[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who are examples of successful artists that started at a late
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 26
File: 16.jpg (217 KB, 1431x1900) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
217 KB, 1431x1900
who are examples of successful artists that started at a late age?

I mean, Is there any famous/decent artist that wasn't a fucking drug addict and started in their late 20s?

is there? or are they all prodigies like nowadays
>>
>>2502808
Didn't Min Yum start pretty late? But I'm not sure if that was him or some other Korean artist
>>
>>2502808
Brad Rigney was a hardcore alcoholic and I think only turned his life around and started art sometime in his late 20's or early 30's. El Coro was into the drug scene and turned his life around after a car of him and his friends ran over a cop, though he started in art I think in his early 20's or something, not late 20's. Min Yum started at 25. Craig Mullins only started painting at 23.

There are probably other examples but those are the ones I know off the top of my head. They are outliers for sure, but it can be done.
>>
>>2502808
would you quit your art if we say no,
No artist, starting in their late 20's, has made it
?
>>
>>2502808
>Get accepted to a private university as for animation
>Asked for my age
>"I'm 28"
>Everyone always replies with "28? Whoa, you're still young!"

I don't know what everyone means by this, but in short, age doesn't mean shit. The only thing I'm always told is that talented people learn the quickest but will never hit number 1.
>>
>>2502808

Will Terrell's old sketchbook videos from right after college show that he really wasn't very good, and now at 39 he works at Warner Bros.
>>
I suppose it depends what you mean as "start late"

My dad's coworker's daughter is one of the animation directors at disney now, but they didn't really start art "for real" until college, but they were still drawing for fun before then.

I suppose sycra counts as well, he's fairly famous, decent, and started late. Not particularly amazing, but he "made it"

If you're talking super duper famous, then who knows, because personally I don't care about that because they're rarely the real best of the best, and got famous for a variety of reasons. There's plenty of really good artists that start late and make a living in the art industry.
>>
>>2502861
He still seems terrible. Only art I can find by him are doodles and crude caricatures.
>>
>>2502834
no, I wouldn't. I'm only 20 and have a year under my belt but I just wanted to know, seeing young people at such a high level is hard sometimes. I really admire them though so It's not like I'm some kind of sick fuck or anything horrible like that.

It's just that I usually wonder "Will I ever?" and I won't know until I try but I really want to be able to be proud of something mine one day, something only I can create and share with .

>>2502845
>>2502861
thank you, your experiences and anecdotes mean a lot to me
>>
File: sad-pill.jpg (89 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sad-pill.jpg
89 KB, 600x600
>that feel when you are 27 and never draw before
>>
>>2502884
what are your dreams anon?
>>
>>2502884
you'll never get good if you don't start
>>
File: IMG_0666.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0666.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
27yo Ausfalian here
Only just getting in to animation.
Wish me luck m8s.
>>
>>2502845
I was looking at some requirements for animation programs 'cause I still haven't let it go and saw that they needed a bacherlor's degree to be accepted which was devastating 'cause it will take years for me to finish that thing. But fuck it, I'm 24 and if I don't screw around I could probably finish in a year or two. Thanks for posting your story, seriously.
>>
File: 04-12-16.jpg (106 KB, 760x608) Image search: [Google]
04-12-16.jpg
106 KB, 760x608
>>2502808
>>2502876
>I'm only 20 and have a year under my belt but I just wanted to know, seeing young people at such a high level is hard sometimes.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 20, and prior to three months ago the only drawings I ever made were classroom doodles. If you haven't already, I recommend reading Vilppu's Drawing Manuel. It's a great place to start.
https://mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA

As for our original question, don't worry about it. I know all too well how painful it is to see a great artist who is much younger than you... but it's unfair to compare yourself by age rather than experience. They've probably been drawing for years when you've only just started. And don't forget, you've got your whole life ahead of you--"when" you get there is less important than "IF" you get there, so stay determined and try to enjoy the journey.
>>
>>2502808

see

https://vimeo.com/84022735
https://vimeo.com/87448006
https://vimeo.com/151128399
>>
File: 32318849.jpg (28 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
32318849.jpg
28 KB, 300x354
>>2502808
It doesn't matter when you start, I can't stand people who don't do things because they're too old. What are you going to do instead? Just sit around and do nothing because "you're only going to die soon anyway". Christ, it's not skateboarding, art is one of the few things you can do well into old age, even up until death.
>>
>>2502874

idk, brah, he made a living doing comic books for years and like I said now works for Warner Bros, so he must be doing something right.
>>
You can start late but naturally your chances to get famous/goodare lower compared to someone who started from a younger age.
>>
>>2502884
Firez started at 28, he's 31 now.
>>
>>2503111
>successful
>>
>>2503111
hi Firez.
>>
>>2503111

What the fuck happened to him anyway? He doesn't go to /ic/ and started mixing music.
>>
>>2503210
His absence is proof of his success

Same with bagabosse
>>
>>2503215
His absence is proof he couldn't lie in the bed he made, you mean. Good riddance.
>>
>>2503210
If you visit his tumblr you will notice that drawing is still his focus, the music he posts is original, but scaled it down (compositions of 4 to 10 bars) in order to learn faster.
>>
>>2503256
What the actual fuck you must be firez
>>
>>2502808
I know that today's culture likes to pretend that once you age past 30 your life might as well hardly exist, and you're supposed to figure your life out in full by mid-20s. But even if you're in your 30s, you still have another 20-30 good years ahead of you. The only things that would stop that is a freak accident, being obese, or having a terminal condition.
>>
>>2503280
Pretty much this. I was 28 when I started, now 29, and at least where I live, you aren't really done working until near 70. So after 10 years as a working adult, I am supposed to have everything figured out and be where I want to be? The remaining 40 is just a waiting game for pension and death? Fuck off.

Boards like these have a majority of young people quite naturally, which warps perspective. To someone who's 18, 30 is ancient. In the grand scheme of things, unless you suffer from one of the mentioned things, 30 is going to be a bit more than a third of your life.

The conclusion is the same as always: If you want to do art, do art. There is no "too old" or "too late" except in your head. And in the words of /ic/ trolls and edgelords.
>>
>>2503210
GOOD.
>>
>>2503111
>Firez started at 28
Citation needed.
>>
>>2503111
what the fuck why are you talking like firez is good at drawing? he hasnt shown barely any improvement in the years of posting
>>
>>2503111
yummy
>>
>>2502845
What are the artists that you consider to be the "number 1"?
>>
based Gogh started 27
>>
>>2503111
all hail the king of shitty sameface females.
>>
>>2503074
>Christ, it's not skateboarding,

Ouch, Anon. I'm 20 and literally just started skateboarding last week. Are you saying I should quit?
>>
>>2503415
Probably, you look like a faggot.
>>2503303
To be fair there's also a huge financial difference between 18 and 30.
At 18 it's still fine to be a McDonald's worker and relying on your parents while you learn shit for a future job.
By 30 you're expected to be done and supporting yourself. This means far less time and energy for things like learning to draw.
>>
>late 20s is too old to start working on anything
This is a very strange mentality to me, I think it's really only common among young people. And the age where you're "too old" seems to change always, like 17 year olds think 22 years old is too old to start learning something, and 22 year olds think once you hit 25 or 28 or something you're "too old." If you're under 40, you're young enough. Even if you're over 40, it doesn't really matter.

For example, if it takes 5-10 years to "make it," does it matter what age you are? You can start at any time and expect to have many many years left in your life after the time you've made it. Most people live to be 70 or 80, if you're worried that 30 or 40 years isn't enough time to enjoy your competence as an artist I think that's a bit foolish.
>>
>>2503415
kek, yeah
>>
File: killyourself.jpg (27 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
killyourself.jpg
27 KB, 512x512
>>2503368
>he hasnt shown barely any
>>
It's a widely believe in Japan that you can only get good until a certain age.

In the anime industry, people often say that if you don't become an animator before 25, you will never be good.

Miyazaki said that an animator won't get better after 30.
>>
>>2503436
That's dumb
>>
>>2503438
Yeah, it's kinda dumb.
Many studios don't even accept a new animator that's older than 25.
>>
>>2503436
If that is true 70% of students are all fucked
>>
>>2503434
Whoah a gramatical error in a 4chan post, I should seriously commit suicide.
Maybe you should take your head out your ass, you worthless tripfag.
>>
>>2503436
Doesn't Gobelins also have a maximum age for admissions, as well? French and Japanese students have a leg up on every other country's students because their animation industry is 10 times bigger so they're probably grinding from younger ages.
>>
Look, the truth is, if you didn't start from an early age, you're behind by a LOT. You gotta make up for that gap in sheer work hours. If looking at art from younger people like Nile (he's pretty good) depresses you, just build a tougher skin and soldier through until you get to that level. Stop whining and start drawing.
>>
Brad rignney. Dave rapozza and w
Daniel warren come to mind also.
>>
>>2503608
I think Dave started reasonably young. You can find his art on CA from 2006, and while it was super shitty compared to his stuff now, he obviously had been drawing for a bit before then. He was 19 then, so he probably started drawing around 18 or so.
>>
File: 1460339066090.jpg (193 KB, 421x536) Image search: [Google]
1460339066090.jpg
193 KB, 421x536
>>2503436
That's bullshit. Over half the artistic prodigies on Earth created their masterpieces well after the age of 30.

That saying only rings true for Japs that work 60 hours a week and don't have enough time to study.
>>
I have a teacher at the moment that only seriously got into art and started working at Disney doing layout into his 30's or something. He's in his 50's(I think) now and a big storyboard guy. Solid draftsman, too. I can't remember if he was drawing on his own before then, though.
It's possible to get big when you're older, but i feel like a lot of people lose that youthful spark in their work that makes it stand out once you're out of your 20s.

>>2503497
Yeah, Gobelins has a cut off age of around 25, I believe? Or something around there.
>>
>>2503962
They may have only created the masterpieces after 30, but they began their artistic journey very early. You'd be hard pressed to find many masters who only picked up a pencil at 40.
>>
>>2504644
Master maybe, but you'd be surprised at how many very good artists start late.
I've seen people who picked it up in retirement homes get to really high levels.

I mean they can't really do shit with it other than draw naked old ladies, but it makes them happy and gets them laid.
>>
It's never about age, but about TIME.
How much time and effort you put into stuff is much more important than how old you are.

If you are a fucking 25 year old NEET that has never done anything other than go to school and get mediocre grades alongside your other NEET friends, you'll hardly get anything substantial in absolutly anything in your life before turning 30 - that is, if you start applying yourself to a craft and studying/working HARD right now.

OP's pic is from Mike azevedo. He is 23 years old, and had already worked for Valve, Riot, Blizzard and many other amazing companies. He seems young, but his experience is not the same of a common 23 year old. Mike started studying art from a VERY young age, and he exposed himself to criticism and the public eye at a very young age also. All that experience sums up, and you've got yourself a dude that not only is good at making art, but also great at showing it to other people and having a dialogue with them.

So, if you want to to something, start right now.
The best time to start was 10 years ago - but the best time to start with what you have, is right now.

You fucking motherfucking piece of shit you can't actually be this dumb I swear to god /ic/ is the dumbest board in this entire fucking website
>>
File: beginner thread dropout.jpg (458 KB, 979x734) Image search: [Google]
beginner thread dropout.jpg
458 KB, 979x734
We old guys like to tell ourselves that "youth is wasted on the young", but oftentimes that just isn't the case. I can't help but greatly admire some of these up and coming artists in their late teens/early 20s and am both embarrassed and regretful that it took me until my very late 20s to set aside my own fear of failure to chase proficiency in something I'd desired to. As I approach the finish of my first cast at the atelier I'd like to believe things could be worse, but it really is a crushing feeling to know that I'm 10-15 years behind where I could be and that I could potentially plateau at a lower level than I otherwise may have.

There's no use letting that kind of pitiful sentimentality keep you from your goals, though. It's no less a harmful mentality to languish in mistakes of the past than it was, in my case, to abandon art entirely for years at a time when I'd found that my first tepid attempts at copying the plates from a formal drawing book were less refined than those of the book's author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TASacP2SI
>>
do not waste time wallowing in self-pity over time lost, get up and draw
>>
>>2502876
>>2503074
>>2503280
>>2503303
>>2504904
>>2504920

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6DsWQBmrnU
>>
Georgia O'Keefe was eighty years old when she started painting, I guess that proves your point.
>>
>>2503329
This is known. He's doing pretty well for himself.
>>
>>2502826
Who the hell is Min Yum
>>
>>2505291
why don't you learn to use google?

bumskee
>>
>>2505293
Google is trying to monetize my memes
>>
>>2504920
>NIER OST
Best of tastes.

Have you seen the tribute album? It's pretty neat.
>>
File: junk004.jpg (2 MB, 1516x1167) Image search: [Google]
junk004.jpg
2 MB, 1516x1167
>>2502808
I'm 25 right now, I don't know if that's too young for your starting late dilemma but I only started drawing about 2 and a half years ago, before that I did a little sketching but I mostly did drugs. Right now I am just finishing up my first year at one of the top animation courses in Yurop and really perusing my dreams of becoming an animator at a big studio. I don't know if that's what you qualify as successful but if it's fame your after then I can assure you that that is just a byproduct of being really dedicated to your craft. I am by no means a prodigy, I just spent about a year and a half drawing constantly (pic is a page from a sketchbook of mine). I know I am not at a professional standard yet but I've seen the strides in my abilities getting to where I am now. If you really care about art then just sit down and draw, there is no magic button to press to get good. Good luck OP
>>
>>2503329

First page of his gallery is from 2013

http://firez-da.deviantart.com
>>
>>2505526
nice
>>
>>2505300
Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out. Definitely one of the better soundtracks I've heard in quite some time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84
>>
>>2505637
we're gonna make it friends
>>
>>2503436
In recent years many japanese animation and illustration schools like to show off student work in twitter (including independent freelancing animators that teach outside schools or workshops) and I'm pretty sure most people here would kill themselves if they see what the students there at 19-22 are capable of doing. it's fucking frightening. it might be because some studios don't accept new animators that are over a certain age for whatever reason so they HAVE to get good.

in bubunki (the one that was heavily sponsored by goodsmile) from last season the majority of the staff (animators, directors, producers, designers, background artists, cg artists) are within the age of 21 to 24.

also yes some art schools in japan has some weird maximum age limit, but I think some western art schools also have something similar
>>
>>2506503
Do you have any examples? I'm in the mood to be an hero at these prodigies.
>>
>>2503436
>>2506503
>weird age limitations and ageism
good thing this doesn't apply to korean animation studios though, at least the ones i'm aware of
>>
>>2502808
My friend started like 15 years after me and is already at my level. It's definitely possible. Some people pick up a pencil and can just be better than someone who practiced for years
>>
>>2506503
>>2506512

http://kiki223.tumblr.com/
This guy just turned 20 a few months ago.
He' started working as an animation director since he was 19.

He animated all of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kVPD35hHM
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/20559
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/19561
>>
>>2506801
daamn
>>
>>2503436
Most of the private animation university in japan have students who just started drawing in their late 20s and just getting into the industry in their early 30s. I'm guessing their fucked?
>>
>>2503404
I think it's just a figure of speech in this case. Kind of implying that someone with talent will accel quicker than usual, but won't be the one considered "amazing" in the long run. Or, that's my guess.
>>
File: Moomins.jpg (273 KB, 800x1008) Image search: [Google]
Moomins.jpg
273 KB, 800x1008
tove jansson didnt illustrate her fist moomin book until her early thirties
>>
>>2507236
but did she make it?
>>
>>2503074
I can't stand people who don't just do what they want to do with their lives for any reason. Fuck that shit. Follow your dreams and shit, or just shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>2507251
Well, she got her work turned into a cartoon and a theme park before she died, so I'd say she did.
>>
>>2507251
yeah, she made it
>>
File: ironweb.jpg (284 KB, 1500x701) Image search: [Google]
ironweb.jpg
284 KB, 1500x701
Ryan Lang started art school when he was 25.
>>
File: 07072013 all in one 2.jpg (216 KB, 1600x1011) Image search: [Google]
07072013 all in one 2.jpg
216 KB, 1600x1011
>>2502808

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdD3tRdunKU

Frank Tzang started at 27.

He said it took him 2 years to get decent so that would be 29. Now he is a lead character artist at naughty dog.

You guys have no excuses.
>>
File: shawn-barber-10.jpg (165 KB, 811x1080) Image search: [Google]
shawn-barber-10.jpg
165 KB, 811x1080
>>2502808
Shawn barber started art school at 25, wasn't taking it seriously until 27. Worked as an illustrater in his early 30s..started his fine arts career in his mid to late 30s..started tattooing in his late 30s early 40s.
>>
>>2507271
>B-but he's Asian
>>
>>2507271
Thanks for that info and that link, man.
>>
>>2503436
>>2506503

Guess that'd explain all the shit animes coming out.
>>
>>2507283

Asian are actually bad at 3D art. Hence, why I'm studying 3D character art and not concept art or illustration. Just look at the CG work in Japan it is total garbage.

Either way, Frank Tzang is the perfect example of a successful artist at a late age. Going to get kicked out of Art Institute at age 27 and two years later he is one of the best zbrush artist.

/ic/ is full of loser who make excuses or watch anime or masturbate all day.
>>
>>2503210
he left for reddit :(
>>
>>2503111

God if I'm not good by 25 and I somehow regress and draw like that I swear I'm suiciding.
>>
wait a sec

zenroxide already has 5k folowers on instagram
>>
Holy shit guys, you even make an 18 year old feel old.
>>
>>2507578
you are old.
The average 18 year old is 18 and a half. If you round it you're 19 years old. Now well all know the average 19 year old is 19 and a half. so you round that up. you're 20. But as you may be aware,...
>>
>>2507586
dropped my name
>>2507340
post work
>>
There are 20 year old shit-posters on /ic/ that think they're too old.
>>
>>2507638
yeah, it's sad and kinda funny
>>
>>2502808

Van Gogh started painting in his late 20s.
>>
>>2507655
He also was not successful at all during his life.
>>
>>2507658

Depends what success means to you. It will mean different things to different people. I'd say he was successful in terms of managing to develop his skill.
>>
>>2503111
really awkward perspective for arms. eyes are lined up although head's rotated. legs dont look like they belong there.
>>
>>2507693
and your still worse than him
>>
>>2503006
>requirements for animation programs... needed a bachelor's degree to be accepted
Fuck that shit. I'd rather do Masters or even a Technical degree/cert then go back to uni for three years.
>>
File: Amateurish.webm (386 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
Amateurish.webm
386 KB, 248x248
>>2506503
>I'm pretty sure most people here would kill themselves if they see what the students there at 19-22 are capable of doing. it's fucking frightening. This guy just turned 20 a few months ago. He started working as an animation director since he was 19.

Honestly, I was expecting better. I suspect he was hired as an animation director because of connections rather than skill (if not, anime standards really are in the shitter!).
He's got talent for sure, but he's no prodigy.
>>
>>2507744
You have to factor in the time constraints.
An animator in Japan usually has to finish 3-5 shots a day, or could be more for a low budget show like that one.

And yes, anime's standard is very low but even one the best animation schools still spend an entire year to shit out a short like this https://vimeo.com/164142074
>>
>>2507782
Damn, that is garbage. It's not even animated. It's just a slideshow.
>>
Once you become an adult you stop being a prodigy

The skill ceiling gets similar for everyone
>>
>>2507782
>even one the best animation schools still spend an entire year to shit out a short like this https://vimeo.com/164142074

Calart's yearly student animations are created by a single person, with (optional) music/sound help. Also, you picked a horrible example.
Check this shit out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc8_bWA7LI8
>>
>>2506801
>basic moe shit
how the fuck is that impressive??
>>
Well, we all die one day anyway. Certainly we won't survive long enough to reach any kind of major space-age, so we're either dying before the death of the sun, or going out with it. When it goes out, it's taking all of Earth, and everything on it with it.

So just draw. If it fucking sucks, it probably won't last forever, and nobody will care m8. If it's fucking fantastic, you'll gain some fame, and feel good about yourself. It's all temporary, so just do it while you can, end enjoy it while it's around.
>>
File: 1443667937440.png (59 KB, 749x613) Image search: [Google]
1443667937440.png
59 KB, 749x613
>>2506801
welp, that's it. time to say goodbye to this world.

>>2510267
no you don't
>>
File: 1434513710011.jpg (16 KB, 385x504) Image search: [Google]
1434513710011.jpg
16 KB, 385x504
sinixdesign started at around 19 with shitty anime stuff like this and then became a hermit for a while to get gud
>>
>>2510267
xD
>>
>>2502808
I think there was a scene in Shirobako that put it into perspective pretty well

it was the scene where the old animator was giving Ema advice and it boiled down to - you can always get better old age or not, but speed is something you will only have while you are young
>>
>>2505287
>eighty year old woman
>women in art
Into the trash you go.
>>
>>2512304
>implying women can't be good artists
Georgia O'Keeffe was shit though, I'll agree there.
>>
>>2512304
>being retarded by choice

shigglediggle
>>
>>2507655
>Van Gogh
He started drawing at age 27, He did his first paintings around 29.
>>
Depends on what you define "making it". Some of the professionals aren't even that good, to get a job in the art world you don't need to be the best, it's enough to just be good. Sometimes even decent will do. Hell, even really shitty artists can become famous if the thing (comic, game, whatever) is original and good enough in all the other ways than the art. Pure technical drawing ability is important sure, and will increase your chances of getting noticed, not to mention you'll be able to overall create better art, but it isn't everything. Work hard to improve, but don't forget why you're doing it in the first place. Have fun and draw what you love to draw, too.
>>
Feng Zhu said that the average age of his students are 26 and the ones that find themselves in their life before that are kinda "lucky" , think about that . And I think that majority of people here might dislike him for whatever reason.
>>
>>2514650

The average 20 year old has not got 40,000 sgd lying around.
>>
Vittorio Giardino
>>
>>2515467
>not being a richfag
Not gonna make it
>>
File: 5bb.jpg (77 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
5bb.jpg
77 KB, 540x960
I already 27
I Start with serious study of anatomy and other shit at 24
Is just start to study at good tecniques, study other good artist and stop to cry like baby about if you can or not make good art
just do it faggots
>>
File: retro1bb.jpg (105 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
retro1bb.jpg
105 KB, 600x850
>>2517707
This shit is from 2007... and don´t take care about anatomy at all, just fun with mechas, sci fi and ciber punk
>>
>>2505526
just study more about another artist you want to learn
>>
Shitty maths time:

Let's say you're an office worker slaving away in some cubicle doing 45 hours of work a week. Your boss gives you 1 week off every year.

There are 8760 hours or 52 weeks in a year.

8760 - 45 * (52 - 1) = 6465 hours outside of work.

You get 10 hours of sleep every day.

6465 - 365 * 10 = 2815 hours outside of sleep and work.

Over 2800 hours is almost 1/3 of a year. If your other commitments are low (no kids, low amount of bullshit to deal with) then
I see no real barrier towards getting professional with good discipline.

IMO the biggest barrier you will find is the amount of shit (Facebook, Netflix, Imgur, Videogames, etc) that will try to claim ownership of those hours.
>>
>>2517736
man, people procrastinating really slows the growth
>>
>>2517736
This shit is true...
some of this people shitposting are casual makers, or hobbist crap...

A pound of my friends (a hard work makers) tell this: don´t waste your time with videogames, don´t be lassy...
Draw every time you can do it,in the daily travel in bus, bathroom, before sleep, in your dinner time... and remember, study tecniques...
the last one: discipline
>>
>>2517751
Yes sir~
>>
>>2517764
Sorry, pic didn't seem to post
>>
>>2517736
I'm one of those people, and the one thing you've gotta keep in mind is that it isn't easy to immediately start drawing after you've been working all day, you still have to wind down a bit. Weekends are the only days where I get serious work done, not being mentally tired and being able to put all of your focus into drawing makes a big difference. But I agree that you can still do a shit load even if you work full time if you aren't lazy.
>>
Well I'm 27 and after 10 hard years of practice i'll be 37 with most of my life still in front of me.

I think people worry that as you take on more time hogging responsibilities in later age it leaves less time to get good. Raising a family and working a fulltime job while you're not yet good enough to get paid for the art must be pretty hard.

One important factor is your brains health as you age. If you never really make exercise and eating healthy a priority in your life, then by your 30s your brain is probably going to start showing signs of more difficulty learning and processing information from your poor health choices alone. That will definitely impede the time it takes for you to get good.
>>
>>2517803
He's not especially good. You can get there by 18 or 19 if you practice properly, in my opinion. Also enjoy your 30 day ban.
>>
>>2506801
....this shit isn´t even impressive.

If you feel that overpowered over these, then I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>2517828
It's quite good for a 20yo, but by no means is it some terrifying level. I too was a bit underwhelmed after how it was talked up.
>>
>>2504904
>I don't know what the word NEET means
Okay then
>>
>>2517894
He's using NEET correctly.
>>
>>2517950
If he's talking about school in past tense then yeah.
>>
>>2507264
how do people go to art school when it costs so much
>>
>>2517980
Rich families, student loans, or scholarships. Same way people go to any other school really.
>>
>>2518005
And some people are just really dumb, and then demand that the government pay for their mistakes.
>>
>>2518007
What do you mean?
>>
>>2518008
I mean some people will go deep into dept trying to get a worthless degree, then demand the government wipe their debt cuz muh education
>>
>>2518032
Why would the government wipe the debt? Does this really work? Do people seriously do this? I have never heard of this before.
>>
>>2518033
>Why would the government wipe the debt? Does this really work? Do people seriously do this? I have never heard of this before.
In europe they do
>>
>>2518033
I'm referring to people who demand it be a public policy.
>>
im quite ok dont try to develop as well as i should conflicted about the merits of art ... jumping instead in other areas ... still keep an arm moving on paper but i have gotten glimses of pure gold that seems to not move me or motivate me to work with more structure im 36 started at 5 ... i hate that i have not utilized that time to get at least stunning in realism. bleh
>>
>>2518652
>im 36
lol
>>
18 years old here and i still think i'm start too slow

I wish i start sooner
>>
>>2518718
>I wish i start sooner
We all do.
>>
>>2518720
How long has you been drawing, anon?
>>
File: daughterofhydra4[1].jpg (459 KB, 614x819) Image search: [Google]
daughterofhydra4[1].jpg
459 KB, 614x819
>>2507309
>asian actually bad at 3D art
Holy shit haha, keep telling yourself that. Google Simon Lee and Haruki-c, both are self-taught sculptors.

There's amazing artists in every race, but there will always be 10x more asians better than you simply because there are 10x more of them.
>>
>>2503111
Wtf is this, her features look copy pasted onto her face like a Mrs Potato Head. There's no structure or form here at all.
>>
>>2503111
Face is good, rest of body needs work.
>>
File: 1460919241849.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1460919241849.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>2518718
>18 years old here and i still think i'm start too slow
>>
>>2505526

> only started drawing at 22.5 years of age
> enrolled in top animation course in europe after just 1.5 years of work

How long did you practice? Did you have an itinerary or list of goals, or some sort of track of study?
>>
>>2502808
I'm 25 and what is this? 101
>Are you a woman?
If yes, yes, you're too old.
If no, go on...
Do you wanna live off your artwork?
If no, you're not too old.
If yes, go on...
>Do you want to get married?
If no, go on...
>Do you want to get children?
If you already have children, you're way too old.
If you don't have or want children, go on...
>Will not getting married and having children negatively impact your support net (family/friends).
If not, go on...
>Can you live without having sex without paying for it for at least half a decade, without having children with a woman in her prime, without your kinsmen's support and without time to develop new relationships?
If no, yes, you're too old.
If yes, go be an artist.
>>
>>2502988
What's that
>>
the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago

the second best time is now
>>
>27yo
>having to work 50+ hour week to live
>time to git gud is limited
If only I'd known sooner...
>>
>>2521864
Wouldn't the second best time be 19 years and 364 days ago?
>>
>>2520970
I drew a bit but I only really started trying to get better as an active, conscious thing then. I did not start from nothing and I did watch an awful lot of animation growing up so I'ld say my visual understanding of what I was doing was quite high, I found it very easy to see my mistakes and shortcomings and to try and strengthen them. What made me click that I was a bit shit was that I tried to make a comic and it just turned out crap so I tried to remake it a few times over the next few months and for the life of me I could not get it to look good at all. This set me off on trying to get better though I had no clear goal in mind except that I was not as good as I wanted to be (I'm still nowhere near as good as I want to be).

As far as study patterns I just watched a lot of animations and looked at a lot of animators I really admire (Milt Kahl is the best) and mentally dissected their work and tried out what they were doing and incorporated it into what I was. At the moment a lot of what I do for myself is gestural and sketchy and I'm playing with shapes and simple v complex
>>
>>2522226
lol

the 7300th best time is now
>>
>>2522200
heh i was in the same situation. ended up quitting and going neet in a third world country to git gud
>>
>>2522254
and did you?
>>
>>2522240

> I did not start from nothing

Ah, that makes a lot more sense now.
>>
>>2502808
One down-side I've seen to people starting at a really early age is that some of them get so into that whole anime-phase that they never end up really getting out.

I've also seen competent artist never getting out the whole, drawing some-what realistic portrait stage because they are so self-absorbed that they never bother to buy a book on how to draw proper form and perspective.
>>
>>2522254
>going neet in a third world country to git gud
Now that's dedication. I would have pretended to be retarded / clinically depressed and then leeched off "Obama bucks."
>>
>>2521784
>>Are you a woman?
>If yes, yes, you're too old.
explain
>>
>>2522503
Milk vs fine wine.
>>
>>2522531
what does that have to do with the arts craft?
>>
>>2503280
>once you age past 30 your life might as well hardly exist

I'm 31 and I when I passed 30 it was really liberating how you kind of slip into the big ocean of people and everyone stop paying so much attention to you and what you're doing. Also I started drawing this year.
>>
>most of people here start the same "Im sooo old...Im almost 20! damn is it too late? :("
Every time... No it's not too late. I wish i was 20.

Anyways...jokes aside.
Are there 30+ artists here?
Im 32 and im just starting "really finally" work for myself and for my art-related future.
I started few years ago but all i did is doing stuff for crappy mobile games. Im so tired of this.
Finally after i farmed all that skill i can start spending more time for drawing for myself.
I saved up some money so i will be able to work for 1 year without caring about paying rent. Will try to make animation portfolio, and update my old portfolio.
The thing is...if you do any mistake during your 30s you fucked up. It's the last 10 years you have in your entire life to dick around.
Then you will be 40. And if you will not be sucessful at that age...i don't even want to think about it...
>>
>>2523234

you know man, when you are 18 you say "shit, by the time i'm 28 i have to be successful, else i'm a total faliure". then you are 28 and you say "shit by the time i'm 38 i better be successful, else it's all over". i bet it won't be any different when you are 38.

take it easy brah.
>>
>>2523244
>comparing 18 and 30 difference
Are you like..literally retarded?
It's clearly visible you are child and live with your mommy.
>brah
Go back to your getto.
>>
>>2523254
I'm 31 and bruh has a point.
>>
>>2522550
I think I can believe this, sounds comforting
>>
>>2503111
I'm almost 23 and this doesn't look bad to me. Art was my life in highschool, but I think it might have been an emotional outlet and now that I'm in a better place it's much harder to start anything even though I really want to.

Should I even start up again?
>>
>>2523729
The 7300th best time to start is now.
>>
>>2520870
>>2507693
>>2503368

post work
>>
>>2503424
Mostly this.

The trouble is it does become harder to do it professionally, but it's a great skill to possess none the less and always worth the time it takes to develop.
>>
>>2522531
>falling for the fine wine meme
>>
File: uE3KFdB.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
uE3KFdB.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>2522550
that sounds awful
>>
>>2522550
so that's one of the advantages of becoming a wizard

I can't wait
>>
>>2523743
You're obviously a new artist. With some more experience, you will be able to see how awkward it looks.
>>
File: 1460119018431.jpg (1 MB, 1036x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460119018431.jpg
1 MB, 1036x1200
>>2502884
>tfw you are 21 and already has no future
>>
>>2517980
Maybe in America, it's pretty cheap/free in most european countries.
>>
>>2503436
100% bullshit that i won't even comment on
go at least watch shirobako nigger
>>
>>2503436
B A H I
A
H
I
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.