm, and mechanical pencil leads use polymer binder instead of clay, which is also more slippery. This will give you similar slipperiness to a drawing tablet so the skills will transfer easily. A HB/#2 woodcase pencil is more scratchy than a drawing tablet so you will have >>2523937 problem when you switch.
>>
>>2524891
This is a good start but you can get by with just 2 GB or RAM if you're really strapped. If you want to use Photoshop the most efficiently (gesture control for brushsize/opacity and hud color picker) any graphics card from the last five or six years would suffice.

It's not very intensive.
>>
Any big android tablet will do.
>>
File: Mullins kingdom.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3967) Image search: [Google]
Mullins kingdom.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3967
Dumb question OP but while we're at it I've always wondered what kind of monster you need to be able to paint something like Mullins or Ruan Jia
>>
>>2524891
>>2524919

I'm sorry, but that's the perfect way to cripple yourself. Photoshop CC is a real memory hog, not to mention Firefox/Chrome.

If you want to run your OS, smoothly run Photoshop, maybe have some browser open and whatnot, I would recommend at least 8 Gb, preferably 16Gb if you want to run some 3d or video software too.

I used to have 8Gb on my computer at work, and regularly hit 7,5 Gb and have things slow down considerably, especially when I was working on bigger files.
>>
DONT USE AMD ANYTHING
>>
>>2524880
>>2524948
what? why so much AMD hate? where's this coming from?
>>
Technically anything will work if you are drawing on paper. If you want to be a bit more fancy, get >>2524891 and an IPS monitor at 1080p minimum.
>>
>>2524891
>Monitor: 1280x1024

Do they even sell monitors at such a low resolution anymore? get 1080p minimum, it's less than $200 at this point.
>>
>>2524949
Their CPUs are substandard compared to intel, but their videocards are just fine.
>>
The best way to begin your drawing journey is to go to the nearest general goods store and buy yourself a blank sketch book and a pack of pencils. Why buy a $800+ computer when you can start with a simple $10 investment?

By the time you've gone through $800 of pencils and paper you should be pretty damn good at art, then and only then you can make that jump for digital art.
>>
>>2524926
Ruan Jia is trash and any one here who globs over his penis are trash.
>>
>>2525218
You know that a computer can be used for something other than just painting right?
>>
Strong enough to scratch into the surface of paper
>>
>>2525218

Tools not rules faggot.
>>
>>2525224
I've noticed that he's gotten a bit lazier recently, and he does get a bit more credit than he deserves, but he is most certainly not "trash". Just a reminder that being an edgy contrarian just for the sake of itself doesn't impress anyone.
>>
>>2525266

People over-glorify his work but it's just highly rendered animu desu desu, it's nothing impressive. His work isn't bad by any means, he just isn't as amazing as noobs think.
>>
>>2525287
>he just isn't as amazing as noobs think.
Most pros consider him one of the best painters on the planet.
>>
>>2525311

Oh yeah? Which post on IC did you hear that from?
>>
>>2525311
>Most pros consider him one of the best painters on the planet
I can see some people actually believing this
>>
>>2525346

I can't.
>>
you use paper
>>
>>2525311
Dumbest post I've seen yet on here.
>>
>>2525467

that post is niles
>>
>>2525311
lol
>>
>>2525067
Funny you say that. I bought an 800x600 monitor from this guy the other day for 30p
It's totally useless to me but I'm trying to figure out how to get a scart cable to fit in it so I can use it for my ps2
>>
>>2525069
>Their CPUs are substandard compared to intel

you know what else is substandard compared to intel? the fucking huge gap in price for a needless bit of extra power.
>>
>>2525224
I was pretty clearly referring to the processing power needed to make something that detailed, regardless of what you think of his art.
>>
>>2525647
Salty AMD user detected. I'll enjoy watching Polaris crash and burn.
>>
>>2524891
Don't use Vista.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.