[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to get into the animation industry (Storyboarding,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: networks.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
networks.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
How hard is it to get into the animation industry (Storyboarding, character design, layouts, etc) if you don't have any connections? I feel like those application websites where you dump your resume and portfolio link don't do shit for you.
>>
>>2505249

If you are truly good enough you work will speak for itself but connections won't hurt.
>>
>>2505251
>>2505249

Keeping in mind that all these people who say "get connections" seem to forget that people who are working in the industry are bombarded all day long by morons looking to use them. Unless you have something to offer them back or to distinguish yourself from the throngs of cock munchers who msg them (a.k.a. some sort of artistic skill) you're not going to get far. People know when you're just trying to stroke their dick to get something from them.

The only advice that actually matters is getting better at your craft. Keep working hard to improve and keep putting work out there on social media. You'll know when you're getting good because people will be taking interest in the stuff you show. No buisness is going to hire you in a ultra competitive field unless you have something to offer them that makes them more money than they pay you, no matter who you know. Once you get to a certain level (and it doesn't have to be godlike) and are constantly putting your shit out there people will want to talk with you and it'll be easier to make connections and actively go after work. It's something that takes time and you build up to over years, you don't just go out and target a few industry guys on facebook and cold msg them asking to hook you up.

No pro wants to be friends with some IC pleb level idiot just cuz yur a cool dud. They know plenty of cool duds already.
>>
>>2505249
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XIiLCHmxA

is this what u want to work for anon
>>
>>2505255

why the fuck is this 4 minutes long, why would someone ever do this. what the fuck is wrong with the world
>>
>>2505411
Gotta be hip and cool for the kids.
>>
>>2505249

It's much, much easier to get in if you have friends in the industry to vouch for you, but you can get in with just skill, you've just got to try harder.

It's a good idea to get to know people on the inside, not just because of recommendations, but because you can get the heads up on when studios are hiring.
>>
>>2505415
To be fair they did shit like this when I was a kid too it was just usually a lot shorter.

Remember when the animaniacs did the macarena? Yeah.
(Macadamia, look it up, it's actually a great parody but it still counts)
>>
>>2505255
civil rights movement was a mistake, not even joking here.
shoulda sent all the niggers to liberia
>>
>>2505966
>Blaming the melanin enriched for this
>Not the jews
>>
>>2505249
Hard.
And if you get, you won't get any creative freedom.
If you are more focused on creating rater than crafting a product, then anything but animator.
>A producer is the guy that tells the artist what to do and later makes all the changes, and then, when the cartoon's done, he takes all the credit!
>>
>>2505999
Having worked with producers, no. Producers deal with higher-ups/the people who hired the studio, they help handle the budget, they organize the schedule, get updates from all the artists and compile together their work to pass along the factory line, get revision notes from higher ups and pass it along to artists, and, depending on how small a studio is, can sometimes help negotiate to get work in the first place/get a bigger budget.

They're basically all the business and people side of an art job. They're the reason why the artists and directors don't need to waste hundreds of hours simply organizing things. What you're describing sounds like you've never been in the film/animation industry in the first place and are getting some bitter artist's lame nutshell description of one off of CartoonBrew.
>>
>>2505254
tl;dr git gud?
>>
>>2505996
jews are behind the civil rights movement
>>
File: 1459939842770.gif (36 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1459939842770.gif
36 KB, 267x200
Bump, this is great. I myself want to get into the industry not to say because I'm a part of it, or to make the shine, not for the credit. I have art, ideas, and a nuke of a story. I want to get in, concept and fine line to produce.
>>
>>2505249
Cal Arts > intern Cartoon Network/Adult Swim > Network and make friends like your career depends on it (it does) > Pitch your shitty idea for a show at end of internship > get rejected > get hired by fellow intern buddy as a storyboard artist on his show
>>
>>2506680
What if someone doesn't go to college, how do they get their foot in the door?
>>
>>2506689
Build the best god damn portfolio you possibly can, and ask for internships at every studio. And I do say ask, because they usually dont have a "apply here" on their websites.

Colleges like Cal Arts have programs in place that work like and elevator that attempt to get you placed with studios. Cartoon Network runs on 'slave labor' from Cal-Arts. But its a good relationship for everyone involved.
>>
>>2506013
Yup.

But that's pretty much the answer to most of the kind of questions. Sure, people who aren't good make it too but it's going to be easier to attract opportunities if you're a skilled artist. But no one wants to hear that because it means having to really work hard. Oh well.
>>
>>2507101
Not all skilled artists make it. In the case of animation, there is a factor of limited spots that make it really hard to get in.
>>
>>2505999
>quoting ren and stimpy
>>
>>2505249
In America, if you don't have any connection, you're not gonna get a decent job.

Why would they hire a random guy on the internet when they can have their friends from CalArts?
>>
File: drake.jpg (57 KB, 468x263) Image search: [Google]
drake.jpg
57 KB, 468x263
>>2505966
please go be racist on a /pol/ thread. talk art or gtfo
>>
>>2505249
take ralphs advice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WApcUBcVMos

and make animations for youtube, you could be ass and still make money
>>
>>2510234
Holy shit anon, this actually moved me. There's a lot to learn from this. Thank you.
>>
>>2506009
>What you're describing sounds like you've never been in the film/animation industry in the first place and are getting some bitter artist's lame nutshell description of one off of CartoonBrew.
Actually it's a quote from a John K cartoon but he's kind of delusional
>>
>>2510265
He can't even finish a 6 minute cartoon. He's the REASON studios hire producers!
>>
>>2505254
This. If there's one thing to remember, it's connections help get your foot in the door, but it's up to you to stay there. I just did a storyboard test for Family Guy because I know one of the producers, but I only did a "decent job" so obviously I wasn't hired. If you don't have connections, the biggest way to break in is by having an online following; recruiters nowadays spend hours just browsing tumblr and vimeo and stuff.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.