[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand the "muh style" meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: style.jpg (748 KB, 1969x1962) Image search: [Google]
style.jpg
748 KB, 1969x1962
Doesn't having your own style make you more unique?
>>
>>2524817
It used to be a meme to make fun of shit tier artists who use "muh style" as excuse for objective flaws in their art, not conscious stylistic choices. Some elitists on /ic/ took that too far and act as if everything that isn't realism is "muh style".

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with having a recognizable style as long as your style isn't a cumulation of your own shortcomings and lack of knowledge.
>>
>>2524817
Everyone seems to have added ten to twenty years to Lucy's age
>>
>>2524817
that's a cool image
>>
>>2524817
I say "muh style" to mock artists who do not want to learn.

Styling your art I don't have a problem with, but using style as a crutch because your character's arms look broken is shit.
>>
>>2524820
Well said.
>>
File: 1463405186149.jpg (11 KB, 201x201) Image search: [Google]
1463405186149.jpg
11 KB, 201x201
this one gets me every time
>>
>>2524817
Which comics are the guy with the glasses and the sailor cigarette guy from, someone please, I feel like I should know all of them.
How much work do you think it would take to have your own iconic style. I don't think I'd ever get one but it would be awesome.
>>
>>2525057
>sailor cigarette guy

Corto Maltese, by Hugo Pratt. There's I think, one or two animated movies adapted.
>>
>>2524820

This. Examples are people who set out to "draw anime", copying from artists who came to their style through an actual understanding of art, and are only able to draw stiff, soulless creatures because of it.

Style is the maraschino cherry on top of a delicious sunday of fundamentals. But nobody sane is going to eat a bowl full of just maraschino cherries. That shit's gross.
>>
>>2524851
Most of the drawings of this pic doesn't even try to take in account what is the original character.

I like their styles but that image is fucking shit honestly. That's not how you stylizes an exciting character.
>>
>>2525071
one time at my granma's i ate a whole bowl of cherries cause she had a shit ton an that night i shit my soul out but i don't regret it at all, those cherries were delicious
>>
>>2524817
so wait a sec, hobbes /is/ garfield?
>>
File: Donald Man.jpg (28 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
Donald Man.jpg
28 KB, 192x192
>>2524932
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.