[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does one become a children's book illustrator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: human v 2 _F.png (712 KB, 784x1000) Image search: [Google]
human v 2 _F.png
712 KB, 784x1000
how does one become a children's book illustrator?
>>
>>2504233
be friends with childrens book authors
be friends with the publisher
>>
>>2504245
where do i find them
>>
>>2504249
on the pedo boards
>>
Start networking on social media. Send in samples to publishers.
>>
>>2504233
can people adapt to live in a fucking volcano
>>
>>2504290
Yes.

Not all volcanos are active.
>>
>>2504290
why do you ask
>>
>>2504290

I would recommend staying away from fucking volcanoes. When they blow their load it's always a hot mess.
>>
>>2504233
Daymel, is that you?

There's millions of job postings for children's book illustrators, it's the easiest type of illustration to get into.

Apply to jobs, write to publishers, write to authors, write to illustration agencies, have a good and suitable portfolio. That's all, use the internet.
>>
>>2504245
>be friends with childrens book authors
this. It's actually pretty difficult to write good stories for kids
>>
>>2504531
More like it's difficult to get them published because SO many people want to get their kids book published. It's really damn competitive and honestly the only way to get your book looked at is if you have connections.
>>
>>2504481
>There's millions of job postings for children's book illustrators, it's the easiest type of illustration to get into.

I've seen interviews with CB artists on youtube saying just the opposite. There are tons of artists and not as many jobs. None of them described it as "easy" to get into or the "easiest". Not sure where you're getting your info from but citation needed. If you think about it most CB artists styles are simple and not as technical compared to the more realistic styles of art used in vidya, movies, and fantasy jobs. The skill ceiling is lower and it'd take far less time and practice to get to an acceptable level of work, thus more people will be qualified and seeking those jobs.

It also depends on what you mean of course by "get jobs", if you mean drawing a children's book for any two bit author who wants to self publish....yeah I'm sure anyone willing to do tons of work for no money can get right into that.

>>2504233
One of the interviews I remember seeing is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FX-XNc-RY

Some interesting information about the field even if the whole interview isn't about Children's books. It's obviously just one person's expearence. I remember her saying something to the effect that CB doesn't really have conventions like fantasy and games does and it's a more competitive field so making friends with other artists, writers or industry people can be challenging. OP's best bet is to illustrate your own books for practice and to beef up your portfolio, keep putting your work out there and send in stuff to publishers like anyone for any other type of art job.
>>
>>2504481
yea i figured , just curious if anyone in /ic had inside info
>>2504627
thanks for the info anon
>>
>>2504366
>:(
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.