[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /ic/, I'm thinking of getting into digital drawing and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
So /ic/, I'm thinking of getting into digital drawing and I'm eyeing the new iPad Pro. Price is not an issue, however I've heard that the slightly newer 9.7" model has a True Tone display, whereas the 12.9" one doesn't.

Is True Tone a meme or is it actually good for drawing? I intend to draw with my iPad both indoors and outdoors, but the 9.7" model seems too small for me... Should I wait for the 12.9 model to be updated? Or is it worth buying already?

Please don't reply if you just intend to dissuade me from buying it, because I have quite a few reasons to buy it (not drawing alone). I just want the opinion of people who've tried it out or own it.
>>
The 12.9" has a bigger size to actually draw on it, where as the 9.7" is not only smaller but it even distorts the color if you turn on the true tone feature.

If going by the annual release date, the updated 12.9" should come out at the earliest in November. But it could also be in a year because the 9.7" just came out.
>>
>>2498748
I see. What do you mean about colour distortion though? Are you saying it's actually worse to draw with True Tone on?

I was under the impression that True Tone just made things easier on the eyes, which sounds like a good thing given how much time I already spend in front of a screen...

As for the update, I don't know what to do. I desperately want the 12.9 model but I also don't want to regret buying it a few months from now...
>>
bump

anyone facing the same quandary? i can't be the only one on the fence here...
>>
I'd honestly recommend getting an Intuos Pro (or if price REALLY isn't an issue and your sugardaddy is paying for it a cintiq or surface pro).

Using an iPad as anything more than a sketchbook is a little limiting, particularly on the software side. You can get a much better workflow with a tablet used with a desktop. In my opinion the ipad pen strikes me as something that's really nice if you already owned an ipad and sank $100 on the pen, but far less if you buy the ipad and the pen because you wanted to use it as a drawing implement.
>>
>>2498724
I don't want to stop you from getting an iPad if you want one, but why wouldn't you just get a graphics tablet? It's cheaper and better.
>>
Same as other anons suggest.
I hear good things about the cintiq companion (Works like a regular tablet too).
Cintiq's are made with drawing in mind when the iPad isn't.
I personally didn't go for the iPad because no proper software and drawing on glass.
But I also didn't go for the companion because I didn't want to wreck the screen with mundane tablet use (I got a 13hd in the end).
Do you plan on going for proffesional quality with the tablet or more as a sketchbook deal?
You'll have a hard time drawing prof quality without PS.
If your just learning and aren't "there yet" with your skills I'd suggest you take the bigger pad and save up for a companion in a few years (by then there will probably be better versions aswell).
I know the true tone is very tempting but I think a bigger surface will be a better bonus for drawing in the end.

Tl;dr If you aren't doing proffesional quality work yet get the bigger iPad and save for a cintiq companion for a few years when your ready to go proffesional.
>>
>>2498792
>>2498791
I've thought of it, but I want the iPad because as I said I don't own a tablet or laptop, and believe it or not it would actually almost be cost efficient to get that instead of a cheap laptop + tablet + graphics tablet. Also, I tried the Pencil in a store and it seriously surprised me with its quality. It feels like a pencil and draws (even on glass) like a pencil would, especially when you tilt it for shading.

>>2498799
thanks, this is actually sound advice because i'm "not there" yet, but hoping to improve quickly... However you don't think Apple will release an updated iPad Pro 12.9" in the near future, given the superior specs of the new 9.7" model?
>>
>>2498806
Wait so do you not own a desktop right now? Also do you really NEED a tablet? Usually a smart phone + decent laptop takes away the need for one.
>>
>>2498812
I own a desktop, but really all that is beside the point. The only thing making me hesitate to buy an iPad Pro is that I don't want to regret buying it because Apple released a newer version. Specifically, a 12.9" iPad Pro with the 9.7's true tone display and better cameras.
>>
Not OP but I'm interested in the implications of using an Android/Apple tablet as a main drawing device.
The main reason people say not to do this is because of software limitations, but how much does it actually limit you?

I mean, i'm sure there are a lot of good drawing apps and mobile versions of drawing software such as Photoshop, and while they probably are very "simplified" i can definitely see some of them aiming to be actual viable options for serious work and not just toys for doodling.
That's where i might be wrong, though. Any gadget gurus here can confirm if there are any mobile drawing apps on par with PC versions or at least good enough to make tablets a viable option?
>>
>>2498806
I'm the "not there yet" guy.
Personally I think they will, but how soon I don't know.
How about you try to find a Apple store near you and flat out tell them your undecided about a purchase and if you can test out the pad with the feature and without it.
I don't see them denying you and surely they have the pen and tablets on display for testing. Talk to an employee who's over 30 and seem to know their shit and flat out ask if they know of any such plans on updating the bigger tab.
Are you sure the true tone is not a hardware thing? As in in the actual physical specs? If it isn't theres a chance it will e updated (maybe with newer iOS versions) if not then it might be on the next pad model.

Tl;dr
Find an Apple store and talk to a knowledgable employee and let him help you and ask him about the update? Who knows he might just have an answer. Test both and decide for yourself if you want size over tone.
Just fyi people still manage to learn and git gud on both small tablets and tablets with shitty tones so you can do without both rly.
Go test them physically if you can
>>
>>2498854
Thanks, I actually have tested it out in store (which is the reason I want one), and the true tone thing is hardware-limited sadly. But the employees were not able to tell me when an update was coming. That's the issue for me...

The True Tone thing is pretty nice, but not necessarily for drawing, more so for reading etc. If it were just for that, I'd go ahead and buy a 12.9 now. But the smaller model even has far better cameras, which wouldn't matter if it weren't for the iPad Pro having only 1.2MP on the camera I intend to use for Skype. I mean really, 1.2MP compared to the 9.7's 4MP? That's taking the piss a little bit...

Thanks for helping out though, I think I'll pop in a store and try both models out again.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.