[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Facial muscle help please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Image002.jpg (36 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
Image002.jpg
36 KB, 564x423
Can someone please tell me what muscle is the one I highlighted. I understand how the zygmatic minor and major muscles but for some reason I'm trying to understand the liver shape muscle.
>>
>>2512020
It's not a muscle. It's skin and fat that gets pulled together and bunches up when smiling or grimacing.
>>
do you have a name for it, or a place where I can research this into it more please?. Really like to know how to construct it.
>>
>>2512028
Grab a mirror and make faces in it and see how the forms change.

If you want to spend a bit of cash, then this book has lots of great information of expressions: https://www.amazon.ca/Artists-Complete-Guide-Facial-Expression/dp/0823004325

The drawings in it are not amazing (he's no Sargent or anything), but they are decent enough and get the point across well and the information is solid.
>>
Cheers, found a pdf have to download it when I'm back home. Can I ask the fat and skin sits on top of the muscles right?.
>>
>>2512052
The muscles of the face are sort of a special exception to things. In the rest of the body muscles are large things that fill out most of the mass of an area and give things form, then is covered in a layer of skin and fat. The muscles attach via tendons to multiple bones across a joint and contract to either extend of flex that joint. But in the face the muscles are tiny and have almost no form. They are like piece of paper. And they attach from bone to flesh, or flesh to flesh, rather than bone to bone. I think therefore it is more mixed, but mostly the skin and fat would still be on top? I'm not sure, and I don't think it matters for the surface form. 99% of the forms of the face are made up of the underlying bone structure and then the fat and skin on top. There are a couple people in the world that have a rare birth defect where their bodies can't produce any fat and you will see photos of their faces look very creepy and like a skeleton. They still have the same face muscles but the muscles themselves have no real form so they don't look like normal people. The only point in learning the muscles of the face are to understand their action and how that distorts the skin and fat (creating wrinkles and bulges).
>>
>>2512056
welp, that was one interesting google search
>>
>>2512056
also ty about the info about the face muscle, I didn't know they don't connect bone to bone, but it kind of make sense, when we blink or smile there is muscle movement involved but no bone movement
>>
>>2512020
kek
>>
>>2512092
Yeah most of the muscles in the face are small and just move skin, like to blink as you mentioned. The exception would be the temporalis and the masseter, which are used for jaw movement so we can chew, and they need a fair bit of strength for bite force so they are larger and connect bone to bone.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.