[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you git gud at painting skin tones?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43 KB, 1213x757) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43 KB, 1213x757
How did you git gud at painting skin tones?
>>
File: skin coloring.jpg (367 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
skin coloring.jpg
367 KB, 900x1350
I'm assuming the picture is yours?

Anyway to summarize: people don't often use a wide enough range of tones when painting skin.

Highlights are not always warmer than the low lights, in fact usually highlights are COOLER and more grey than the actual color of the skin

There needs to be a wide variety of saturation as well.

The picture you've provided is very monotone and could use some more contrast in a few places.
>>
>>2492748
Makeup tutorials written for D-Wiymen.
>>
File: 1429780811234.png (872 KB, 468x2395) Image search: [Google]
1429780811234.png
872 KB, 468x2395
>>2492748
skin is reflective, and you can see the blood underneath in some areas. So you get reds around the eyes, nose, and cheeks. You get yellows around the upper mouth and forehead because there's more oils around there. You get blues around the jawline.
Study pictures of faces at different lightings, be conscious of the colors you use in the environment and learn where different parts of the face tend to be closer to a certain hue.
>>
Find a photo with similar skin tones to what you want to paint and just color-pick it. You'll absorb all the necessary info about what makes skin look good vs what makes it look like plastic over time, and in the meantime, this method is very easy and your work will look better.

Anything having to do with color is easy. Just color pick from photos until it clicks in your brain. Of course, studying color theory and how light works and painting from life will make it click sooner.

I used to make this stuff way harder than it needs to be, too. Then I listened to some video tutorial by I think it was Dylan Cole, who said to just steal colors, and it was so obvious and easy that I finally let myself start doing that. My colored shit has gotten so much better since then.
>>
>>2493094
>studying color theory
Any recommended literature for this?
>>
>>2493069
I actually picked a result from Google image search, but your feedback is valuable, thanks
>>
>>2493094
dude, that's cheating.
kr0n and Nadar are more honest than that in comparison.
my color-picked studies are x100 better than regular, but the fact they are made by the same person means something isn't right
if what you say is true, would you give an a-ok to steal colors from other artists?
>>
>>2493609
>color stealing

My sides
>>
>>2493628
>>
>>2493628>>2493609

>>2493632
aint nobody stealing my rare ultramarine yellow
>>
By watching Istebrak only to masturbate to her voice.
>>
>>2493628
Is that actually a bad thing though? Is it dishonest? Can people get mad at you for it?
>>
>>2493628
As if pallets can ever actually be stolen
>>
>>2492748
nice art OP
>>
>>2493576
look up Joseph Albers' writings/exercises on color

http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs092/VA10/HTML/AlbersExplanation.html
>>
>>2493576
huevaluechroma
handprint
Gurney
Itten
Munsell
>>
>>2493583
Lowkey mad about this. Show your work so you can actually get some correct advice.
>>
>>2494323
It's disrespectful at most if you are profiting off of it.
>>
File: 1457730907167.jpg (27 KB, 495x469) Image search: [Google]
1457730907167.jpg
27 KB, 495x469
>>2493091
Skins can be reflective m8, 3D animators took such a long time to make skin absorb light so that it looked realistic.
>>
>>2493091
>That little girl's beard stubble
>>
>>2493609
As a colorblind painter, colorpicking is the only option sometimes, it's nothing to be ashamed of
>>
>>2493609
>accidentally uses the same colors as another artist
>gets called out for color stealing and some fag on /ic/ makes an elaborate comparison of the colors you've stolen vs the original
>artistic career ruinned
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.