[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NYC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: nyc.jpg (3 MB, 5138x3425) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
3 MB, 5138x3425
Anybody living here as an artist or know someone who is? I'm a poor motherfucker from Kansas with little career prospects atm but I want to find other people who want to discuss the future of art/whats coming after post modernism. I figure thats the best place to go. Don't know how to get there tho
>>
>>2488609
Yes I lived there for a couple of years, if you want to succeed you have to be very sociable, politely aggressive, active, and be willing to be a bitch for a while. If you don't know how to get there and really want to, you just gotta sacrifice stuff, find couches whatever
>>
>>2488611
I have the money to make a trip this summer I figure I'll go and see what happens. I want to find a circle of artists, intellectuals, poets, etc. badly, any pointers on how to find those types of people while I'm there. I was thinking I'd book a hostel although they're a lot pricier than they are in Europe. Still nothing like a hotel
>>
>>2488609

Too expensive, go to detroit or montreal or somwhere creative people are but the cost of living won't force you to live with 12 Dominican roommates.
>>
>>2488626
Whats the Detroit art scene like?
>>
File: USATSI_9163071-565x369.jpg (53 KB, 565x369) Image search: [Google]
USATSI_9163071-565x369.jpg
53 KB, 565x369
I live in New York City and have an apartment there but go to school update. I got to give you a warning, the city is FUCKING EXPENSIVE AS FUCK. Granted you can have fun in the city everyday for free minus subway fess. Food prices are overblown unless you go to a upscale place. You can easily have lunch or dinner for $4 eating from street vendors.

The expensive part is the fucking living. You don't want to know how much I pay for a single studio apartment in Manhattan but even a single studio is say Brooklyn is minimum 800-900 a month. Also New York taxes are the fucking worst maybe in the country.

Rangers are good, Mets are great, the Knick are a fucking embarrassing joke and fuck the Yankees.
>>
>>2488626
>>2488637
DONT EVER MOVE TO DETRIOT. That's city is 3 years away from being legit dead.
>>
>>2488645
>I'll have to find an attic or a grandmas basement or something like that. I'll have an arts degree from a small school and some money, zero debt though which is a killer for most art grads. I'd be willing to live anywhere, right now I live in a shitty college dorm with a random roommate with almost no physical possessions so it won't be a huge adjustment. Is it possible to have a shit job and live there if your willing to sacrifice?
>>
>>2488753
Yes it's very possible.

1. I don't know why you're green texting...
2. Just know, most of the money you make will go towards rent and you may have to work 2 jobs if you want any kind of extra spending money. You also gotta budget like crazy.
>>
>>2488609
I have a day job and do art on the side. It's not ideal by any means, but I feel like it's only one of a relatively small selection of ways that you can succeed and afford NYC.

As others have said, many things in NYC are negotiable, but I'd argue that rent is not. You might be able to find a room for less than $1k if you live in the outer boroughs, but it will take some ingenuity, and the room and living situation you find may not be conducive to making art. If you have a health issue or other personal crisis that requires money, you could be out on your ass fairly quickly. The artists (as in, people who do art exclusively as a career) I know made it before they came here, and had at least a few steady gigs that they could rely on before taking on the burden of rent in the city. Or they were students here and found jobs through school, and then found some way to make it work. Or, they had some other source of income (yes, like parents) to float them for a year or two, or at least help out. Or, they struggled very hard for a few years and through a combination of hard work and luck, they figured it out. (Or, they moved here 10-20 years ago when it was more affordable and stuck like glue to their rent-controlled/rent-stabilized apartments...or, whatever.)

I just feel like with the internet being what it is, you might want to start out building your brand (yes, horrible language, but) before you get here. Work on your skills in some other place that is more affordable and then decide whether you want to move to NYC after you have some money in the bank and some good connections and a better portfolio.

Then again, that's not what I did, and others have done it differently. Ultimately you have to figure out what's right for you. But I'm just saying that NYC isn't the ONLY place to begin your life as an artist, and you may be disappointed when you come here to find that the New York City you read about in books no longer exists.
>>
File: mr-met-heathy-snacks.jpg (57 KB, 635x443) Image search: [Google]
mr-met-heathy-snacks.jpg
57 KB, 635x443
>>2488645
>I live in New York City and have an apartment there but go to school UPSTATE

There fixed it, now it makes sense.
>>2488865
>>2488865
This. Even living in the outer boroughs is expensive and some of the subways rides can be 30-40 minute rides depending how far you are away say like Astoria, Queen for example.

Queen is nice and somewhat "quiet" compared to the rest of the boroughs.

Brooklyn is now hipster central and prices are starting to rise on rent but you can still find something cheap.

Harlem is cheap and on the up and up but depending where you live it can be a little shady.

Bronx is a mixed bag and like HArlem can have some shady spots.

Staten Island, honestly don't know too much about prices there. I honestly never go there that much.

Manhattan, again speaking as someone who lives there it's fucking expensive as all fuck.

Honestly, if you're serious about moving to the city you need to do a ton and ton and ton of research and most likely have either 10K saved up or a job already lined up. I'd look into Queens if you were thinking about moving though.
>>
You can be an artist anywhere you know.
>>
>>2492941
Maybe he just wants to move to the greatest city in the world.
>>
>>2488753
Just go to Montreal
>>
>>2493257
A city where they refuse to speak English.
>>
No fuck you. What I need is a cheap physical space to set up a studio that's still in a city.

Detroit motherfuckers, is real estate really as cheap as everyone says it is? Can I get a house or building for five hundred bucks?
>>
>>2493267
You've obviously never lived in Montreal.
>>
>>2493268
The city is dying, you couldn't pay me to move there.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.