[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LEADHOLDER MEME THREAD.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: lh.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lh.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
This meme actually fucking works. I got one last week and I love it.

I didn't buy pic related. The one I got was a different and cheaper brand.
>>
>>2504250
>This meme
I don't think you know what a meme is.
>actually fucking works.
What were you expecting?
>I got one last week and I love it. I didn't buy pic related. The one I got was a different and cheaper brand.
You really don't need to make a thread to let us know.
>>
File: 20160429_131118_758.jpg (86 KB, 1176x664) Image search: [Google]
20160429_131118_758.jpg
86 KB, 1176x664
>>2504250
is this mars technico thread?
yeah i was feeling orgasm when i using lead sharpner
>>
Speaking of memes

I bought a Staedtler pencil sharpener and I could probably get a better and more consistent result if I tried sharpening pencils with my teeth (I wish I was joking)

I also bought a Staedtler lead pointer to complement my Staedtler lead holder and it absolutely wrecks the lead's shit like 3/4 of the time or more (I know to use the little length divots). Admittedly when it works it really works but I'm just having the shittiest luck with these things, like someone at Staedtler read some of the things I've said on the internet and is purposely sending me duds.

Do any of you brahs know what I might be doing wrong; particularly with the lead pointer? I really like the results when it does work correctly but more often than not it like, "digs in" to the lead and just snaps a piece off of its ass, and these leads are unfortunately expensive as well.
>>
File: GOPR0285.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0285.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
This is the fucking sky
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (98 KB, 747x581) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
98 KB, 747x581
Anyone know if pic related comes with led or if I gotta buy the pack along with it. Wanna test it out before I buy extra led
>>
>>2504265
>Do any of you brahs know what I might be doing wrong; particularly with the lead pointer?

You're almost certainly doing it wrong as it can be kind of tricky. Start with the dull hole to the right of the cleaning cotton. Hold the pointer in your non dominant hand and the holder in the other and focus on rotating the holder without applying much downward force at all.

The more you press the top of the holder towards the rim of the pointer the more the lead will be pressed onto the grinder. Put another way, the more vertical the holder the less it will press against the grinder. As it starts to grind less, apply more force while trying to rotate the end of the holder in as wide of a circle as possible. I never use the "sharp" hole because it makes it too sharp, and I can get much sharper than a 0.3mm mechanical just using the dull side.

>>2504284
Mine came with a single piece of 2H, which is 2 grades harder than a typical pencil, so I'd buy extra lead anyway. Jetpens has 6 Uni leads (which are great quality) for $3.30, but the more typical price of $1 per lead is still comparable to good drawing pencils.

The best replacement for the cleaning cotton things I've found is cigarette filters, by the way. You have to cut them to size, but a big bag of them is very cheap at any tobacco shop.
>>
>>2504304
Thanks for the advice.

Still doesn't redeem the traditional sharpener though, that thing has no excuse. I literally bought a $1 one at a hardware store and it works well, conversely the staedtler one has literally never worked. Really disappointing.
>>
>>2504265
try the koh i noor ones that have sharpener
>>
>>2504284
Just buy one at hobby lobby. You can get one for like 2 dollars with a coupon.
>>
>>2504284
Is the Staedtler Mars 780 the best reasonably priced option? I want something like the Lamy Safari of lead holders - something comfortable and solidly built but not too expensive.
>>
>>2504902
I have the rotring one.
It's fine.
>>
>>2505075
I have a Rotring 500 0.5mm mechanical pencil and it's awesome, but it seems there is no 2mm version of the 500. There's only the 300 with plastic grip, and the expensive 600, so it seems the Staedler is better.
>>
>>2504250
was it a meme?

It works, you know... Like a fucking pencil.
>>
>>2504270

Any real difference between the external sharpener and the in-built one?
>>
>>2504270
>>2505514
The barrel sharpener has two types of point.
>>
>>2504902
koh-i-noor is the cheapest
>>
>>2506788
I know, but I want a knurled metal grip like the Rotring 500.
>>
I like the Mars and all but having to constantly sharpen it and using the sharpener included with it really puts me off using i. Are there any alternatives having to buy the barrel sharpener? that shit is expensive.
>>
File: 58029[1].jpg (31 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
58029[1].jpg
31 KB, 600x400
SUPERIOR

weight
>>
>>2504902
It's a solid design that's been around for decades. I find mine extremely comfortable as the section with the metal knurling is right where I like to grip and it tapers towards the tip very slightly. The center of gravity with a stick of lead in is just where the plastic grip starts to flare out (the 'g' in Germany), and it feels exactly right. It's $6 on Amazon but I got mine at Office Depot and had them match Amazon's price.

>>2505514
Yes, the built-in one sharpens to a blunt point and takes far longer to use. You have to advance some lead, remove the sharpener from the end, sharpen the lead, clean off the lead on a rag or something, tap the sharpener a bunch of times to get the graphite out of it (which never gets it entirely clean, and it will leak graphite onto your drawing if you aren't careful), put the sharpener back on, and (optionally) push the lead back into the proper position in the holder.

All that's a pain in the ass and messy, and a rotary sharpener does gets all of this done cleanly and perfectly in 15 seconds. I held off buying one at first, but it's well worth the $7.

>>2506840
See above. Get the rotary sharpener. Your time is worth it. Office Depot/Max and plenty of stores will match Amazon's $7.
>>
>>2504250
I have one of those. It eventually compressed the nerves in my thumb, so I get this bad numbing electric shock when I roll the pencil in my hand accidentally.
>>
>>2507138
just with this tip of pencil? maybe you are holding in a strange way, try to find where you nerve is and avoid that area
>>
>>2507138
>It eventually compressed the nerves in my thumb
Stop gripping your pencils too tight
>>
The in-built lead sharpener is fucking stupidly and unecessarily difficult to clean. Is there any other way besides hitting it off the desk repeatedly or blowing into it (and getting it eveywhere)?
>>
>>2510542
Not that I know of. I've only ever placed a tissue on the desk, turned the sharpener upside down and tap it downwards a few times. Seems to do the job well.

What's infuriating is when you accidentally break the led in the damn thing, and you have to use xacto blades or needles to try to force the thing out.

I only use the built in sharpener when I'm out and about. The rotary sharpeners are worth it for home use. Easy, quick and no hassle.
>>
>>2504256
I think a meme is a "thing". So if it's a "thing", it is a meme. A regular thing is not a meme tho.
>>
>>2510542
>Is there any other way besides blowing into it (and getting it eveywhere)?

because of this I couldn't stop reading this >>2510627 with a straight face
>tap it downwards a few times. Seems to do the job well.
>>
I bought a Staedler 780 memeholder, and a pack of Koh-I-Noor 8B leads, which where the softest I could find. But they are no darker or smoother than 4B Pentel Ain Stein leads! I am happy with the leadholder itself, but I mostly wanted it so I could use 8B leads, and I am disappointed with 8B leads.
>>
>>2511686
I feel the same, I bought a leadholder to use with a 6b since I couldn't find anything higher than 2b on a mechanical pencil, sadly the 2b mechanical pencil I have is still darker than my 6b lead holder
>>
>>2511697
I found a technique to get darker blacks from the soft leads. First shade with the soft lead and then go over it with a HB. The HB spreads it out evenly so it fills in the tiny gaps caused by the grain of the paper. With this technique my 8B can be darker than the 4B 0.5mm.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.