[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
observational artist trying to git gud
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 20150213_222818.jpg (2 MB, 2262x4252) Image search: [Google]
20150213_222818.jpg
2 MB, 2262x4252
So I've been doing observational drawings for most my late childhood to late teens. I absolutely hated them but thought that it doesn't cost much and it helps my art skills one way or another so I enrolled in a public high school that is dedicated to art and pic related is the portfolio I mustered from going for 4 years(I have done a lot of other stuff too but these are among the better works even if they aren't good to /ic/ standards)

I like drawing weeb shit, but almost none of my skills transfer over besides having decent understanding of anatomy and form and my mark making is more concise and intentional than a total beginner. Im going to be taking a supposedly highly intensive anatomy course soon, but what are some other ways I can use the skills I acquired to draw the shit I want?
>>
>>2504798
You want to draw anime? Then draw it? Copy some artists you like and draw it again from memory or from new viewpoints. Probably you are stuck in 2d observation mode from the looks of what you posted, so start learning some construction. Something like the Vilppu Drawing Manual will probably lead to enormous growth. Focus less on long slow renderings, and focus more on shorter things with solid perspective, construction, and gesture.
>>
>>2504798
well I think your observational skills are still not good enough, cause if you observed well, you would see that there is a question thread.

As for your question, you'll probably improve faster than the average people beginning with weeb shit
>>
>>2504801
at what point do i say im ready to start committing more time on detailed rendering? Im not opposed to doing studies and I do them often(maybe not a high enough frequency) but it seems really depressing and discouraging to just completely stop doing stuff someone wants to do and focus purely on studies.
>>
>>2504816
The early stages of learning will have a larger emphasis on studies than later since there are diminishing returns on certain exercises. But you should be doing a combination of both creative work and studies at any stage in your development. What proportion you do of each is up to you and will vary from person to person based on their goals.
>>
>>2504798
>risd portpholio.
>>
>>2505210
the class i took was very fine arts and illustration centric yes, we drew bikes because the teacher thought maybe some of us wanted to go to risd
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.