[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to commission some art of things from older games i played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: question.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
I want to commission some art of things from older games i played when i was younger.

Where do i even start?
How much do i pay?
What if i want all the rights and the files use to create the work, will that increase the price?
What if the person i want to create the art has never done commissions before?
How do i make sure i don't get screwed? do i pay before or after? do i pay half now and half when it's made?
What if i can't get in contact with the artist or if they ask for too much money?
If i buy the art piece and all the rights to it, will those rights expire and will i be able to do whatever i want with them without crediting the artist?
What if the artist begins to share or sell the art piece without my permission?(assuming i got the rights to it)

as you can tell, i've never payed someone to make art specifically for me.
>>
anybody out there?
>>
>>2520517
>Where do i even start?
Either contact artists directly or post a job posting somewhere like on conceptart.org

>How much do i pay?
Depends on the artist and what you want them doing. A simple drawing with no background is cheaper than a complex illustration. And artists of different levels will have different rates. Some really cheap ones on Deviantart or tumblr might charge less than $100. Some better people might charge several hundred for something.

>What if i want all the rights and the files use to create the work, will that increase the price?
Generally you get that when you commission someone. Though if it is of things from old games then you might be stepping on the toes of companies if you try to then sell prints or something. Talk to the artist about usage rights.

>How do i make sure i don't get screwed? do i pay before or after? do i pay half now and half when it's made?
You can pay part up front and the rest at the end. Often the artist will give you a low res jpg of it and only give you the full file once you pay them.

>What if i can't get in contact with the artist or if they ask for too much money?
Then that's the end of it and find another artist.

>If i buy the art piece and all the rights to it, will those rights expire and will i be able to do whatever i want with them without crediting the artist?
What are you planning on doing? In general try to credit the artist. I don't think there are any rules that you have to credit them though. Just don't try to claim you made it or anything.

>What if the artist begins to share or sell the art piece without my permission?(assuming i got the rights to it)
Sounds like you might want to google around for some template contracts and figure this out specifically. Artists usually are left with enough rights that they can use it in their portfolio and for self promotion.
>>
File: 10mai115488.jpg (84 KB, 327x324) Image search: [Google]
10mai115488.jpg
84 KB, 327x324
>>2521549
thanks familion!!!, $2 has been credited to your 4chan premium account.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.