[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good design /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
Is this a good design /ic/?
>>
Reminds me of merc_wip
>>
>>2499994
Not particularly. It's fairly generic and not very functional or interesting. It's basically just medieval armor that has some glowy shit added to be sci-fi. That said, the quality of a design is largely based on its purpose--what is the project, who is the character, what is the world, what role does the design have, what problems are attempting to be solved by the design etc.--so without context it is hard to give an opinion on more than just the surface aspects of it.
>>
Are you the merc_wip guy?
>>
>>2499996
>merc_wip
Just the name makes me laugh already
>>2499999
nice quints
>>
>>2499999
His name is Dr. Santiago Sonora (Engineer), he fights holograms becuse a simulation machine went wrong and now the holograms are monsters and kill people
>>
>>2499999
quints of truth kek
>>
>>2499994
Looks like someone's bitch.
>>
>>2499994
No. That gun, which is an amalgam of like 3 guns patched together in the most obvious way, is a grotesquerie. The character is expressionless and it doesn't come off as a "gritty" character trait, it just looks dopey . He's not looking anywhere in particular even though he's uselessly holding his arm out as if he should be looking at the device on his forearm; he looks like he has lazy eye.

What this design does do on the other hand is once again expose what a joke photobashers are. They can create a crisp looking image (that was provided for them by the photographers and actual artists they steal from) but they are absolutely tasteless.
>>
>>2500005
I mean, the character's backstory is interesting enough but the design needs to be fleshed out. Keep working bud
>>
>>2499994
I'd say lose the beard, it looks really lame
>>
>>2500012
You know what? This post was a little overbearing on my part because I was criticizing the image itself (including the character's pose) rather than the character's design, as requested. So to backtrack a little, I'd say the gun definitely needs to be dealt with, but the character's overall design could be worse, generic though it may be. I think the blue glowing lights beneath the pectoral muscles detract from the design, though.
>>
File: 1461600648986.jpg (243 KB, 1346x468) Image search: [Google]
1461600648986.jpg
243 KB, 1346x468
>>2499994
Someone on /v/ screencapped this thread.
>>
>>2500023
why?
>>
>>2500023
>>2500028
Oh shit let me guess from
>>2500011
this comment I deduct that romero is making a new fps and THIS is the protagonist?
>>
File: 1451491984813.jpg (253 KB, 591x750) Image search: [Google]
1451491984813.jpg
253 KB, 591x750
>>2500028
>>
sick cyber gun dawg. does it kill people with the internet? also who is he fist bumping?! i gotta know! tell me more OP
>>
>>2500005
So basically he has this blue hologram gun to fight holograms ?
>>
>>2500219
maybe it's the newest in virtual reality technology and he's playing an FPS game.
>>
>>2500005
Tell me this is a Jem spinoff

It would redeem everything.
>>
his face looks like he's constipated

kind of reminds me of max payne
>>
Tad generic visually, but:
>>2500005

Sounds like a pretty cool backstory/story concept.
>>
I'm a total n00b and I don't know what I am doing, but I will still post my opinion because I am narcissistic like that. So:

1. Backstory is kinda cool, but design doesn't tell it.

2. Pose is static and face is expressionless. That's bad because it makes whole piece unremarkable and generic and it doesn't tell any story.

Simple fixes like making him look directly at holopad on his arm or shout to his comms would tell you if a guy is focused and competent or emotional dashing hero type.

We can push it even more extreme. Crouching, tense pose nearly automatically can put him as stealthy protagonist in space horror setting. Sliding while shooting - commando action hero. Touching screen on his arm while bend towards it - brainiac type.

3. Outfit. It doesn't say he is space engineer. As others said - it's knight's armor with sf shit strapped on it.

We need more. There's a nice idea there in the uniform - it forms sort of face with those 2 bright LEDs at the sides.

One could push that direction, make a suit a semi-alive second AI character. Make teeth out of pouches for tools. Give him "hair" made out of hanging cables to interface with electronic devices. Nose could be two slits for exhaust or atmospheric scan.

Generally - more ideas.

4. Personal details. Is his uniform/hair unkempt or kept? Give him a necklace or some jewelry that Latinos wear. Visors? Helmet with custom marks/text sprayed on it? Detail here.

5. Scott Robertson when giving a task to his student to design huntsman didn't end with designing huntsman only. He has a weapon, a mount, places he is travelling through, a prey/giants he hunt, there's a princess, a commander of her guard...

Actually piece in OP even if not supplemented by other drawings should maybe have a detail of an engineer in helmet or with other expression (head only) and a similar zoom to his personal item, likely some futuristic device that scans for holograms.
>>
>>2499994
it may have been done for initial thoughts then that explains to its simplicity. btw it
>>
File: 1460102485654.jpg (219 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
1460102485654.jpg
219 KB, 800x1154
Is that this guy's rival?
>>
>>2499994
It's generic and boring af. You'll have a great career in the video game industry some day.
>>
>>2499994

how can you talk about 'good design' outside of the context of the product (game/film/whatever) ?

it's such a stupid sci-fi-obsessed neckbeard thing to do. if you want to genuinely evaluate the design, you have to do so within context.
>>
File: download.png (409 KB, 1348x1763) Image search: [Google]
download.png
409 KB, 1348x1763
/v/ trying to steal our memes again. get on there lets we be robbed at our rightful place here.

>>>/v/335515104
>>
>>2500407
baka senpai it was actually /ic/ stealing /v/'s memes again
>>
>>2500407
LOOOL
>>
>>2500005
knowing that i'd say flesh out how his personality plays out in the story, if he's more escapist his armor would be way more fantasy as well as his weapons and if he is more serios it would probably be more military swat styled, if you have a concept that liteterally would let you write aspects of the characters personality into the design go ham and then simplify it rather than work conservatively.
knowing the gun can be kinda anything adding aspects relating to the personality coud be very telling in how he feels his role is in the whole story.
>>
everytime i think im getting better i come on here and get destroyed on the first page. humbling
>>
>>2500587
Oh shet are you the original artist? Didn't meant to mock you, I was just wondering what would /ic/ think about since Jhon Romero is literally a meme con man so I posted it.

But it still needs more work faggot.
>>
>>2500593
>>2500593
He isn't the original artist.
>>
>>2499994
flat and boring.
>>
>>2499999
>>2500000
Let's see what we got
>>
>>2500587

S-sorry man, I'm the guy who wrote >>2500306

I didn't mean to say that it is bad art, I was only trying to say that it is fairly generic, your description was much more interesting.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.