[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to go through the fundamentals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1458455937417.jpg (108 KB, 1000x951) Image search: [Google]
1458455937417.jpg
108 KB, 1000x951
how are you going through the fundamentals? are you going through them sequentially, i.e. spending a month + on perspective, then moving to figures, or are you going through them all at the same time switching subjects between the hours or days?

which do you think is the best way of going through them?
>>
1000 gestures every day
>>
I started with figures. Doing gestures, Loomis/Hampton/Hogarth, and studies. But I got a little bored with it and switched over to perspective. now idk whether to juggle them both at once or get back to figures until I reach my goals with them (which is to do 666 gestures of 30sec, 2min, 5min, and 10min each. And finish all the figure drawing books I have).
>>
Personally I think it's garbage to switch around multiple fundamentals at the same time because they follow a logical progression.

First comes perspective and form which are pretty much the same thing. If you learn to draw the basic forms in every perspective you pretty much have extremely solid drawing skills without ever drawing a single real subject.

Now here comes a fundamental that isn't a progression but that follows your other fundamentals troughout the entire fundamental learning process and beyond. That is the active visual library. I say active because there are two kind of visual libraries, the passive and the active one. The passive one is the one that allows you to imagine animals, humans and all kind of other things in your head without really knowing how to draw them. Many people get confused by this. How can I imagine them but not draw them? That's because the passive visual library is only for designing which is endgame. The active visual library is actually what matters now. It's the pure factual information you need to learn to exactly know what you're drawing, which is anatomy for example. You don't need to expand your visual library very much during your entire fundamental learning, but it sure makes fundamentals a very fun thing to do instead of the boring grinding it is without it.

So perspective and form are the mandatory first step, you can build on them beautifully. Visual library can be expanded later on but it's good to play with organic shapes at this stage and basically solidify your knowledge with your visual library. You can also start designing at this stage already since you can actually draw now. Designing needs a huge amount of active and passive visual library so it will take a huge time. Skip it if you want to draw in color as fast as possible.
>>
>>2511643
So remember, do figure drawing, gesture, anatomy and other active visual library skills either to supplement your perspective and forms or not at all at this stage. Of course really learning how to draw is all about perspective, forms and the visual library and you will really solidify your drawing skills if you do the entire package and it's also way more fun. But on the other hand you can always do it later.

The next step is light. Light is the fundamental skill that already includes color and value.

Rendering is basically form + color and value.
Many people get confused about rendering because they don't understand this basic concept.

Remember, rendering is the thing where you definitely need to expand your visual library. I would recommend learning at least 20 materials at this stage. Basically the most basic ones, metals, wood, water, skin etc.

After that you will be always able to learn further materials. Materials are purely active visual library.

So after light you will be able to learn pretty much everything. Now it's time to really extend your active visual library if you didn't so before.

This is super fun and you won't feel lost or frustrated at this point because you know how to draw and render.

From now on expanding your active visual library will be your bread and butter that you will do the entire rest of your drawing career but the good thing, you can alaways do it at any time of the next process, so don't feel forced to learn everything in this world, just learn what you really want to draw.

Now comes the final stage, the real endgame. Designing. With your active and passive visual library you will start to really dseign. This is the most fun and most rewarding part of art.

Your entire art career you will improve your fundamentals so don't stick forever to learning them seperately. If you feel you have a good understanding than move to the next step. But do it correctly or you will feel lost.
>>
>>2511643
>>2511644

You forgot about placing at the very beginning drawing in proportion and measuring. Also I wouldn't place things in that linear order. Gesture drawings are hard to do correctly and I would definitely start with color earlier.
>>
>>2511676
Nah, people just seperate the fundamentals way too much. Proportion and measuring comes naturally with correct perspective and active visual library.
>>
>>2511643
>>2511644

wow thanks for going so in depth. i started with figures and portraits, thinking "i don't need perspective since i'm not doing environments yet"
but since i started going through scott robertsons book, everything is getting more solid and my draftsmanship for figures has shot up really fast because of how drawing hard surfaces has no room for error in your lines.
>>
>>2511643
>>2511644

can you post your own progress for us?
>>
>>2511643
First comes straight lines.
Then open curves with one point of inflection.
Then open curves with multiple points of inflection.
Then circles.
Then ellipses.

But it's really boring grinding these strictly in order so I mix them up a bit. I have filled about 20 sides of A4 with lines (using shoulder drawing) and I am seeing some improvement already.
>>
>>2511751
I don't get why you would do this boring shit instead of just drawing something. Surprisingly most thing need you to draw lines, curves and elipses.
>>
>>2511754
not that anon but if all your focusing on is the line/curve/ellipse then all of your mental energy is going into perfecting those areas, you will get better. you really can't skip these steps and expect decent draftsmanship. these are the foundations of everything you draw.

but then you must be new, because you would have figured out that you don't get better just drawing things that are fun. good luck getting successful while ignoring the fundamentals
>>
>>2511818
This is the stupidest thing I read today. It doesn't need to be boring shit to work. If it's boring you fail as a student, lacking creativity and imagination to make the exercise fun. If I draw actual things with precise lines, elipses and curves I learn not only multiple things at the same time next to linework, but I also can have fun doing it. Real application is also way superior to mechanical grinding one aspect since I directly work on the things I eventually want to do and gain not only experience, but I also am able to memorize failures and successes way easier because the work actually sticks.

Lines improve trough just drawing. It's complete nonsense to grind this aspect individually.
>>
>>2511824
you're not gonna make it
>>
>>2511824
you need this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
>>
>>2511824
and how about you try the exercises >>2511849
. if you know your shit from drawing subject matters and not the basic forms first, you should be able to do them all perfectly in their most simple form right? yeah i thought not
>>
>>2511848
>>2511849
>>2511854
Don't jump on my balls chinese bruh. If you think you can only learn linework trough grinding the basic lines and elipses instead of just perfecting trough actually using them you have already no understanding of muscle memory.
>>
>>2511860
what? you refute your own argument by mentioning muscle memory. i'll let you figure out why your wrong because i'm tired of your shit
>>
>>2511610
>trying to sell your soul in exchange of skill
>>>/x/
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.