[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going from Pencil to Digital
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1sttabletdrawing.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1sttabletdrawing.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
I'm an older cartoonist who learned to draw with pencil, paper, and a used copy of "How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way" (which admittedly resulted in some bad habits) and I'm looking to try and upgrade to the digital stuff most artists do these days. Thing is, it's like trying to teach myself how to walk with my arms instead of my legs, y'know? It feels like I'm trying to use a part of my brain that's never been involved with the process before,, like I'm drawing with my off-hand, and it keeps frustrating me.

Is there any hope for me (I know, "Nope"), and does anyone have any tips or recommendations they can give? I have a Bamboo tablet and a cracked copy of Paint Shop Pro (normally used for scanning my sketchbook) that I'm dying to learn how to actually USE.
>>
>>2490968
Since you can already draw, it's more of a transitional learning curve. You get how to do things, you're just having to adjust the medium.

It's like learning spanish but already knowing French.

Just keep at it; once you get a hang of the adjusted motions, you'll do fine.

Alternatively, get a tablet with a screen to minimize transitional loss.
>>
>>2490970
>Alternatively, get a tablet with a screen to minimize transitional loss.

I've been looking into that, actually. Do you have any recommendations, especially in terms of price?
>>
>>2490975
I haven't purchased a tablet beyond my first that I got as a christmas gift years back, so I can't help you too much there. Check out this thread:

>>2480440
>>
I am in the same situation as you, but I am using a Wacom Intuos Cth680l Medium I bought last week

The transition isnt that fast but I could notice how what I did was better than some works people who started with digital did before (I watched lots of speedpains and tutorials too)

As long as you know how to draw the traditional way, try to treat it like just another paper and adapt slowly. I dont think I am of much help but that is what I do
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.