[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here attend an atelier, has anyone here. General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
Does anyone here attend an atelier, has anyone here. General opinions on the atelier education system itt.
>>
its great so worth it!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0MrnzBJ8M This video talks a lot about ateliers, and it's just good to watch
>>
I take classes here & there, but I love it. I have been with my teachers for years & I still try out new ones. Also, way cheaper with less bullshit.
>>
>>2518572
I would do, if there was any here
>>
>>2518609
Based Jeff. Does it count if I attend online?
>>
>>2518572
I'm of the opinion that ateliers can either be great or absolutely terrible. It really depends what you as the student want to learn. Most ateliers teach only a very narrow and specific skill set working towards a very narrow goal. So if that goal is what you want it is perfect, but if your goal is something else then an atelier can be awful.

I think many ateliers also teach things as "THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY" which is a dangerous mentality and can permanently hurt the development of artists.
>>
>>2518572

I went to one for two years (couldn't afford the third year).

Good experience overall. Great people, a LOT of digital painters and aspiring illustrators. Got me a pretty solid foundation in drawing from life.

I agree with this >>2518666

Ateliers, at least in tradition of Florence Academy of Art (Watt's atelier is very different) as many in Europe trace their lineage back to, won't do much for your imagination drawing skills. We did som Vilppu stuff but there wasn't any major emphasis on it. You'll get good at copying what you see and that's pretty much it. If all you want to do is to draw qt animu grills then it may not be your best bet.
Keep in mind that while life drawing skills reinforce figure drawing skills, the are two distinct disciplines and need equal practice. I met some people who could draw the most stunning charcoal portraits but their imagination drawings looked like what you see in the beginner threads on /ic/. If you have the time and finances to go to a good atelier, hell yeah you should do it. Just keep in mind that you need to drill your imagination drawing skills on your own time.
>>
>>2518572
Wow that asian has the most gorgeous cheekbones I've ever seen.
>>
>>2518681
Would you care share any of your work? Also which atelier did you go to?
>>
>>2518692
Yeah, I'd probably hook up with him before either of the girls. Speaking of the girls... yoga pants and owl sweater, and muumuu with stockings. Pretty much says it all. Don't go to this atelier, OP.
>>
>>2518572
Heard great things about them but there are literally zero where in my state so I could never attend.
>>
If you're looking to improve your technical abilities and observation skills you couldn't possibly make a better decision. I've been at one for nearly a year now and my artwork has improved immensely.
>>
>>2519191

I'm curious cause I am going to Watts this fall, can you post your before and after of your stuff?
>>
File: IMG_9734.png (913 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9734.png
913 KB, 640x1136
>>2519263
Sure
>>
>>2519289
Before is on the left and after is on the right just incase you couldn't figure it out
>>
>>2519289
>>2519297
Your portrait skills improved a ton, but the landscapes look about the same to me.
>>
>>2519263
>going to watts in person
Isn't it expensive? How are you doing it?
>>
>>2519400
It's not that expensive I don't think. As far as US schools go it is actually pretty cheap since it's not accredited. The area it is in is expensive though.
>>
>>2519402
Yep. I was looking into going. Price of classes is fine. But then when I looked at short term leases or hotels in the area, it became a bit too much. Not to mention the cost of the flight across the country. They need some shitty dorms next door that students can sleep in for cheap. The classes themselves are reasonable though.

The online version on the other hand... $100/month for temporary access to streaming some videos seems outrageous to me.
>>
>>2519414
From the students I have spoken to who attend(ed) Watts it seems pretty much all of them rent out a room in some house in the neighbourhood. I'm not sure how you go about finding that, but it will be much cheaper than a hostel or renting an entire house. Alternatively you can live further away and commute, but then you'd need to pay for a car.
>>
>>2518572
They are a little too rigid for my taste. But if that is the style that you want I say go for it. Have you ever seen the "creative" work that these people make using their newly learned skills? Its usually pretty cringe. The romanticization of the past just doesn't fit with today. Don't get me wrong, learning the fundamentals of painting and drawing are of the upmost importance. But these people remind me of the weird guy that walks around modern day in a tux with a tailcoat, a top hat and a monocle thinking he looks like a sophisticated gentleman
>>
>>2519289
Does Watts only focus on teaching oil painting, or does it also teach other mediums eg, gauche, watercolor etc.
>>
>>2519473
Yeah, that's what's appealing about Watts Atelier. They are more loose and illustration-based. Though, I still don't really like the "actual work" of any of the instructors. I just want to learn to quicksketch at Watt's level.
>>
File: Erik_Gist-large.jpg (407 KB, 648x1000) Image search: [Google]
Erik_Gist-large.jpg
407 KB, 648x1000
>>2519560
To each their own I guess.
Personally can't argue with an atelier whose instructors put out works like this

Erik Gist.
>>
Looking for good ateliers around melbourne vic
>>
File: EQII_Tears+of+Veeshan_Final01.jpg (348 KB, 1000x414) Image search: [Google]
EQII_Tears+of+Veeshan_Final01.jpg
348 KB, 1000x414
>>2519594
Lucas Graciano.
>>
Has anyone here done the online classes? I'm considering enrolling into them soon.
>>
>>2519299
Are you blind?
>>
>>2519289

How long were you in Watts?
>>
>>2518649
>Does it count if I attend online?

The online program is worth the $100 a month, but I still prefer New Masters Academy.
>>
>>2519289
Awesome progress anon.

>>2519299
>but the landscapes look about the same to
me.

The composition on the newer landscape is much more interesting, and better, than the older one.
>>
>>2519696
I did it for a month. It's worth the $100 but not for an extended period of time. The $19 a month for New Masters Academy is just as good because of the breadth of subjects and instructors in their online stuff.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.