[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning progression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: picasso_stravinsky-flip1.jpg (69 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
picasso_stravinsky-flip1.jpg
69 KB, 500x640
How much time should a beginner spend studying observational drawing before moving on to constructional drawing?
>>
>>2516047
Personally I think they should go hand in hand. Start practicing drawing geometrical shapes from different angles at the same time you try to draw from observation. If you sit and draw a cup, try to draw the rings that form it then erase them and darken the contours. Learning to think in 3D takes building up flexibility in your imagination and I think it's what keeps observational drawings from looking like flat copies.
>>
>>2516047

If by observational art you mean contour drawing then move immediately to constructing things to form. Understanding and breaking things down into shapes and shapes in perspective is much more important than getting the contour.
>>
You aren't copying a reference. You're referring to it.
>>
>>2516051
>>2516052
Thank you both for your insight. I noticed recently my drawing aren't very accurate (as in the likeness is often off, sort of like I'm symbol drawing with slightly more form.) So thinking accuracy is the problem I've spent some time doing more measured contour drawings to try to fix this. While it's made me a bit more accurate, it's also been flattening my drawings, and I feel like I could be getting more out of these exercises in general. I'll definately spend the majority of my study time on form and not flat copying.
>>
>>2516076
Good call. Figuring out how to wrap contours around a bunch of shapes is everything when it comes to drawing. Pic related is an exaggerated example but it illustrates the goal. You take a bunch of shapes and fit them together like a 3D puzzle, then you pick out the final lines just like how you could draw an outline around this sculpture and it would look like a cat. Eventually the forms you sculpt your drawing from will be representations of muscles and bones but just learning how to pile spheres/cubes/cones/etc onto each other to give the illusion of 3D form to your drawings will give you an amazing headstart on learning to draw complex interior anatomy. Goodspeed anon.
>>
>>2516082
Thanks for the advice bud. I'll get on that shit. We're all gonna make it
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.