[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to memorize objects? For example, if i'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 41d56ab39a232f79-KimJungGi_03.jpg (466 KB, 960x675) Image search: [Google]
41d56ab39a232f79-KimJungGi_03.jpg
466 KB, 960x675
What is the best way to memorize objects? For example, if i'd want to draw an accurate laptop, I would have to know what it consists of:

1) How many buttons does it have? (the QWERTY layout)
2) How does the screen connect to the keyboard/hardware part?
3) How many holes are on the side?

If you'd want to be more technical, you could memorize the structure of the internal components (motherboard, graphics card, ram etc.)

If you google "How to memorize objects", it shows you how to memorize the order of words (memory palace, peg system), but how do you memorize the specifics?
>>
>>2508053
The best way to memorize things is repetition. Draw that laptop several times from several angles, and also draw it from memory from those angles and others and check to see how accurate it is.

Also being able to break down complex forms into several simpler ones will help you be able to both remember things and rotate them in space easier.
>>
>>2508054

But i would like to memorize WITHOUT drawing with a reference first (sounds dumb, but possible). I would love to integrate the memory palace/peg memory system into drawing, but I'm just not sure how. (Riven Phoenix has a very similar approach, but I would like to make it better)
>>
>>2508070
>(sounds dumb, but possible)
So is skydiving without a parachute.

A basic exercise would be to study the reference then put the reference away and draw the subject from memory until you can no longer recall sufficient detail to continue. Repeat with a new study until you can keep the image of the reference in memory for as long as is needed to complete a study.

There are but a few books on the subject of memory drawing. Darren Rousar has a book and blog on the subject, for one.
>>
>>2508070
I think you start out by doing the method I mentioned of drawing it a lot. Do that with many objects and over time your ability to memorize things will improve and you can do it faster and with fewer repetitions. By then too your visual library will be a decent size and that makes memorizing new things even easier. KJG by now can just look at photos and memorize them, which is something he still claims to take an hour or two out of each day to do.

Personally I think it is better to just have a general idea of what things look like rather than specifics for everything. That way you can still set up scenes and just google for the final design specifics when you need to. It takes a LOT of time to build a visual library as complete as someone like KJG, and that's time that could be spent on other areas that you may find more important to your art (colour, storytelling, animation, whatever it is you do).
>>
>>2508070
you can't do a mental sketch and pick up on/memorise everything about that object, without first mastering being able to draw what is in front of you
>>
>>2508085
That is completely wrong. For example: if you've memorized the basic human head, it does NOT mean that you can draw portraits of people in front of you.
Drawing what you see and drawing from memory are completely different (drawing from memory is pretty much "accurate symbol drawing", while drawing what you see is... drawing hat you see)

I've seen people draw decent figures from mind, but when asked to draw a person from life, the figures look stiff and flat.
>>
>>2508097
>>2508085

It's way easier for me to draw from imagination than from life because I know the construction, I never draw "what I see"
>>
>>2508053
You draw that shit multiple times & from multiple angles.

No shortcuts, just hard work.
Sorry.
>>
Look for patterns in things and invent a lot of details. Im sure KJG does this, i dont think hes memorised every little part of an engine for example. He knows a lot of it but hell probably embelish things with random bit and bobs that fit in to a enginey mechanical pattern set.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.