[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you gotten to the point where you can look at your previous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
Have you gotten to the point where you can look at your previous work without being disgusted or embarrassed?
>>
File: 1442123459892.jpg (422 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
1442123459892.jpg
422 KB, 700x800
>>2521204
Everyday.
>>
Some old guy showed me a drawing of his and I literally made that face at it like the retard I am. He's just a nice old guy who was trying his best, worst of all is they weren't even really that bad, /ic/ just brainwashed me into getting that triggered whenever I see anything that isn't 100% Loomis. I feel fucking awful.
>>
>>2521204
>previous work
>>
File: 1459800747949.jpg (64 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459800747949.jpg
64 KB, 640x640
>today at live drawing session
>super focused, sweat while I draw, my hand hurts a lot but I keep drawing
>the spirit of michael hampton flows through me
>best gesture drawings I've ever created
>come back home, show them to mom
>"huh, they look... like some art deco shit I guess"
>>
>>2521204
If you had gotten done the fundamentals in the first place, everything wouldn't look like shit.
>>
I'm disgusted by everything and everyone
>>
>>2521216
/ic/ is a double edged sword
>>
I still get disgusted and embarrassed by my current work, though.
>>
>>2521216
This happened to me but the other way around, I was sketching on the bus and this nice old lady sat next to me and starting talking about drawing and showed me some of her stuff, she must have been around 60+ and her stuff was actually really nice; I wanted to talk to her a bit more but unfortunately I had to get off.

:(
>>
>>2521204
I never felt disgusted or embarassed by my previous work which allowed me to judge it objectively and improve without the burden of stress and depression you keep putting on yourselves.
>>
>>2521216
Wake up call to stop listening to /ic/'s shitposting, even if you somehow get better despite the complete lack of support and instruction, the attitude will prevent you from getting or holding any meaningful job or pratronage.
>>
Every year or two I can look back and be horrified at the shit I thought was alright and actually showed to other people. I like to think this is a sign I'm improving at a decent pace.
>>
>>2521791
Not where it matters.
>>
>>2521204
>Have you stagnated?
>>
>>2521764
People must love hanging out with you anon.
>>
>>2521255
ah yes, just simply get through the fundamentals
>>
>>2523997
Then comes the intermedientals and then the advancadentals and the the prodentals oh my.
>>
>>2521237
>michael hampton
Should have used vilppu
>>
Nope, I've steadily gotten worse since 2004.
>>
I have not felt satisfied with a drawing since I started about a year ago. The people above saying to learn the fundamentals make it sound like that is easy, but I have done near a thousand drawings now and will need thousands more to solidify my base.

Nothing seems less helpful than some one saying learn the fundamentals or read loomis. We all understand that is on our to do list but it is going to take a lot of time.
>>
>>2524462
it's funny to tell someone to read loomis because it takes a year of practise for your work to even show it
>>
>>2524482
Yeah if you know absolutely nothing
>>
>>2524462
I for one, did not make it sound like learning the fundamentals is easy, that is your own interpretation which goes to show a bit about yourself. Kind of pessimistic. Just my own interpretation, of course. The fundamentals are in no way easy. They are hard, boring and take time. But you need them. At least if you want to be a good artist.

The reason people continue to say to just learn the fundamentals is the core of a drawing. With fundamentals, you can do anything.

It may not seem helpful, but it is. By continuously working on the fundamentals, you'll improve, but you may not see that immediately. That is why you also have to have fun with the process. If it's just about the end result, why not just commission someone else to do it? If you aren't enjoying it, you might have to revaluate if you really want to draw. If you do, then just continue to put in the hours. You have to constantly be drawing every day even the weekends. Make sure to put in more than 3 completely focused hours if you really want to be a good artist. If it's just a hobby, then it's fine to do less, but know you'll improve slower.
>>
>Oh hey, it's one of my old folders from my old computer.
>I wonder what kind of drawings I saved from-
>Oh. Ooooh.
>>
I hadnt drawn anything since December when I was in accident, my hands are fine but I was really depressed. I thought I wasnt any good because any time I started drawing it was terrible but then I found a bunch of my still life studies and I liked what I saw I wanted to keep getting better.
>>
>>2525578
>vomiting
>>
I've got some older stuff I like. The problem is lately I can't look at my present work without being disgusted or embarrassed.
>>
>>2521204
Recently yes. The better I get the more bearable my drawings become
>>
>>2521216
Wow, you're an asshole.
>>
>>2521204
If you have gotten to this point then you have stagnated and not improved as an artist. You should always be striving for improvement, always.
>>
>>2525419
That is not what I am saying. Take this for an example. You are trying to solve a difficult math problem. You ask another student what you are doing wrong or could improve on. The other student says "you need to learn algebra".

That is what im talking about. It is like telling a sprinter to run faster. It is bad coaching. Instead pick out one thing in particular that stands out above all else, and provide an example of how they might correct this.

Do you see what I mean by needing more constructive criticism?
>>
>>2524462
One year of drawing is like not that much in the grand scheme of things I feel.
>>
>>2521204
I can't even look at my current work without being embarrassed.
>>
>>2525985
It might not be if you're a pro or something, but a fully dedicated year of drawing can be a lot to a beginner. If you drew like 8 hours a day for a year, that's 365 days, which when you add up all those hours amounts to 2,920 hour. That's huge progress. As long as you were completely focused and putting in the hard work, you will have improved greatly in comparison to the you in the beginning.
>>
>>2525945
Exactly, you don't need to be harsh on your old work but by definition if you are improving all you your old work should look relatively like shit.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.