[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using the other hand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: dat hand.jpg (348 KB, 2000x1429) Image search: [Google]
dat hand.jpg
348 KB, 2000x1429
I lost the ability to draw with my dominate hand.
How long will it take to learn with the other hand?
>>
Exactly seven hours and fifteen days.
>>
>>2518030
What happened?

It will probably take a few months to get decent with your non-dominant hand, and perhaps years to reach the exact same level as you had with your dominant hand.

Just be careful in how much you do right away as it is easier to get carpal tunnel or other repetitive stress injuries if you suddenly start using that hand a ton after barely using it for your whole life.
>>
>>2518035
>What happened?

Did the carpal tunnel exercises suggested in the beginner thread (videos and so far), only to have it completely screw up my arm. Taking psychical therapy and under going surgery, but my arm won't be the same. Trying to learn with my left, sucks to hear that it sounds like I'll have to start all over.
>>
>>2518034
underrated
>>
>>2518039
Wtf not sure what exercises you did but that sounds insane.

It'll take a while to build up the neural pathways for your left hand to be the same as your right was. But most of art is not physical so it shouldn't be a huge deal really. Your line quality will be a little shaky and worse for a while but that's all. You can try working larger and more from the shoulder to counteract this for the time being.

If it makes you feel better, Frazetta lost the use of his dominant hand after a stroke in like his 70's or something and he relearned to paint just fine with his other hand. It's certainly doable.
>>
>>2518039
wat. How the fuck did you manage to wreck your arm doing simple stretches?
>>
>>2518030
where is lefty when you need him
>>
>>2519534
most likely it was already wreck up and whatever he tried was just the cherry on top
>>
>>2519534
Some stretches, if you hold them too long or do them improperly, can actually harm your nerves. Sounds like OP may have had improper form sadly. :(

To OP, take care of yourself friend. As others have said, art is in your head, so the loss of your dominant hand, while a setback, isn't a total defeat. Give yourself some time and you'll be back.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.