[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any good guides to color temperature in regards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 800x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 800x486
Does anyone have any good guides to color temperature in regards to painting and/or digital painting? I think this is the biggest problem with my color palettes when I paint: my color temperature is inconsistent. It doesn't help that I tend to color objectively rather than subjectively. Any tips?
>>
>>2509611

What do you mean with color objectively?
>>
>>2509611
Just trust your gut. It will be somewhat obvious if the temperature is wrong. You can lightly glaze over it to shift the temperature a bit, either by putting a warmer/cooler colour over it or putting a grey of the same value to reduce saturation.

Also post an example of you work. It is possible there is more going on than colour relativity.
>>
>>2509613
Objective color is the "true" color of an object, and subjective color is how it appears based on light sources and the colors surrounding the object.
>>
>>2509625

I think you mean local color. How a object looks under light is not really all that subjective.
>>
>>2509629
They probably mean relative colour. Your eye interprets colour differently than what surrounds it. You can colour pick from a painting and a "blue" object may be red in hue but looks blue in the context of the image.
>>
File: 1462298196096_mod.png (469 KB, 800x486) Image search: [Google]
1462298196096_mod.png
469 KB, 800x486
>>2509611
This is actually a useful effect if you don't take it to such ridiculous extreme as the example. Layer the two versions and try various subtle masks to emphasize different parts of the image with altered color temperature. You could do the same thing to correct excessive differences.

Darktable has excellent color temperature adjustment if you want to generate hotter/colder versions.
>>
File: unrelated holy shit.jpg (199 KB, 501x700) Image search: [Google]
unrelated holy shit.jpg
199 KB, 501x700
>>2509611
Paint plein air
Use photographs (these are really good for this but from life can have more vibrance etc)
Take classes, use pre-existing colour palletes, study masters

Biggest tip: stop painting from imagination
>>
>>2509752

Sauce? And no I couldn't find artist on google image search :(
>>
>>2509784

Sorry found it. Sasaoka Gungu
>>
>>2509796
Enjoy your fap.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.