[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I have bad luck or is this the new norm? Last January I paid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (593 KB, 2203x2937) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
593 KB, 2203x2937
Do I have bad luck or is this the new norm?

Last January I paid in full for a single commission, the artist is still working on it but haven't finished and has been finishing other newer commissions in the mean time. Then in late December I asked another artist for something, paid him and have yet to see a sketch. He told me he was in the hospital for a fever in December.

What is the average work time for a single image with no background? Why does it take these people so long? They got their money, why can't I get my art? And I won't be mentioning names.
>>
No background? 2 weeks TOPS. Sounds like you got scammed or taken. You paid in full, nothing you can do now.
>>
You shouldn't have paid in full at the start.
>>
I'm sorry OP, that's not how it should be.
>>
>>2498573
This is why, if you're commissioning a professional artist, should set up a contract with a deadline. With consequences for when that deadline hasn't been met.

If you're not commissioning a professional, then you're always taking a risk :^)
>>
you should mention names. reputation matters. if you get scammed, the best thing you can do is provide proof and tell others.
>>
>>2498573
If you are commissioning relatively unknown artists, I hope you are setting up payment that is 50% upfront and 50% after delivery.. If you pay the whole price, chances are quite high of getting scammed. That goes both ways though. Like if you are an artist and stupid enough to agree to get paid only after you deliver your work.
>>
>>2498573
>I paid in full
your mistake
>>
>>2498573
>paying full at start
nigga
>>
>>2498618
>With consequences for when that deadline hasn't been met

How would that even work? DO IT BY THEN OR ELSE
>>2498632
Don't mention names, this board has enough HEY LET'S ATTACK X ARTIST
>>
>>2498796

>How would that even work? DO IT BY THEN OR ELSE
Do it by then or I don't fucking pay you? If you insisted I pay in advance, chargeback my credit card because you didn't give me what I paid for? Pretty simple shit.

>this board has enough HEY LET'S ATTACK X ARTIST

And if they're ripping people off and being irresponsible with their commissions, they have it coming. The least they can do is refund.

That said, I doubt /ic/ would waste any particular time attacking them. The people with the autism to harass artists save their effort for either skilled artists on this board that they can drive our or the usual pop artists, they rarely do it when its actually deserved.
>>
File: Nah.gif (588 KB, 880x1007) Image search: [Google]
Nah.gif
588 KB, 880x1007
I'm trying to become an artist of sorts. I draw, doodle and practice everyday. That being said I used to commission a ton of art I'd spend what some would consider more than enough for art commissions a month. Why did I commission so much art? Well, I never fapped to any of my commissions. I paid for commissions because in my head I had ideas, ideas I couldn't ever put on "paper" so I paid more talented people to create my ideas for me.

I've been burned on payments more than most people ever, I've been waiting for a commission I paid in full for nearly a year and a half. I talk to that artist weekly and he tells me he's busy and/or working on them but whenever I see the work he posts on his website it's always someone else's and never mine. I'm more than convinced over the last year and a half he's been taking more money and more commissions and finishing them without ever touching mine. Then I had an artist who'd I would send rough ideas and reference to, pay him the money and a week later he'd send me the finished commission the way he wanted it. He would never show me sketches for my approval or even look at my references. Then last summer I paid another art and he disappeared for 7 months and never answered any e-mails but he kept posting to his site. I finally heard back form him last month and he said he had back troubles all last year and that he'd send rough sketches that week. That was a month ago, he's since ignored me again.

The post of this rant is this, NEVER FUCKING EVER pay for a commission 100% up front unless the artist is a major or well-known artist like InCase where you know you'll get the work on time. Pay 50% after you get the rough sketch then 50% when the artist tells you it's finished. It's the best way for you and the artist.
>>
>>2498803
I'm with this guy. I don't understand why more people don't report artist to PayPal. If artists aren't finishing work on time let alone taking over a month this artists need to be reported.
>>
Never pay upfront.
>>
>>2498859
Usually the way I do it is finish the picture halfway and then ask for payment.

That way I can avoid paypal fees and there's no reason to not finish the commission (since the hard part is over) and the commissioner actually gets to see what they're in for.

then again, I've also got burned by commissioners who just drop contact after a picture is nearly done.

Lost a couple hundred on shit like that. But I guess in the end it's better to be burned as an artist a few times rather than tarnish your reputation burning someone else.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.