[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I drop out of college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: fear.jpg (284 KB, 755x1058) Image search: [Google]
fear.jpg
284 KB, 755x1058
My college blows and none of my peers are interesting so I don't have any inspiration. I'm finishing up my third year. I'm being starved artistically.

This is my portfolio http://lurkersupreme1.deviantart.com/gallery/
>>
>>2517991
>http://lurkersupreme1.deviantart.com/gallery/

Why is your new work worse than your old work? What is this face collage shit even?
>>
>none of my peers are interesting

What does this mean? Do you think you're some kind of a special snowflake?
>>
>>2518002
Judging by the content of his gallery I would say he really does
>>
>>2518002
I go to a school in the middle of nowhere, great minds aren't here.

I'll probably drop out, I'm going to be a big deal
>>
>>2518016

I'd say that I'm very creative. I'm still figuring out what I want to do artistically.
>>
File: 1304028251478.jpg (27 KB, 571x460) Image search: [Google]
1304028251478.jpg
27 KB, 571x460
>calling a deviantart gallery "portfolio"
>>
>>2518023
Have to come up with a new name first because I have the second most common last name in the US.
>>
>>2517991
Drop out. I'm sure your classmates will thank you.
>>
>>2518036
Yeah I've pissed a lot of people off before, I have to be careful. Part of it's because they piss me off because they aren't even trying to progress creatively.
>>
>>2518041
Don't shoot up the school.
>>
File: 1452207999336.png (215 KB, 532x458) Image search: [Google]
1452207999336.png
215 KB, 532x458
>>2518017
>>2518041
Anon, were you dropped on the head as a baby?
>>
>>2518082
gross
>>
File: 1459991834998s.jpg (3 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1459991834998s.jpg
3 KB, 124x125
>>
>>2517991
how do you go from-
http://orig10.deviantart.net/0d1c/f/2015/317/a/2/life_drawing_by_lurkersupreme1-d9gkofu.jpg

to-
http://pre13.deviantart.net/b923/th/pre/i/2016/063/d/d/father_son_by_lurkersupreme1-d9tvdjb.jpg
>>
>>2518244
idk I guess I got bored?
>>
>>2518021
you're a mess
>>
i think you have an interesting vision (surrealism of now) and fundamentals to realize it but your ego is in the way
>>
also i genuinely think you might be schizoaffective
>>
>>2518343

Whys that?
>>
>>2518344
the faces in everything remind me of hyperactive pattern recognition and paranoia. it also feels sarcastic and almost hateful in a way. i feel like you have a very negative opinion of the internet.
>>
File: Restfulhobo.jpg (2 MB, 904x1024) Image search: [Google]
Restfulhobo.jpg
2 MB, 904x1024
>>2518347
>hyperactive pattern recognition

No it's like this, the faces are inspired by internet reaction images. They are symbols that create a mood that helps tell the narrative. So with this piece the reaction images create a calm mood which helps tell the story of this guy taking a nap. I actually love the internet
>>
>>2518352
i guess it is just the tone of the wworks, how everything looks over processed, like poor HDR, makes it extremely uncanny and i guess i can't imagine using those reaction images in traditional work that isn't either critical of them. seeing stock images of actors and memes expressing some kind of emotion plastered in the margins of a piece makes it feel like im being forced to empathize with that emotion. it's like i'm being taken hostage and it's extremely uncomfortable. i think you are going places with your work but i don't think anyone is going to read into your work with the same kind of genuity that you are creating it with which could be for the better.
>>
>>2518357

I want that feeling you get when you listen to Beethoven's grosse fuge, It's not very enjoyable but you can't deny how it makes you feel
>>
>>2518357
I need to address the aesthetics though, I prefer Warhol to Jasper Johns because his work is more visually appealing.
>>
File: ryan-trecartin-yet-79.jpg (63 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
ryan-trecartin-yet-79.jpg
63 KB, 280x180
>>2518375
aesthetic wise your work reminds me a lot of ryan trecartin if he were middle american. there is not much link between subject other than the internet but his frenetic digital collages share similarities with your methods.
>>
File: joshreames.jpg (141 KB, 608x792) Image search: [Google]
joshreames.jpg
141 KB, 608x792
-why do you use deviantart, use another website
-have you considered doing a statement so you don't have to repeat yourself. Consider why you make this stuff, the processes you use, and is this something you enjoy.
-I don't like your digital pieces, they don't have as good construction as your traditional work and are noticeably jarring cause they don't blend in well with your different layers so its becomes like a collage of 2 unrelated things
-meme faces as a subject in general is a problem as they're blatant and overbearing and annoying with what they convey.
-list your sizes
-The only artist I know of who uses a meme and isn't terrible is Josh Reames acrylic painting "face tat" they're interesting to look at because he creates digital illusion with paint so there's noticeable skill in recreating as well as internet based content and the meme was just for one painting. Look into him maybe.
>>
>>2518387
>ryan trecartin

Aesthetically yeah but I want to distance myself from postmodernism. It's passe. I'm not sure whats going to replace it yet though. I think a manifestation of its replacement is probably hiding away unnoticed in the interwebs as we speak though.
>>
>>2517991
>none of my peers are interesting so I don't have any inspiration.
Assuming you're right about everyone else (which you aren't), inspiration is your own responsibility.

>finishing up my third year.
Perfect time to drop out

>I'm being starved artistically.
You're studying art, right? Now's the time to study, experiment, and figure this stuff out.

Would getting a job (with no collage education) improve things? Between that and making art, I hope you still have time to hang out with all your interesting friends.
>>
>>2517991
Your traditional paintings in green-tones are quite noice.
>>
>>2517991
DO IT!
>>
>>2517991
>draw some mediocre figures
>shoop some faces in
>call it deep and meaningful
lol, your school has failed you
>>
>>2518762

If you think a school can make an original artist you're deluding yourself.
>>
>>2517991
Stop making all of these shitty threads Ryan
>>
>>2517991
OP, what you really need are friends, real life friends. Put your pride away and aknowledge other people.
You're not special. You're not the only one to feel what you feel, everybody has their own story and everyone thinks nobody can understand them. What changes is how you respond to your situation.
Make friends, have some drinks with them, share experiences. Maybe one day you will actually know them and you will start understanding yourself.

Back on your art, your old works were pretty cool, your newer ones are interesting but not the least visually pleasing and would probably appeal to a very niche audience. If you want to make a day job of your art, stop and go back to your old work, you have potential; if you just want to make it for your own sake keep going. And stop thinking you are going to be the next big hit, you could but you're probably in for disappointment by assuming that. Happiness is a good friend of humbleness.

Good luck.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.