[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Medical Illustration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: thekids.png (1007 KB, 868x520) Image search: [Google]
thekids.png
1007 KB, 868x520
Anyone here studying to be a medical illustrator?

I have an associate's in art, and I'm almost done with a bachelor's in kinesiology.

I checked this out before, but dropped it for whatever reason, but now it's even more so attractive.

My skills are kinda shit. The only type of practice I've been getting since I finished my AA is doodling in the margins of my notes. I've gotten compliments on the doodles, but I havent tested myself much with depth, color and proportion.
The schools for MI are very competitive, they only allow about 16 people in a year... and I've seen some examples of grad work, they're pretty amazing and I feel like I could work my way up to that level with enough time.

They have you make a portfolio of about 20 pieces. From figure drawing to still life. I've got nothing.
I'm thinking of working on that while I finish up my last semester and get some hospital work afterward for funds.

So far I've been seeing a trend of accepted students studying at an art school for a year, Atelier's were mentioned. Anyone have any experience in that?
>>
>>2498529
Intuition says that they'll be looking at your Skills at copying.
I have no credibility but it seems like the program will he admitting you on academic record and skills at copying things.

Bassicly, they want someone who shows intelligence and shows the potential of becoming a human photocopier.

Don't focus on anything you're not great at already. If you've only got a limited skill set work with that skill set and make 20 pieces. Don't show off anything you can't do well. They're looking for your potential to be virtuosic, not your virtuosity.
>>
>>2498535
You seem confident for having no credibility, but it sounds like good advice.

From what I've seen, average admitted GPA is 3.78, which is pretty high compared to other medical area grad school GPAs, so you might be right that they focus on academics a bit more than set rendering experience.
>>
Don't they mostly use 3D for this nowadays?

Drawing medical illustrations by hand seems awfully retro to me and I would be deebly gonserned of it being a dead end career.
>>
File: doodshit.png (2 MB, 1186x756) Image search: [Google]
doodshit.png
2 MB, 1186x756
>>2498545
From the looks of some of the programs pages, I see a lot of other traditional mediums being used, but yes, they're also expanding upon 3D animation.

Looks to be pretty lucrative, with the ability to work in multiple sectors other than learning material, but also for legal cases.

Salary averages out at 70k, with freelancers having the potential to make over 200k. Seems to be pretty in need to me. Going to make some calls and emails next week to nearby professionals to see if this is the case though.

http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Career/87/Medical_Illustrator__Animator

http://ami.org/medical-illustration/enter-the-profession/careers
(Yes it's their official site, I've learned to take these with a grain of salt, and check out bls + tons other sites, too lazy to provide more)

Here's my doods for giggles, enjoy please. Crit hard, but know I did these while distracted and under a minute. I'll really have to change my work ethic.
>>
>>2498552
>>2498545
Here's the page of student work @ Johns Hopkins
>>
>>2498555
http://medicalart.johnshopkins.edu/students/#!
>>
It's a very competitive field and is very hard to get into.
>>2498552
Judging from your pic, you're going to need at least 2 years.
>>
>>2498529
It's competitive and also 3D orientated
Make of that what you will
>>
>>2498542
I say it with confidence because I've gone through a lot of music auditions & performances and I know how different audiences judge art.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.