[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the future of art? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHV D7WYd2RU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled.png (283 KB, 853x477) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
283 KB, 853x477
Is this the future of art?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHVD7WYd2RU
>>
For once, yes. No, it's not replacing anything, but it'll be an amazing tool once it gets cheaper and more fleshed out.
>>
>>2523445
>and more fleshed out.
Agreed.
>>
>>2523447
seems impractical as fuck actually and unless monitors will be entirely replaced by VR headsets, people will view it as a flattened JPG anyway.

I guess without the Wii-fit wiggle shit, I could see artists changing to this instead of 3D programs though. It's basically the same thing just more intuitive for artists.
>>
>>2523445
Most probably not for painting, most probably yes for sculpting.
>>
File: 1448815358580.jpg (32 KB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
1448815358580.jpg
32 KB, 189x189
>>2523445
>grow up playing FPS on consoles with high sensitivity
>stop playing shooters for 6 years
>get a little nauseous watching this

what the hell happened
>>
File: 1441568979021.jpg (20 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1441568979021.jpg
20 KB, 334x393
>>2523472
>playing FPS on consoles
>>
>>2523445
I don't see people replacing paintings and sculptures in their homes with VR-headset(s).

Might be cool for 3D-sculpters and modellers in the videogame/movie Industry. However I don't think things like these will change art, but they'll definately add to it.
>>
As he said, seems really good for concept art and putting ideas down. Every studio will probably have one.
>>
>>2523472

>playing FPS on consoles

I suddenly felt tiredness and wrinkles on my face.
>>
>>2523488
I can only imagine how funny it would be to walk in on a bunch of future concept artists working.
>>
>>2523504
quick, someone make a concept art of future concept artists
>>
For concept artists this will be useful, but the final result isn't all that usable really.

They'd still end up building T-pose reference art for creating a final 3D model.
Especially with the need for topology.

Now, if it gets harnessed by software such as Metasequoia and actually efficiently converts the end result into basic geometric shapes with usable topology, that would be another story.

Think simple shapes in characters such as Mario or Yoshi, and people could use this to make rough low-poly game models quite quickly.
>>
>>2523445
This is crazy to think about. You can view a loose sketch of an object in full 3D space. That's nuts. Imagine being able to do "life" drawings of something that doesn't actually exist.
>>
>>2523993

VR is a millennial's chance to put down an idea, make it, and put it up to the marketplace and become a millionaire. It's such a young, booming industry you'd be stupid not to get on the train now and not later. It's the internet all over again.
>>
>>2524007
Except VR has a big barrier to entry. Smartphone applications were the millennial generation's easy ticket.
>>
VR is a gimmick
>>
>>2524483

Your face is a gimmick.
>>
I've played around with this. It's interesting and fun and you can make cool stuff but right now it's not particularly useful. I could see it being helpful as a perspective reference, you sketch out the pose you want and screencap it from where you want the picture to be from.

Aside form that, there's an interesting skill curve to it. You can't sketch as you would normally, you have to be very conscious of the angle of your hand and the direction of your stroke in 3D space. It really makes you work to place things correctly.

Right now it's little more than a novelty. Theoretically you could use this to create models for 3D printing or something but the strokes are so feathery and disconnected that right now there is no way to make a solid object. If we could get some 3D sculpting tools in this, possibly combined with the painting tools, then we could really get something that's both cool and useful. And if VR sticks around, which I imagine it will, sculpting tools will be inevitable. I'm looking forward to it, I always hated working on a 3D model using a 2D interface.
>>
i love tech but i don't see VR becoming viable until you're able to remove the silly wielding googles.
Basically, for me, its either the matrix or nothing.
fuck oculus rift and similar tech, i'm sure they're laying they groundwork for things to come but lets face it, we'll never have true VR in our lifetime unless quantum computers suddenly become a thing and we understand how the brain processes and feels information.
>>
>>2523603
imagine when we'll be able to do this in tandem with somebody else. an entire room of dudes working on just one peace at the same time

as for that to become widely used, there just need some video games, which can be played just with it, to get popular. or movies filmed with just one 360 camera placed in the middle of action
>>
>>2524617
be patient, one step at a time
>>
>>2524617
The VR you can get from just this is still pretty amazing. It looks silly just watching somebody play it, just somebody with a stupid thing strapped to their head walking around an empty room. Even if you're watching what they see on a screen it doesn't have the same effect. It just looks like a regular game. The Oculus is also not as cool because right now it doesn't have a good way to move around with it. They're working on it, but right now it's not as in-depth as the Vive.
When you're in it, it has a totally different feel. After a few minutes into it your brain starts to accept it as real. You move around virtual objects because you expect them to be there. You get surprised when you reach out to touch something and your hand moves right through it. You feel vertigo when you're standing on the edge of something really high up, looking at the ground before you. If something big sneaks up on your, you jump and flip out. Horror is much more effective in VR. Even your standard zombie game felt so much more intense because the fear reaction is so much stronger when the thing is actually next to you rather than on a screen in front of you.

That's not to say it doesn't have some problems, but even this first attempt at VR is really, really impressive. If you get a chance to try it out, I highly suggest you take it. You really have no idea what the experience is like from the outside. You have to actually be in it to feel it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.